The Spoon of the Breast?

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum The Spoon of the Breast?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Keziah
    Participant

I’m working with the Twelve Doorways right now. Something about them really speaks to me. The ‘spoon of the breast’ is mentioned but I can’t work out where exactly it’s talking about. How have other people interpreted it?

Dowrgi
    Participant

Hello Keziah,

The original text, Bretha (2A) has clais ochta the “hollow of the breast” lit. “spoon of the breast”, which Binchy’s article indicates as the supracrestal fossa or, in less technical terminology, the cavity of the throat. There is also a discussion of whether the twelve doors or portals are of the soul or life, in terms of the nuances of the Irish word anim.

Bennathow
    /|\

Dowrgi
    Participant

The article is by D. A. Binchy and in the notes there is also a discussion of some of the questions regarding translation and interpretation. The article I’m referring to is available at JSTOR: Binchy, D. A. “Bretha Déin Chécht.” Ériu, vol. 20, 1966, pp. 1–66.

Bennathow
    /|\

Dowrgi
    Participant

PS. Sorry about the odd way I’ve replied, for some reason the forum wouldn’t allow me to post my reply with the reference, hence two slightly disjointed replies.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Read moreAccept