What is Druidness?

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum What is Druidness?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

What are traditional druid values? What are we being taught of our Celtic heritage, and have we forgotten who the druids were? More importantly, are we creating an imagined past, and taking shelter in artificial traditionalism, A dark roundabout way on the path, or a continuity, of a druidry that holds us up, witnessed by the Celtic gods and goddesses. Are you the person others see, or the person you know when by yourself? I do not know, answers are plenty in the by and by. This is where the hope that we are more than we think we are ( what is unseen) rolls. Confident in past future and present. And a desire for something beyond. And it what direction is this desire leading? Are you developing self-assertion and aggression strategies to get what you want, for society rewards capable aggressive assertion, and you know that notion of freedom to be who you are just crossed your mind, and are you growing in love of awen, free of anxiety, to feel alive, to feel the love of the source of nature. Love comes from love. Can we hold each other up when others can no longer hold themselves up from drowning in consumer mentality? And can druidry be a place where we can experience the joy of letting go of anxiety and selfishness? It takes stillness to receive the gifts of nature. And our relationship with nature makes us whole. It is a gift that costs not less than everything. Bright Blessings Star Tree

david poole
    Participant

I think that we are making some kind of effort in our imperfect ways but it takes a lot of time to study and to incorporate the lessons and knowledge of the past; I don’t think anyone should underestimate how difficult an undertaking this is. I think that we partially follow the past and partially follow what we are told to do, and partially follow our hopes and fears and dreams. This is not to say that we are floundering, for I think that there are many good reasons to be making the attempt.

Dowrgi
    Participant

What are traditional druid values?

You could do worse than do some research into the Brehons or breithiúna of ancient Ireland, I think you’ll find a lot of glimpses into how some ancient Celtic peoples saw the world and thus formulated their values.

Bennathow
    /|\

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Dowrgi.
    Anonymous

to incorporate the lessons and knowledge of the past

David, I think this is a great way to look at druidry, and Dowrgi I feel that you are saying about the same thing with more of and emphasis on the Brehons. One of the things I am finding is that druidry helps me to see history and even religions in a new and more positive way with more possibilities. it is like I can now look at things like the Bible or other texts, and find the positive points and values of the past, without getting caught up in the dogma, and shalls. Looking at things that way helps me to see more posibilities. I can look at these texts and ask questions about what I agree with, and what I would do different if I was in a culture in the past. on a more trippy side, druidry is as close to time travel as I think I will get in this life, and studying the past with an open mind. Bright blessings star tree

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

What is Druidness you ask?

Try Reading This Book: Essential Guide To Druidism by Isaac Bonewits:

That is a Good Place to Start.

3X3

david poole
    Participant

I might try that 3 x 3. I was just going to recommend another book which I have just finished, The Bardic Book of Becoming by Ivan McBeth. The late Ivan used to be a circle builder and was also a camp father for OBOD Camps along with his partner Fearn Lickfield. I happened to meet both of them during one camp back in the 90s which Philip Carr Gomm also attended. Ivan’s approach is very spiritual and very unique, at one point he describes it as Ivanism. It is very Bardic in places, at other times less obviously so. There is a very powerful section on spirit journeying and going on journeys to discover your spirit guide animal. Ivan has an encounter with the White Stag, which appears to be his personal guide. At one point he describes the Ovate studies, in his version, as learning how to use a magical wand and how to imbue it with power; this, in my opinion, was rather too individual and seriously misrepresented the Ovate grade studies, anyone who knows about that subject will probably realise that this is true, although he does later change this slightly into something a little more accurate. There are a lot of rituals and suggestions for practical activities, as well as working with the elements and the elementals. Bobcat does recommend the book in a section at the beginning, with the caveat that she does not agree with everything that Ivan says. I was not sure about his statement that you have to belong to a school or an order in order to learn Druidry; Ivan is very harsh in insisting on this, saying that anyone who does not belong to a school or an order should go away and do something else instead. There is a lot in this book about getting in touch with a more innocent version of yourself known as the Magical Child, which is very different and very energising as it leads to all kinds of ideas and suggestions. There are a lot of ideas here and some statements which readers may disagree with, but it might prove very useful to some.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Read moreAccept