The Druid Tarot & Ogham Oracle

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum The Druid Tarot & Ogham Oracle

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Josh Williams
    Participant

Greetings all,

I hope this finds you well, warm, and inspired. Here where I am in rocky mountains area of the United States we are preparing for much, much snow over the coming days. A good excuse to slow down, make lots of tea, and read lots of book!

I received both The Druid Tarot and The Druid Ogham cards this week. I just wanted to make it known for anyone who hasn’t held these cards how incredible they are. In an attempt to cultivate a deeper relationship with Ogham I have purchased many decks, stave sets, books, etc. and this one deck and book is superior to them all in my opinion. The verbal cues on the cards will make it much easier for me to create patterns and connections. As far as The Druid Oracle, it is truly unique amongst all the decks I’ve seen and there is a gravitas and power within them that I am eager to explore.

I don’t mean for this to sound like an Amazon review or anything (ha!), but wanted to share my joy at having these cards and my respect for all that’s been put into bringing them into being. Also, shipping to the USA was super fast- quicker than I had anticipated so thanks to whomever handled that.

Thinking today about the many evergreen plant allies like Pine, Fir, Cedar, Holly, and Ivy; and aligning to their wisdom…
    Josh

david poole
    Participant

Thank you Josh, your review is welcome and you raise some interesting ideas. I have some divination decks of my own which produce consistently reliable and revealing results. There are many different kinds of tarot decks, but my feeling is that underneath they are all roughly the same. This is a difficult question. I am not sure whether divination decks are tapping into some external source or are firing some inner part of our psychic selves in producing their results. Maybe both. I have some Ogham staves, which is a separate thing, and sometimes carry out my own studies of the Ogham, which I feel is very important.I am wondering if there is an underlying reason why you are thinking of evergreen trees in particular; I would recommend looking into the meaning of these trees, I feel that they have a specific message to tell you. Please feel free to share any more thoughts or impressions which you may have after using these cards.

Josh Williams
    Participant

I think oracle cards, tarot including, touch on the poetic. They wake up that primal narrative in us and we get meaning from them symbols that we can dovetail into whatever we’re experiencing in life at the present moment. Some of them like the Tarot have been around for so long now that it seems they hold a place in the collective symbolic.

I love Ogham. I try to draw a stave each day and work with it as a focus meditation or invitation to step into the space it represents more fully, but I often miss days and sometimes have to spend many days with a few before I feel like it’s time to draw another. I bought a set carved into Oak from someone on Etsy, and also have two card versions. I really think the BOD version is superior because of the inclusion of poetic references and the keywords are really helpful!

Right now where I am only the evergreen trees are green. The sky is dark grey, mountains cannot be seen even though they’re just a mile away, ground is frozen solid and all the other plants have taken shelter of their roots below the ground; tops died off and brown. On these short, cold days those evergreens are something of a security blanket for me when I miss the vibrant summers and fecundity of spring. I love winter, but some days the grey gets a little overwhelming and I miss going outside and not freezing πŸ˜€

On a side note, Pine / Ailm is one of my favorite Ogham as it relates to perspective, foresight, and vision.

Dannorix
    Participant

I agree, the Druid Tarot and Druid Ogham are very powerful. I draw one of both and meditate on them for roughly a week and make them a theme for study. Every morning I also draw a card from the Druid Animal Oracle, the Druid Plant Oracle and the Camelot Oracle, these are my guides for the day. I do occassionaly do a spread of Tarot cards, and then I use the Wildwood Tarot, which speaks to me the most.

david poole
    Participant

I am very interested in the Wildwood Tarot Dannorix, could you tell me a bit more about that deck and how it works please? I have heard some good things about it.

Dannorix
    Participant

Hi David, here’s a quick impression. It’s also 78 cards, but it’s far more shamanic, archetypal and pagan than most Tarots. It’s integrated in the Wheel of The Year, so it’s not only a journey of the psyche, but also a journey through the natural world. This connection is made even stronger through the replacement of the kings, queens etc by animals. So for instance the Queen of Stones (which replaces Pentagrams) is Bear, and the King of Stones is Wolf. In the Major Arcana archetypes are used like the Shaman, The Ancestor, The Green Man, the Archer. Death is called the Journey, and the World is the World Tree. So the cards are far deeper rooted in the consciousness of the Earth, which makes them great to use for visualizations and spirit-journeying. The illustrations are Will Worthington’s best, I think. Highly recommended!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Read moreAccept