Three Branches of Druidry

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Three Branches of Druidry

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Spellcaster
    Participant

There are three separate branches of druidry. The first branch is what I call Gaulish druidry, which was practiced from Rome to France to Germany. And the chief god of Gaulish druidry is Cernunnos. As I understand it, this form of druidry sees the underworld as a dark place. Then, there is another kind of Druidry practiced in southern Brittan, which I call Norse Druidry. It is the druidry of the wyrd, destiny, an Anglo-Saxon druidry. And then there is the druidry of Ireland and Scotland, the Tuatha de Danann druidry, And this is the druidry of the faeries and the underworld being full of light, like R. J. Stewart writes about. The fact that there are three branches of druidry explains why so many different druids argue over what a druid is. Different druids are coming from different branches of druidry, just like there are different branches of christianity and Buddhism. A Thousand Blessings on this Summer Solstice 2020 BlueFalcon

Dowrgi
    Participant

Hi. I hope you’re enjoying the solstice period.

I think there could be some problems with your hypothesis. The Romans didn’t really get on with the Gauls or the Celtic peoples at large for most of their history and they certainly didn’t like druids. A Roman knight was even put to death for having a “druid” amulet during a court case and druidry was banned by imperial decree. You also notice that the Romans, as a whole, tend to be far more hostile to the druids/Celts/Gauls in their writings than the Greeks. Another problem is that Celtic-speaking peoples populated vast swathes of Northern Italy from early times, but there is no mention of druids among them by any classical writer, likewise, there seems to be no mention of druids in Celtic Iberia either.

The Germanic Anglo-Saxons, had their own pagan beliefs that may have borne some similarity to pagan Celtic beliefs, but there is little to suggest that they had druids, the word drycræft exists in Old English, but it seems to have been adapted from either Old Irish or Old Brythonic. The Anglo-Saxons in England, weren’t pagans for particularly long before they converted to Christianity and by the time the Viking raiders started to arrive, they were thoroughly Christian in their outlook – albeit with many older folk elements mixed in. Furthermore, they didn’t really get on with the Welsh, Cumbrians or men of the Old North and the West Welsh or Cornish – who by that time were part of Romano-Christian culture. The Norse cultures had seiðr, but I don’t think that we can call them druids and the attitudes towards the seiðr were very different from the attitudes towards druids in Celtic societies.

Bennathow
    /|\

Spellcaster
    Participant

Hi Dowrgi, I am having a swell Summer Solstice, and have been playing my harp, which I do have amplified, but it sounds really good, I have an LR Baggs Classical Guitar pickup in the harp on the soundboard, that has a contact mic and a real mic and it sounds wonderful, and I have a Mesa Boggie Rosette acoustic amp with the 10 inch speaker that is made for acoustic instruments, so the whole rig sounds like heaven. I have been working on the song Saddle the Pony, which I know the goddess Rhiannon Loves, and I am playing the Fleetwood Mac song Rhiannon on the harp and it sound great on the harp. Also, I wanted to thank you for your post on the books, about the Celtic stories. And all of your insight on that. And I knew I was going to get a reply on this one from you. So let me see what wise words you said. Thank you for that information, and it looks like I will have to study up on some more history on this. Please post again if you can think of anything else that could apply to this idea. I am just starting to work on it so I guess I will need to put a lot of research into the topic. But it should be fun. Oh, I am also working up the story of Taliesin for bard work, so I can tell the story and at the same time play my harp in the background. The thing about harps is it is very hard to hit a bad note on them and even sound better when you know how to play one. I hope you can get a harp, I think you would really like it, and it is a druid instrument that even academics and really intelligent and studious people like you like. I know you like history and language, and I just think that a lot of people who like those subjects would like harp music. I like the pilgrim ashdown model, but you might be able to find one used in a junk shop, and there are even really old ones that can be found in second hand shops. Also, try to get gut strings if you are interested. It is nice to be able to tell a bardic tale and back it up with the harp. Thanks again for all your good information, it always helps. I wish you a wonderful Summer Solstice. BlueFalcon

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Read moreAccept