The Holy Spirit is nothing like awen

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum The Holy Spirit is nothing like awen

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Startree
    Participant

The Holy Spirit is really a sacred thing. The common experience of it is that the person is surround by a light, and feel a profound sense of love and peace. It does come upon people and the person will usually hear voices and some kind of message. It is not to be f..k with. and Christians take it very seriously, and never use it as a cuss word, like the word Jayus. The Holy Spirit is not awen, awen is a flowing inspiration that is sent by the Celtic gods and may inspire passion.Passion is necessary to get any art done, and as example, if you play fiddle, you need passion, so you can practice on days when you feel like you are just getting worse at the instrument. Fiddle players will know what I am talking about. It is also the awen that help writers complete the novel or song. Best spell caster, and nobody messes with the Holy Spirit

david poole
    Participant

I think a lot depends upon which deity or deities you happen to be working with Spellcaster. Working with different gods produces different contacts and different forms of response. I have been inside churches but have never really felt the Holy Spirit; by contrast, I have been outside in nature and often felt the presence of spirit, particularly within stone circles, woods or ritual space, hence one of the reasons why I keep doing it I find my spirit there rather than in churches. Awen is a bit like the weather, it appears and disappears and can sometimes be very unpredictable or disappear completely only to flood you without warning later on.

Startree
    Participant

Hi David, I agree with you on it depends on which gods you are working with. And I would tell you church are usually full of evil spirits, Satan and his crew can go wherever they want for the most part, and by satan I mean any evil spirit. Further, it is rare for most people to ever experience the Holy Spirit. Think of Paul on the road to Damascus. But if you talk to ministers, if they are not bullcrapping you, they will tell you that they have a number of their flock who experience what I am talking about. However, there are churches that are full of love. It just depends. If you are looking at awen as some type of energy that you experience then a grove of trees is where it is at. I have a big tulip popular around where I live and that trees sends me tons of healing energy. But, I am looking at awen as inspiration that flows from the gods. Now I guess it could flow from the consciousness of trees also. Anyway, David, this is just how I experience it. and you are right, you may experience it in a totally different way. I think you have a good explanation of it, coming and going, that seems to be true also. But we may be talking about different kinds of energy. I can go to the same tree of different days and feel nothing from it. but it may also be the state I am in. I find more success in communicating with nature when I meditate first and approach the tree in a roundabout way with intention. The calming down and entering an altered state does help, always.
    When we are in our everyday get stuff done mode, it is really hard to see the spiritual or energy behind nature, and rock just look like rocks and trees just seem to be trees. But when we calm down and meditate, or just get in the right vibe, we can see the energy and consciousness. Also, remember, this is just the way I see stuff, and you should always experience the way you do, as I know you do anyway. David, you have made so really good comments on this awen and spirit thing, and thanks. And I agree with you on most of it. Thanks for you post. Best William

Dowrgi
    Participant

This could be interesting to explore because the Hebrew and Aramaic words ruach and rûacḥ, respectively, as well as the Greek word pneuma, used in Old Testament translations all have a core meaning of breath. The word awen also has a similar etymology and so does the Old Irish word ai. In most Trinitarian denominations of Christianity, the Holy Spirit or Holy Ghost is a third part of the triune nature of God. I don’t think that’s what Welsh and Irish bards meant when they were talking about inspiration. On the other hand, the idea of a divine “force” which, like the very air we breathe, animates us and gives us our life or soul, is not uncommon to many differing belief systems.

Nonetheless, there is, I believe, no consensus among the various denominations of Christianity or, by extension the Abrahamic faiths, on what the exact definition is and if we start considering the survival of potentially pre-Christian Celtic concepts in Medieval Wales and Ireland, then it gets even more complicated.

Bennathow
    /|\

Dowrgi
    Participant

PS. It’s interesting to note that the word awen is not used in Welsh, Cornish or Breton translations of Christian scripture to describe the Holy Spirit, nor do the Gaelic translations use words like imbas or ai.

Startree
    Participant

Dowrgi, keep exploring, I like the word history. Wow, I was not talking about breath. But breath is important and is thought of as the life force by many. I mean once the breath is gone it is all over. This one lady was telling me that before her husband died, the room filled up with mist. she said it was weird, and then I watched that Stephen king movie, the Sleep Doctor, and he used mist as a representation of people’s souls. It may be that we all have a slightly different conception of what awen is. I think some people are thinking of it as energy, like Ley line energy or telluric energy that is used in casting spells, or raised in magic circles and sent with intent. And of course some places are full of energy and others are not. the awen is mysterious. I love that word, awen. and the word imbas is beautiful too. I think the Holy Ghost is a weird word and do not understand what it means. Is it a ghost? I wonder how the early monks described it to the Celts, for whatever those monks did they sure sold the concept of Christianity to the Welsh and Irish. Was the concept of reincarnation turned into life eternal in heaven, and was the Celtic heaven different that the modern heaven where everyone has two cars and a big house and the whole family it there forever. And everyone is on the football team. But I always wonder about did the druids have the concept of forgiveness? Or was forgiveness a new christian term. Whatever, the two ways of seeing the world did clash in Wales and Ireland, and the druids must have cared about the trees and the groves, and as I understand it the Christians burnt them all down. How did that sit with the Celts. Culture wars. What was it? The romans were very full of paying taxes and being all civilized where the barbarians were like motorcycle gangs. I think the barbarians had more fun. But I do agree with you that we can’t ignore the roman descriptions if we want to understand the druids. But the romans said the Druids were like lawyers, didn’t they, and I am not sure the barbarians liked lawyers or would tolerate them, I mean I hate lawyers, so I think we should take the roman descriptions of the druids with a big block of salt. Things were probably settled with blood and knives, than with roman legal battles. Best William

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Read moreAccept