Winter Solstice, Alban Arthan

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Winter Solstice, Alban Arthan

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Winter Solstice, Alban Arthan,

Winter solstice 21 December 2020, Winter solstice is the moment in which the sun enters Capricorn, winter solstice marks start of winter, Alban Arthan, welsh for light of winter, but there is more to it. However, many pagans think this is all just a marking of the winter, with the warmer weather coming, Not so. This is a time of very powerful solar energy, star energy, and this is why the druids were so interested in it, it is a liminal time, but also a time when star magic is increased. At Newgrange the sun rays would shine into the temple, and be amplified by the double spirals it crosses. It is like a feeling of bubbling champaign, a sparkling energy of the stars, and this is what the druids were after. But historians cannot grasp this, and only see it as a marking of time, which it is but so so much more. This is a true power day, a day to let the sun’s energy flow through you and heal you and brighten your spirit. On this time, open your mind and meditate, at the time that the sun enters Capricorn.

tony1kenobi
    Participant

Capricorn is a relatively modern designation for a constellation – is there any information on any Celtic or other ancient names / designations for constellations or other patterns in the sky?

Dannorix
    Participant

I can recommend “Celtic Astrology From the Druids To The Middle Ages” by M.G Boutet.

tony1kenobi
    Participant

Thanks Dannorix, looks a great reference, I was looking for something like that a week ago and now here it is 🙂

Dowrgi
    Participant

Capricorn is a relatively modern designation for a constellation – is there any information on any Celtic or other ancient names / designations for constellations or other patterns in the sky?

Morning.

I think Capricorn as a symbolic constellation designation traces its origins back to the Sumerian god Enki. I’m not so sure it’s that modern, unless, of course, we’re dealing with geological time! 😀 However, it’s all a bit tricky with astrology as an actual constellation, or rather when the sun is in that constellation, has shifted over time, whereas our astrological calculations represent those of thousands of years ago.

Dannorix has recommended Boutet’s work, which is very interesting. You might also enjoy reading an article you can find online: Celtic Astrology: A modern Hoax by the same author. Peter Berresford Ellis also writes on the matter of “Celtic astrology” in an article entitled The Fabrication of ‘Celtic’ Astrology, which is also online.

One thing that I find fascinating, is the possibility that the ancient cave paintings in parts of Europe may well have represented some kind of star calendar. If my memory serves me correctly, the central figures being the bull(s) (Taurus) and the bear (Ursa Major). That would put “star wisdom”, in European terms, back tens of thousands of years, which is really staggering if you think about it. If you’re interested in this, you should look up the work of Chantal Jègues-Wolkiewiez.

Bennathow
    /|\

tony1kenobi
    Participant

Thanks Dowrgi, I did indeed mean geological time, though at the same time I am not aware of all of the historical timelines, so it may be about time that I gave the time to look into it, given the time 🙂
    Some splendid references to look at, I shall indeed read them, thanks again

Dowrgi
    Participant

Thanks Dowrgi, I did indeed mean geological time, though at the same time I am not aware of all of the historical timelines, so it may be about time that I gave the time to look into it, given the time 🙂

To which I can only reply … Take your time! 😀

Bennathow
    /|\

tony1kenobi
    Participant

To which I can only reply … Take your time! 😀

indeed 🙂

Anonymous

Dear Tony, it is wonderful that you are taking part in the conversations, and your questions are grand, and may you know that the Celtic Gods and Goddesses, and the good folks, the gentry, will alway be helping you as they walk on the path of druidry. Best Star Tree

tony1kenobi
    Participant

Thanks Star Tree, much appreciated

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Read moreAccept