You have to be able to deal with the put downs to be a bard

The British Druid Order Forums Student Support Forums Bardic Student Support Forum You have to be able to deal with the put downs to be a bard

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Dowrgi
    Participant

I think it’s a sad reflection of modern society as a whole. I don’t want to get bogged down in lengthy political discussions, but, believe it or not, this also happens with what gets passed off as “Celtic” culture all the time. Not directly related to the issue of appropriation itself, but still pertinent in a sense, is Tolkien’s oft-quoted remark that “Celtic” is a like a magic bag in which anything can be put and anything can be taken out. Unfortunately, Celtic studies is blighted in a sense by this. It saddens me when I think of Celtic languages and cultures are actually struggling for survival and revival at this very moment in time.

You might be interested in what the Welsh scholar of Celtic studies, Dr Gwilym Morus-Baird, has to say about it. As an aside, I find his videos at Celtic Source very informative too.

Greywolf
    Keymaster

Britain seems to be peculiarly blighted with people who will, with great relish, verbally attack anyone bold enough to stick their head above any parapet. As a nation, we seem determined to undervalue and undermine those who ‘do’ anything. Maybe ‘doers’ make couch potatoes feel uncomfortable and embarrassed? I know that same happens elsewhere, but it does seem particularly prevalent here in Britain. However, as a wise sage once said, “Don’t let the bastards grind you down!” πŸ˜€

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.