The Need For War

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum The Need For War

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

There must be some sort of Need for War or else Humanity would not do it so much.

And Warriors were a Sub Class of Druidry. There were Druidistic Warriors as well as Druidistic Farmers, Druidistic Scholars as well as Druidistic Chiefs as well as Warriors.

So what is the Need for Us All to have Wars all the Bloody Time?

3X3

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

There is an episode of David Attenborough’s Planet Earth Series showing how Chimpanzees often have Inter Troop Battles & Wars.

That was when I worked it out that our need to be Warlike is DNA Programmed into our Specie’s Elementary Psychologies.

3X3

Dowrgi
    Participant

I’m afraid I’m going to have to disagree strongly here.

There is never a need for war, it’s a complete failure in human terms. Anyway, just because something has always existed, doesn’t mean that it should continue to exist or that there is any mitigation on our part – thievery, murder, lying, unkindness, suffering and greed have always existed, that doesn’t mean we just shrug and say that’s how things are – sort of like what the whole message that Siddhārtha Gautama Buddha, Zoroaster, Jesus Christ and others have been trying to get through our thick skulls since time immemorial, which, leaving aside the divine or theology, shows that people long ago in the past realised that this was not a good way of being just as much as (some) people do today.

As an aside, the historical druids – at least what we know of them, formed a separate class or caste from the warrior-aristocracy and the farmers in Celtic societies, so I don’t really think there were “druidistic warriors and farmers” and whatnot, and this model would pretty much fit with what we know of Indo-European (culture) societies in the ancient world from Galway to Bengal.

Furthermore, one would hope that we had, as a species, somewhat progressed from the early Iron Age, and, certainly would not seek to justify our own behaviour because of that of our relatives in ancient times nor our more distant ones in the primate world – DNA is not a justification – we share approximately 50% of our DNA with bananas, that doesn’t really say much, though, does it?

Bennathow
    /|\

david poole
    Participant

I think that conflict is a result of misunderstanding and disagreement, not a need which needs to be fulfilled. I regard war as something of a failure. 3 x 3 makes an interesting point about chimpanzees. Conflict is something which can occur naturally with any species.

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

Awens to All:

To Illustrate how prevalent War was with Humanity, there is a YouTube Channel called ‘Baz Battles’ which Chronicles all the Medieval Age Battles there ever was.

When you watch all of those Baz Battles YouTubes, one gets to know just how Warlike Humanity used to be. The amount of War and Fighting we do nowadays is nothing as compared to the Medieval Ages.

3X3

david poole
    Participant

We could do so much good though if the money which was spent on the war industry and the arms trade were spent on any other cause instead. Why perpetuate war simply to provide vast amounts of money for greedy, unscrupulous business interests when we could be using it to improve humanity instead?

Dowrgi
    Participant

The amount of War and Fighting we do nowadays is nothing as compared to the Medieval Ages.

On the other hand, the 20th century is generally acknowledged to have been the deadliest in recorded history, upwards of 180 million victims of warfare and conflict.

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

Good Point!

3X3

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Read moreAccept