ye olde

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    john welch
    Participant

Hullo, I’m new and am bent more towards the old than modern. Being old myself. In the Iron Age there were older cultures so where do you begin? I begin with a Celtic monument in Australia at Glen Innes which imitates Stonehenge which predates Druids so that’s out. Where am I?

Angela Lawton
    Participant

Hello John. I’m old as well.

Dowrgi
    Participant

Hello there John, welcome. I hope you find your time here rewarding.

Bennathow
    /|\

david poole
    Participant

Welcome John I hope that you find your time with us to be rewarding. Are you referring to the Neolithic by any chance?

john welch
    Participant

testing

john welch
    Participant

further testing
    greetings to all.
    Yes Stonehenge was Neolithic but maybe was used by some Celts.

john welch
    Participant

Roman buildings were used after Romans departed.
    The word ovate has the same word-root as vatican “prophecy”, Old Irish faith, Welsh ofydd. Vatican was an Etruscan word in Celtic times and then Roman. Celts were on Etruria’s border and at one stage invaded Rome. 

john welch
    Participant

The Surrey druid head-dress can be found at google [Wanborough Roman temple}. I can’t post the web address.

john welch
    Participant

This head-dress has a 5 spoked wheel which is not ban-the-bomb but may be ban-the-ballista weapon of Rome. Early Welsh pimp, Greek pente and Sanskrit panca means “five”.”Pandita was a title in Indian Buddhism awarded to scholars who have mastered the five sciences in which a learned person was traditionally supposed to be well-versed. The five sciences are: science of language , science of logic , science of medicine , science of fine arts and crafts , and science of spirituality . The stipulation can be traced to (but may well predate) the Mahavana, by Maitreya-Natha (ca. 270-350 CE), which states: “Without becoming a scholar in the five sciences, not even the supreme sage can become omniscient. For the sake of refuting and supporting others, and for the sake of knowing everything himself, he makes an effort in these [five sciences].” 

john welch
    Participant

The Surrey temple had a tree.
    Devadāru is a Sanskrit word referring to Cedrus deodara (Himalayan cedar), from the Pinaceae family. It is classified as a medicinal plant in the system of Āyurveda (science of Indian medicine) . It is native to the western Himalayas and the Indian subcontinent. It is worshiped as a divine tree among the Hindus and has several legends related to it. It is composed of the Sanskrit words deva (divine) and dāru (tree).”Source: _ Wisdom Library: Āyurveda and botany.
    Gaelic darach “boat of oak” resembles Urdu (Pakistan) darakht “tree” used for fine wood crafts.

The term daru is familiar as the possible root of druid and associates these 2 cultures. It seems that much Indian tradition came from the Mitanni and Mari people of Asia Minor-Iran.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Read moreAccept