Vegan Druid

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Startree
    Participant

After looking at this all as a druid world that is spiritually connected, it now makes sense to me to become a vegan. Do you think that druids should be vegan, and why? Or why not?

Dannorix
    Participant

Druids should never condone the horrors of Big Industry, which includes the meat- and dairy industries, but also the B-12 shots and all the necessary supplements from Big Pharma and all the fruit and vegetables that has to be flown in from over the whole world all year around to sustain a vegan lifestyle. This type of monoculture is also devastating for the enviroment. There’s is nothing wrong with eating meat, eggs or cheese. Just buy it locally produced by biological farmers and only eat what the season has to offer. The animals should of course be treated with the utmost respect for their sacrifice. If it is done on a small scale and with respect, I don’t see an ethical problem, as we are omnivores. If you have a yard, take some chickens. The vegan pretence to be above and better than Nature and our ancestors is a prime example of not being spiritually connected. I know there’s much more to say about this subject, so I will come back to this.

Startree
    Participant

Hi Dannorix, I feel it is the evolution of becoming a druid that it leads to vegetarian, as you see how all things are connected, and I don’t understand why people want the energy of dead cow meat, or chewing on chicken flesh, because the cows don’t go munching on us, and it is not like we need to eat them, in fact if all animals are our relations, then we are eating our friends, and being monster flesh eaters. the main stumbling block to becoming a vegetarian is to learn how to eat good non meat food, and you also have to learn to cook beans, by bringing them to a boil, washing them, and bringing them back to a boil in fresh water. there is plenty of non meat food out there. I see being a vegetarian as the only ethical thing to do, once you start understanding how all life is interrelated, and how animals have a spirit too,
    and how we do not have the right just to go killing animals if we do not have to, which we don’t. I see all life as sacred spirit, and I am related to all that life, and a part of the spirit of the earth, and I just do not think that killing animals is right, plus, just think of all the drugs that are put into domesticated animals, and he cruel life they lead, and I don’t want lots of chemicals and drugs, and who knows what in my body from eating meat. I mean snacking on a steak is like being a creature from hell chewing on flesh. It is really not very enlightened to eat meat, and I think all druids eventually will be vegetarians because it is logical after you learn that all life is spiritually connected, and spirit has consciousness, and how does the animal feel to be killed and eaten, or the fox to be chased, I don’t think there is any right way to eat animals, and there are many other good foods to eat besides animal flesh.

david poole
    Participant

Our ancestors used to make a lot of use out of animals, keeping them, using their furs and skins, using their bones as tools. In the past, no-one had any problem with keeping or killing animals, it is only in modern times that values have changed. Also animal sacrifice was only outlawed last century. Having said that animals consume quite a lot of plant matter and are an effort to look after, it would make more sense to simply eat the vegetables that they eat, it would last much longer.

Dannorix
    Participant

Hi Startree, I can see you are very passionate about this and this is of course a huge subject. It will take an lengthy essay to go in to it at depth. A few points then. All things are indeed connected, and we are also connected to the plant world and the trees. Vegans also say that we can eat plants, because they are not sentient. Of course Druids disagree with this.
    The way you are describing it, the words you use, is purely human emotion. Animals are sacred, and they deserve our respect, just as plants and trees are sacred and deserve our respect. So how can we make a distinction there? I’m pretty sure the wolf and the deer respect each other, in ways that we can’t really comprehend, but still the wolf eats the deer. Purely biological we eat animals because it constitutes a healthy diet. Vegans lack all sorts of nutrients, and have to supplement with chemicals and drugs. Of course, don’t eat meat or dairy from the absolutely horrendous meat-industry. But eating meat and the large scale industry are not the same thing, althougth vegans always conflate these things for emotional arguments sake. When I eat meat, I’m always deeply aware of the sacrifice that has been made. Again, I abhor the large scale industry. I think the whole vegan trend is just a sign that we move away from nature and the natural state of death. We are not outside of the cycle, and city life has made us disconnected from it.

david poole
    Participant

In Nature animals hunt and kill other animals for food, not for sport. I think that this is one thing that humans do that is truly barbaric, killing for sport. This really upsets me, far more than anything else. Of course we also have laboratories where animals are used for testing. Maybe we have a choice and maybe we don’t. There is no end to the debate that we might have around this subject. Bobcat discusses meat factories in her book Living With Honour. I vividly remember her description of the food industry as a kind of Soylent Pink nightmare.

