What a transformational expereince!

The British Druid Order Forums Student Support Forums Bardic Student Support Forum What a transformational expereince!

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Tom Moxon
    Participant

Hi everyone,
    I am nearing the end of the bardic course now, and can hand on heart say that this course has helped me to get in touch with my creative side again no end. I have begun to write so much poetry in my journal, read ancient poetry as a performance and much more. When I was 10 years old, I began to learn the violin. By the time I was 16 I was a grade 8 standard and won myself a position in the Birmingham Conservatoire Juniors to study A level music. However, life is life, and things happen, people die who were your rock, and things really knock the boat and cause you to go off course. I never finished my music A level, my confidence was knocked in my violin playing, so I left the conservatoire and found a private teacher. My main aim was to have an audition piece ready to play for the Royal Academy of Music. I began to play and this particular teacher told me I would be a joke to even contemplate an audition at such a college. I then gave up. I was 17, I put the violin away and never had another lesson. However, I played a lot of folk music with my family over a drink, in pubs and even had 1 paid gig at a wedding. But I never pursued it like I would have or imagined I would have when I was young. I am now 28, I have gone through this course, and I have began to pick up my violin again. Granted I am out of practice, so I took the plunge (after pulling the fool card in the tarot) and got myself my first violin lesson in 11 years. This course has given me that confidence to open my heart to the Awen, and go for it. So thank you BDO!
    I do not know what my final piece will be to hand over, it could be a poem, a piece of music or anything. But I do know that your lessons have opened my heart again to the creative energies that are available to all of us.
    So thank you 🙂

• This topic was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Tom Moxon.
    Dowrgi
    Participant

Hi Tom,

It’s nice to hear that the course is working for you and that you’re tapping into the vast reserve of talent you obviously have. Keep up the good work and let the awen flow!

Bennathow
    /|\

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Dowrgi.
    Greywolf
    Participant

Hey Tom,
    That’s wonderful to hear. It’s why we do what we do. I very much look forward to hearing you play. I have a great admiration for violin-players, partly due to having never got the hang of the instrument myself. It has no frets. How can that possibly work? 😉
    Seriously, thank you for your kind words which have greatly brightened a rainy day.
    many blessings,
    Greywolf /|\

Tom Moxon
    Participant

Thanks for the kind relies.

@greywolf
    , everyone asks how we play without frets haha, and it comes down to something called “sympathetic vibrations.” So without going to deep, if I play an A on the string, perfectly in tune, I will see my A open strong vibrating “in sympathy” with it. It’s lots of knowing your instrument, feeling and seeing the vibrations and of course practice. I’ve written a piece of music about the goddess Brigit, and will hopefully record and share on the Facebook page.
    Have a lovely weekend everyone,
    Blessings
    Tom

Dowrgi
    Participant

Hi Tom,

I have a bass guitar and I must admit I really would love to be able play something half-decent on a fretless bass, that, in my opinion, is a whole different level! 😀

Bennathow

/|\

david poole
    Participant

It is nice to hear that you are being so inspired Tom, please keep it going.

Jen Bottom
    Participant

Hi Tom, I’m glad you’re finding the course so enjoyable.
    as a small child I had a few violin lessons, but a combination of many factors (including a teacher who unfortunately didn’t want or have the time to teach a blind student) put me off.
    A few years ago I bought an old violin in a secondhand shop on a whim.
    Luckily I also managed to find an amazing violin maker and restore nearby who was very reasonably priced and it turned out that once the instrument was fixed up it wasn’t terrible.
    I’m having lessons as an adult learner and although I find it very challenging I am enjoying it.
    It might not be apparent in my final Submission for the course, but I am making progress and it gives me so much joy when I complete a note or two that don’t sound like dying fighting cats.
    Also I’m really glad I can give my Violin a second chance at having some sort of life if that makes sense?
    When I took it for some repair work it was pointed out to me that somebody had obviously loved it enough to have the neck graft it back on.
    This is despite it having a label and probably coming from a French factory around the turn-of-the-century.
    The fact that somebody had either the money desirable skills to do that makes me want to keep playing it for as long as possible and hopefully get to a standard that the instrument deserves.
    Piece and best wishes,
    Jen.

Lisa Klozenberg
    Participant

Hi there! I’m on the Bardic course and ..well..guess what? I attended the Birmingham Conservatoire studying piano and clarinet 1990-1993! Did a B.Ed at UCE 1997, gigged, taught, gave up due to an ulnar nerve elbow operation last Summer. This course has reminded me I can still play the recorder!I can cross-stitch, sing, critique all types of music , thus the only loss is my right hand motor strength.rock and roll!! Blessings.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Bardic Student Support Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Read moreAccept