The withces museum in Boscatle

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum The withces museum in Boscatle

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Angela Lawton
    Participant

I didn’t say this before but I believe I picked up a negative entity from the Boscastle Witches museum in cornwall when we visited it with my young family years ago. They still had the witch on display then and they were playing a weird childrne’s rhyme in the backgroundand aleicester Crowley was being venerated. I believe that entity followed me from there and the only thing to get rid of it was a plea for help from Christ. He overcomes all darkness, he answered me. So I’m not into witchtraft at all.

Dave TheDruid-3X3
      Participant

When I was in Portsmouth Touring the HMS Victory, I recall seeing a Witch Museum Sign along a Road not far from the Youth Hostel I was staying at.

Did not bother checking it out though. I was mainly interested in seeing the HMS Victory.

3X3

Carl Harris
        Participant

Dydh da,

Christianity is witchcraft.
          The darkness you speak of is darker than black.

Mar pleg, Dagda will guide you – not this ‘christ’ you speak of.

Bednath

Angela Lawton
          Participant

“this Christ” there is only one Christ not a random Joe in history. Don’t talk bollocks mate!

Dowrgi
            Participant

Dyth da onen hag oll,

Dagda, the great father, ‘dago-dewos’ = the good god. Mabon – Maponos – the ‘divine son’, akin to Irish Mac Óg, ap Modron – the divine mother.

A good god, a divine mother, a divine child.

Perhaps some truths are universal, expressed/revealed in different ways as appropriate to the understandings of the people of the time.

Food for thought …

Dursona, kres ha bennathow
              /|\

Angela Lawton
              Participant

Bindings and loosing, invocations and spells. Celtic prayers. The power of the written and spoken word.

Angela Lawton
                Participant

Bindings and loosings, that may not be correct, terms in witchcraft so I believe. spiritual exercises to cut spiritual cords and all that stuff, gold eggs to protect and shield auras, channelling white light from above and violet flame from below and all that. So much to do and remember does any of it work? Cleansing spaces. Or is a simple prayer and intention enough?

Angela Lawton
                  Participant

The Apostles were given the power to forgive or retain sins.

Angela Lawton
                    Participant

Was Fionn from Ceile De tuning in earlier. I got much information quite quickly.

Angela Lawton
                      Participant

I don’t believe in the Celtic Christ of the British Isles. I am rooted in the Bible and the tribes of Israel from which we are all most likely descended in the British Isles anyway, we are a mix. The Lost tribes of Israel and all that. I believe scripture is God’s word spoken through the Prophets and open inspired people. It is not a man made religion, it may have been subject to changes and excessive male influence but that doesn’t make it invalid. The church takes twists and turns and survives, it will survive after I am dead, subsequent generations will carry it forward, I have no doubt. God has the final word.

Angela Lawton
                        Participant

Ceile De, I seem to remember that you opted out of being included in the Roman Catholic Church but now maybe it would be a beneficial time to merge with it and bring your spiritual chants, music and stories to complete a cycle. Orders on their own don’t survive as a rule and you are a vital link.

Dowrgi
                          Participant

This thread has evolved a lot since talking about the Museum of Witchcraft in Boscastle …

Bindings and loosing, invocations and spells. Celtic prayers. The power of the written and spoken word. | Bindings and loosings, that may not be correct, terms in witchcraft so I believe. spiritual exercises to cut spiritual cords and all that stuff, gold eggs to protect and shield auras, channelling white light from above and violet flame from below and all that. So much to do and remember does any of it work? Cleansing spaces. Or is a simple prayer and intention enough?

Well, the idea of binding and loosening is by no means restricted to one particular faith group or belief system. The Irish words ‘Atomruig indíu …‘ (I bind myself today… ) begin the first five stanzas, and the tenth, of the Lorica Sancti Patricii (St Patrick’s Breastplate), linked to the idea of féth fíada, the mystical veil or mist – a power that ‘passed’ to the Christian saints.

I don’t believe in the Celtic Christ of the British Isles.

I don’t know anyone else who does either, I don’t think that there’s anything in any Christian group that claims a ‘Celtic Christ’. A Christ through Celtic eyes may be another matter. That a certain amount of syncretism and influences from local pre-Christian populations filtered into what became ‘mainstream’ Christianity is, I believe, generally accepted – and the Catholic Church itself, especially in the early period, underwent these influences, not to mention the assimilation of pre-Christian ideas that were held worthy, notably the ideas of Aristotle and Plato – Justin Martyr: ‘Whatever things were rightly said among all men, are the property of us Christians.‘ (Second Apology; Chapter XIII). For as long as Christianity has existed there have been mystics, mystery schools so to speak, and those who have meditated upon profound ideas of our existence and meaning in the world.

I am rooted in the Bible and the tribes of Israel from which we are all most likely descended in the British Isles anyway, we are a mix.

I’m not sure about that. Notions of British-Israelism, related to Imperial era Anglo-Saxon exceptionalism, were around in the 19th and early 20th centuries, however, they generally tend to be seen as pseudohistorical and their core tenets have long been refuted. If you want to take an Abrahamic approach, we’re all descended from Adam and Eve at the end of the day. Furthermore, a lot of modern Christian theology isn’t that easily found in scripture alone, which I believe was one of the contentious issues during the Reformation.

Orders on their own don’t survive as a rule and you are a vital link.

St Francis of Assisi began preaching without a licence or ‘official’ approval …

Bennathow
                            /|\

Angela Lawton
                            Participant

Thanks Dowrgi. Respect and good wishes.

Dowrgi
                              Participant

You’re welcome Angela. Many blessings to you, too.

Digressing a little, but also connected a little to this, I’ve found through my years of research that one has to exercise a lot of caution with anything claimed to be ‘Celtic’. Albeit perhaps with the best of intentions, but Victorian romanticism, along with many other 19th century notions, has a lot to answer for in many ways! A legacy of a lot of spurious nonsense being written about the Celts, something which continues to this day, means that a seeker has to pan a lot of silt to find the nuggets – or perhaps there’s a lesson in that, too?

The idea of a Celtic church that was separate from the Roman church is to a great extent the product of political, religious, and historiographical ideas emerging from the Tudor period and continuing to the Celtic Revival in the 19th century – it is in many ways an historical fiction. In fact, the ‘Celtic church’ – during that great flowering of Celtic culture in the so-called Dark Ages – was in many ways far more austere, stricter, and severe. Nevertheless, I think an argument can be made for a Celtic outlook on the ‘new’ faith that arrived on these shores, a Celtic interpretation and, let’s not be too harsh on our ancestors either, they were thinking, intelligent, contemplative people, too, so their reception and expression of Christianity would naturally have been conditioned by their own culture – as history shows, a relatively ‘smooth’ transition in comparison to other places. Regardless of theology or whatever one chooses to believe, or disbelieve, the realities of birth, life, death, love, hate, harvest and famine, law and order, our relationship with nature and natural phenomena, are pretty universal – being at one with existence and finding peace therein is surely the ultimate goal.

Bennathow
                                /|\

Dave TheDruid-3X3
                                Participant

Awens to All:

I found the Website of the Witches Museum in Boscastles:

Home

3X3

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.