THE SOUND OF ONE HAND CLAPPING

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum THE SOUND OF ONE HAND CLAPPING

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 10 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

The sound of one hand clapping

Well, after reading all of David’s posts on Bobcat, I decided to start reading her book and the first thing I opened it to the sound of one hand clapping. This sound is heard when you realize all things are inter-connected, and the musician becomes the instrument. Many pagans feel druidry has no rules, and feel it is just a wild hippy love fest. But this is not true because druids are people who have tacit rules, and look at religious books of rules by keeping an open mind and feeling free to question the rules, and decide for themselves what is worth keeping and what is worth disregarding. I know how bobcat feels when she talks about how if she set down some rules in stone, there would many druids screaming at her, that druidry has no rules. But, I am not afraid of rabble of fellow druids and always evoke my bardic rights of satire to those who think they should bow down to commercial druidry. And this is something that is very, perhaps the most difficult thing for those who are new to druidry. “ Don’t worry, I can give you directions to the standing stone circle for free, and the stories you read in the books of Celtic lore are not what you have to do as a druid, but the stories are there for you to think about, and question how you would respond if you were a character in the stories. Would you have made the same decisions that the Celtic gods and heroes made, or would you have done something different? Here in the wildwood, the earth goddess loves all of the plants and animals and travelers on the path to the circle of standing stones.” And I don’t feel that bobcat has left any footprints up the path of druidry, I feel she, like all druids has walked lightly, and avoided stepping on the ferns and mushrooms, who are also living beings in the enchanted wildwood of druidry. Still, the pagan federation, has missed the mark, for druidry can’t be defined as a religion, or a way, but is only a well-trodden path that a druid walks on. Bobcat also missed the mark on thinking that Buddhism does not have gods, for I assure they do, for even the buddha, though there have been billions of them, met up with the God Maya under the bodhi tree, and this is often a problem when we have druid leaders who are forced into the role of psychopomps without being having emersed in the religious tradition of other cultures. and Buddhist cry when their friends are massacred by the Chinese army. The Buddhist, and many of the eastern traditions are completely misunderstood by the west, and the people form the west often do not have a clue what words like emptiness, really mean. Just look at John Lennon. He spent a year destroying his ego, only to find it cause him psychological problems, and this is so much why trying to mix religious traditions cause great harm. But remember, my claim is that druidry is a path through the enchanted wildwood, and not in any way a religion. I also feel that druids are aware that we live in a multi-dimensional universe, where it is not so odd to have the Irish solar goddess Grainne walking amongst us, or to hear the good folk playing their wonderful, and soul lifting music in the wildwood. And, I as a druid know the Celtic gods and goddesses as friends, and welcomed guest, not to be worshiped, but to be treated as a very most welcomed guest into my home, and to be given the best bread and weed I have to share with them, as you would also share your best weed with good friends. Still, druidry is about an adventure, and not a dip in a stagnant pond. Does a tree in the enchanted wildwood make a sound if no one is around? Of course it does, for the wildwood is full of inter-dimensional beings, and all things are interconnected. As I walk down this path, chatting with Bobcat’s book, I ask you to think about this question. Where do you think all of the things in this world came form>they must have come from somewhere, and this is a good question to think about as you take a bong hit, or chew on some valerian root. Bright Blessings fellow druidic pilgrims of the fellowship of the Circle of standing stones, Star Tree

david poole
    Participant

From what I have learned about Bobcat, and indeed Greywolf, there was a particular time when there were large public ceremonies and people were very open and active. That has now changed a great deal, partly due to people’s lives changing, partly due to the lockdown. I don’t think we will ever see a return to the times which we used to have. I think that people’s roles have changed and that we have elders who can teach, based upon their experience and that that is probably the best that we are going to get. We may be surprised by the sudden emergence of a charismatic leader or two who can rise to the front and start leading large groups again, but I don’t think we should depend upon it; we need to depend more upon ourselves. I was thinking of people such as Tim Sebastian or Dylan Ap Thuinn, for example, I don’t think we have many or indeed any people like that left. There are still survivors, many individuals and many groups who represent paths such as ours. I think that we all have to accept that there has been a lot of change and that we have to find new ways forward. Bobcat as far as I know is somewhat active in her own way, of course we have her books and other people’s books which represent a permanent teaching which is open to all.

Anonymous

Dear David, I want to be really clear here, I have great respect for Bobcat and Greywolf, and they have really both stepped forward and brought druidy to a grand place. Bobcat is not only and excellent writer, she really takes me to the world of the druids, and Greywolf is not only an explorer of Shamanism, he is a peacemaker, and blessed are the peacemakers. As I understand it, Greywolf was instrumental in bringing many of the druid groups together, and establishing druid rights to the sacred standing stone circles in the UK. Both of these chieftains are very brave, and have had the courage to speak up for the magic and consciousness raising that druidry can lead us to, They both combine great technical knowledge with art, so in some ways I see them both as artist also. It also makes be very happy to hear that Bobcat is still active. And that being easy enough to say, may you keep receiving the gift of awen over these holidays with the stillness and patience that druidry brings us to understand in each other and in nature, And Bobcat’s your Auntie! Bright Blessings Star Tree

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Read moreAccept