Who is your favorite super hero?

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Who is your favorite super hero?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Who is your favorite super hero?

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

Green Lantern!

I even got Dressed Up as Green Lantern for 2011 Haloween in the year that the Ryan Reynolds Movie came out.

3X3

david poole
    Participant

Green Lantern is underrated in my opinion, it is a lot better than some people said it was, I think it was critically panned at the time? Since you mention Ryan Reynolds the Deadpool movies are great.

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

How many of you consider Poison Ivy as their Favorite Batman Villain? I bet a few.

3X3

david poole
    Participant

I don’t think we have heard enough of her, she needs more coverage; close, but I would still say the Joker, nothing beats the Joker.

Dowrgi
    Participant

Sláine MacRoth from 2000 AD.

Link: https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/XB673

david poole
    Participant

When I was younger I used to follow all of the Marvel heroes. One hero who I did like who was a bit different was Swamp Thing. That was DC of course not Marvel. Alan Moore did a brilliant reinvention on that character. He used to appear in the old horror comics along with Dracula and the Wolfman.

Anonymous

so, fellow druids, I was thinking how much the Celtic Gods and goddesses are like the druids’ super heroes, and how much we all need role models and a sense of someone good protecting us from all the mean evil people in the world.Thinking about a conversation that Dowrgi wrote, I am really starting to believe that we are really decended from monkeys, and that is a lot to take in being that I was force fed christianity growing up. but it does not mean that we are not spiritual beings, and it helps me to get the idea that all thing have spirit in them, that is to say, trees, and rocks, and monkeys, and birds. druidry is a lot about seeing the spiritual and connections in all things and I find it very calming, and a completely different way to experience the world and life. However, even though all thing are connected in some ways, that does not stop the fierce competition of human beings for resources like clean water and air and gold and minerals and we are living in a very technological world. So a lot of our energy goes to competition for resources. Still there is love and kindness and many good people, but there is also a reality of people who really are not so nice, and governments that really are evil and torture and harm their members. So, we all need super heroes to make the world right. I really like the flash, because the bass player for the Grateful Dead, Phil lesh, was nicknamed the flash during the 70s. Unfortunately, Phil, took lsd for two years straight, and it was strong lsd, and I think it really effed him up, and then he spent 10 years as a drunk in a bar, but he was also the guy who named the koolaid, electric koolaid. and Phil was a great bass player, he was the guy who wrote the bass line to the dead song truckin. I know that most of the grateful dead music sucks, but they had some great songs in the American beauty album, and working man’s dead album. both these albums came out in the early 70s, before disco duck. As druids, we can’t escape reality, but we can make our relationship with nature more important in our lives, and we can enjoy the treasure chest of early Celtic stories and writings, that by the way, seem to be full of super heroes.

david poole
    Participant

I like Slaine and really need to read more of that, the stories look great and that character is impressive. I was going to mention Neil Gaiman’s Sandman as a superhero, if that is the right term. Sleep appears to be more like some kind of god or archetype. These stories delve into some mythic themes, many of them do this but I am thinking of A Midsummer Night’s Dream as a very powerful example. In this story the Long Man of Wilmington becomes a portal to the land of faerie on Midsummer’s Eve. The preceding story, The Dream of a Thousand Cats, demonstrates the power of dreams and ideas to shape reality when enough people share them together. Death is also a very interesting character and has appeared in some good stories, like The Life of Death. Worth a look.

Dowrgi
    Participant

Hi David.

I really only used to read 2000 AD as a youngster and Sláine MacRoth was always my favourite. In my opinion, The Horned God series was the best of all of them. All of the Sláine stories are a great blend of fantasy fiction with Celtic mythology and quite well-researched as well as being imaginative and the artwork is brilliant throughout.

Bennathow
    /|\

Dowrgi
    Participant

Other graphic novels you may be interested in may include:

Y Mabinogi (2002) by Mike Collins and Colmán Ó Raghallaigh’s An Táin. An Táin is in Irish, but there’s an online translation available in English.

david poole
    Participant

Does Judge Dredd count as a superhero? It is really more Judge Dredd that I remember from the 2000AD comics than anybody else. He doesn’t have any superpowers so I guess that makes him more like Batman, only with a badge.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.