Dannorix
    Participant

I absolutely agree, animal testing, elephant rides, fur industries, trophy hunting, circusses and all the other horrendous exploitation of animals are beyond despicable. I don’t own a copy of Living With Honour, but I managed to read a bit on books.google. She too first states that we don’t need meat and then goes straight to the horrors of the meat industry. This is a false argument. It’s like an ascete saying we don’t need sex because woman are being raped. If you have a yard and you keep some chickens and eat their eggs, are you maltreating them? The vegan alternative is that they should not live at all. I saw vegans already arguing that we should interfere with predators in the wild, because of the suffering they inflict. That goes to show how far these people are removed from Nature. It’s a typical mindset of the overcivilized citydweller. The ultimate culprit is industrialization. We must advocate a simpler life. Just eat local products, and meat and eggs from small scale biological farms.

Dannorix
    Participant

Okay, I’m already see from reading the excerpt a little further that she is adressing a lot of the points I’m making here. Time to order this book, I guess. Slighty annoyed already that she uses the term “the” Pagan, and “the” Pagan perspective. Sounds pretty dogmatic.

david poole
    Participant

I think that Living With Honour is a very powerful book, one of the best which I have ever read so far and certainly worth tracking down. I was going to make a point here about organic farming and buying local, we can save pesticides from entering our food chain and make sure that good practices are followed as well as saving on the energy expended on transport by choosing our purchases more wisely, of course in an ideal world we would all be growing our own food but many people have probably never thought of that idea.

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

Becoming a Vegan does No Harm so Do As You Freely Will.

3X3

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

David Poole wrore:

I think that this is one thing that humans do that is truly barbaric, killing for sport.

Nowadays, a lot of People agree with You. That is why the Tradition of Fox Hunting has been Abolished.

3X3

Startree
    Participant

this is such a great discussion, and I am really learning a lot from hearing everyone’s views, and thank you, and it is not easy going vegan, but I feel that druidry does change us to be better humans and it also lifts our levels of consciousness higher, which can only make us better people. I love druidry. druidry makes me happy. I thought I was eating healthy by drinking coffee mate and not low fat milk in my coffee, but I found out the I am not cool with the ingredients in Coffey mate now that I have looked them up, and I don’t like anything with phosphoric acid in it, like many fizzy drinks have. I think I am going to have to drink some skim milk for my coffee. and no way is anyone getting my coffee cup out of my hands, I love that stuff. and I will eat breads or treats made with eggs not because I want to but it looks like there is not enough non egg food around, so I will have to eat some until I can learn more about eating vegetarian. I think that all farmers should have to ask the crops for permission before they cut them down for food, and now many crops such as corn are harvested by gps computer controlled combines, and no people are onboard the big harvester, and that is just weird. we could put a lot of people to work if we would insist on organic foods. we not only lost the farms, we lost the community of people who knew the land. and I am going to get an oak magic wand and I need to get the wand from a live tree, and I will ask permission from the tree, but what if all the trees say no? and I need some other wands too, and wands are suppose to come from a live tree not a dead tree. Best Startree

Startree
    Participant

I don’t think I will make it as a vegan. I am getting to fat on bread, will have to munch on some grilled chicken,
    sorry chickens. I don’t want to eat any fish because of the micro plastic in seafood. Will try to eat as few
    chickens as I can. definitely can stay away from eating other creatures.

Startree
    Participant

I think plants have spirits to them and are conscious, and that animals do too, and even places, but, and there is the big but, after growing up a non vegan, it becomes difficult to go fully vegan. I just don’t think I have it in me, but maybe latter, as I become a better druid. I am glad druids don’t have laws, and rules, or no one could be a druid. we all have a lot of healing to do, and so does this planet, but remember we are now in the age of Aquarius, and the old fish days are leaving. still the fish is putting up its last fight before it gets gone, and the sooner the better. we need new ways of seeing the world, and it is upsetting that things are not changing for the better yet, but they will, as fishy, swims away and does not show up again for a couple of million of years, for now is the sign of the water, and he new age, and the road to ecotopia, and 3 million years is a long time, even in a compressed time world, so watch out for the killer drones, and Just try your best, for now, thing will get rolling soon for the better, even if they don’t seem to be blasting off right now.

Startree
    Participant

I hate blueberries, they taste like buggers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Read moreAccept