Walking Staff Making

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Walking Staff Making

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

Here is my Newest Completed Hiking Stick:

July 12 Maple Walking Stick

I made it from a Branch taken from the Giant Maple Tree that is located on the Grounds of the Buddhist Temple Community Garden that I like Volunteering for.

I kept it for a week in my Hot Car to try to Dry It Out as best I can in Hopes that when I take the Bark off that the Outer Wood Ring would not Split Apart like what happened to my Canada Day Maple Stick.

Keeping it in the Hot Car for a Week did not matter so the Wood Split again which I had to fill in with Wood Putty.

I then Sanded it smooth and gave it a Coat of Varnish then applied Handle and Foot Pad.

3X3

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

And here is my Newly Finished Hiking Stick with Three Others that I now have up for either Adoption or Sale:

Four Hiking Sticks

3X3

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

Not only am I Crafting Hiking Sticks, but I am also using such Crafts for mending Tools from the Community Garden.

Here is a Broken Pitch Fork with a Fallen Branch that I thought would make a good Replacement Handle:

Broken Pitch Fork

3X3

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

And after I Crafted a New Pitch Fork Handle of out the Branch and having Painted the shaft Yellow:

Restored Pitch Fork

3X3

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

Awens to All:

Just finished my latest Walking Stick.

It is from a Foraging Meetup that I went on and I dragged this Branch out of the Forest to make into a Walking Stick that Commemorated the Meetup Event.

I just finished it off and it is Dedicated to ‘Peace Between The Races’.

Here it is:

Peace Races Stick

3X3

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

Awens to All:

Just Finished a New Walking/Hiking Stick.

It is made from a Fallen Alder Branch that I found at South Delta Recreation Center when I went there to do some Invasive Weed Removal in the Park.

I had my First Go at Carving a Fish Handle Head Piece for the Streamkeeper Creek Hiking Stick that I decided to make in Commemoration of the July 28th Invasive Weed Removal that we did that day.

Here is the Finished Streamkeeper Walking Stick that I made:

Yellow Fish Walking Stick

3X3

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

And here is a Closeup of the Yellow Fish Headpiece:

Yellow Fish Headpiece

3X3

david poole
    Participant

Amazing work there 3 x 3 you have done well.

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

I have always Tried Doing Well.

The 2nd Yellow Fish Headpiece is already in Production.

So stay Tuned.

3X3

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

Awens to All:

Last Weekend, I put the Finishing Touches on a Walking Stick that I Harvest from the Community Garden on August 1st Lughnasad.

So this Walking Stick Represents The 2020 Lughnasad:

Lughnasad Walking Stick

Today, I stripped the Bark off of Two Sticks and got a Start on a Special Head Piece. I also got some Restorations done a Head Piece that I Broke by Accident

So Stayed Tuned for Even More Walking Stick Making!

3X3

Anonymous

green wood takes one year per inch thick to dry, still a walking stick is not the same as a wand, or stang. for a wand to be magic it has to be cut off a living tree, best use a tree saw and make it quick. tell the tree what you are going to do before hand. always peel bark while green, should roll back like a banana. some people try to capture the dryad energy in the wand, so times of moon and sun are important. be sure you know how to prune without hurting tree before you pull this one.

Henry Sanders
    Participant

I will post a picture up on here that I made a staff which was a fallen branch from Birch tree. It resonated me as it’s my birth month as well which I informed the birch tree and gave gratitude for the branch I was given. It was at Coconino National Forest near Sedona, Arizona. Wonderful forests to walk around there to connect with nature. So, I slipped and fell on big rocks when trying to go across the torrent river. I’ll explain what happened later. I’m looking forward to participate with you all! Awen to you all! /|\

Xan

Anonymous

B – Beith- Birch, renewel, new beginnings, self protection, ruled by venus in Sagittarius, keep away evil, witches use the birch brooms to clear negative energy before casting a compass. Bark can be used for tanning, for wands, harvest from dec 24-jan 20 at full moon. Or at dawn at imbloc feb 1, some see her as the white lady. This a tricky tree to deal with.

Anonymous

I don’t see any reason you can’t prune a tree and take off a staff or a wand, and in many cases pruning a tree can hep it. Just be sure you don’t cut into the bud or damage the bark, a big branch will require several cuts, starting at the bottom and then from the top. Cut as close to tree as can, but do not cut the bud where the branch comes out of the tree. I would tell the tree what you are about to do and explain why. and then there is that idea of running water, and you have to take it out of the stream in the direction the water is flowing to get the energy. lot’s of witches are really into the energy, and they must have a reason for it. whatever you do, don’t damage tree bark, or carve initials into tree because that is bad juju. I have had trees tell me they don’t like metal objects around, or at least the tree spirit told me that. and the trees seem to know when a druid or witch is around it, but I really at this point don’t see a lot of difference in a witch and a druid, they are both Neo-pagans. I think the druids liked the oaks because there seem to be a lot of awen around oaks, and oak tree spirits can be easy to communicate with, and if a tree does become your friend, you will find yourself hanging out around the tree. I also find it interesting how all the young children in a neighborhood will gather under an old oak tree. They really can be very friendly. but I guess trees can have personalities like people do, and some trees probably just don’t like humans at all. I would think if a tree was really mad about you taking a part of it for a wand or a walking stick or a stang, the tree would tell you. I know it would tell me. So I would probably ask if its okay before cutting, and if I did not hear anything back, I would tell the tree what and why I am cutting the limb, explain to it that it was in no harm, but there are some cuts that require that you seal the cut with something afterwards, so that would probably be important to know what trees need what.

Anonymous

the one place I would be careful though is around oaks, for they often have dryads in them, the dryads are spirits that live in and around trees, and are also known as tree nymphs, and don’t damage any sacred trees or solitary oak trees standing in a middle of a field, that is a clear indication that the tree is sacred and has faery protection, same with Hawthorn, hawthorn in hedges can be cut because it is usually planted as a hedgerow, but don’t even think about cutting a lone hawthorn in a field, because it will be under faery protection and you will be in big trouble. when in doubt don’t cut. also I would stay away from taking a branch from an ancient tree. badd juju to try that one.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Read moreAccept