The BDO Safe Spaces Policy

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum The BDO Safe Spaces Policy

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

Awens to All:

Shortly after joining BDO, I registered my Community Garden Allotment and the Community Garden that I Volunteer at to become a Registered BDO Grove. This is the BVS Buddhist Temple Community Garden which allows me to practice my Druidism as well as Celtic Buddhism at their Temple.

I read over the Safe Spaces Policy and for the most part it looks fairly standard as far as such Policies go.

There is one that I want to discuss and that is

We ask that all work and activities of the grove should be kept confidential to that grove and its membership and not be discussed in the wider public unless by mutual agreement of its members.

I sort of find this Confusing as if I wanted to keep the Activities of my Grove Confidential, then why would I want to make it a Registered BDO Grove?

Becoming Registered then keeping it Confidential sort of defeats any reason to become a Registered BDO Grove, whouldn’t it?

Then there is this Passage:

We ask those responsible for groves to be prepared to challenge hateful, discriminatory, or oppressive language.

I have no problem with that. That is why I have my Picture posted as my Avatar as I am Very Prepared to Challenge Hateful, Discirminatory or Oppressive Language.

But I have known a few people calling themselves Druid who are Not Prepared for such Challenges.

The BVS Buddhist Temple where I am allowed to practice my Druidism already has such Policies in the Dharma Code so all other aspects of the BDO Safe Spaces Policy is already entrenched.

3X3

Anonymous

3×3, my Noble advice, is don’t worry about policy, and let the chips fall where they may, and definitely don’t let anyone or anything quash your free thought and speech. We love you the way you are. my feeling is that druids are kind people, and don’t go around hurting other peoples’ feelings anyway, and we don’t need policy and rules to tell us how to act. at the same time druids are no push overs, and we think for ourselves, and in the most part do what we want to do. and at a time when the world is in such ecological disaster, who cares about the stuff we do anyway, there are more important things than people acting as druid police. and the last thing I want to be is a druid police and tell people how to act and what to believe, but I have no problem singing my songs. so do what you want to do and don’t worry about the red tape. best William

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

I have to worry ab out Policy as I have known several ‘Druids’ who are Sticklers for Policy to the point of being Obsessive Compulsive.

One thing I found missing from the Policy is any mention of the Sacred Redde of ‘Do As You Freely Wilt, Whilst Harming None’ which should the one and only Policy of any Celtic Neo-Paganistic Organization.

3X3

Anonymous

Dave don’t worry so much. you are not over at the obod where the druid police are always in full force. I think things are pretty laid back at the British Druid Order, and I doubt they care at all about what you are doing. also, believe me, people don’t like getting tied up in red tape, so I doubt anyone is going to question you, and if they do so what. being a druid is a state of mind, not what group you are with, and druids don’t need any credentials to prove you are an authentic druid, unless you are at the obod were the magical merit badge people live, and think that just because they have obod merit badges they are druids, I think they are lost over there. and I think it is a total geeky organization. the bdo is the best, it is the home of the real druids, and not the want to be Neo pagans at the obod. the obod is full of minions who want to enforce the obod brainwashed way of being a druid, and they go off the deep end if you question their teachings.

Dowrgi
    Participant

Hi Dave.

I’m not sure about this, and it would be far better to contact someone at the top for advice. However, I would interpret “We ask that all work and activities of the grove should be kept confidential to that grove and its membership and not be discussed in the wider public unless by mutual agreement of its members,” as being connected to (perhaps) data protection and privacy laws, which are quite strict in Europe, including the UK. I don’t think confidentiality means that you cannot publicise anything that you do, but you need consent and you need to respect people’s (legal) right to remain private. For example, if you posted a photograph of your group in which people were identifiable, you would need to have permission from those people to do so and so on.

I might be totally wrong on this one, so don’t take my word for it, but that is indeed what my understanding would be.

Bennathow
    /|\

david poole
    Participant

People differ in their opinions and in their circumstances. Some people may be very happy to be known to be connected to a Druid grove, others may face serious problems or persecution or misunderstanding. Perhaps it is better to keep matters private unless everyone agrees otherwise; this means that those who are vulnerable remain safe. The first policy statement makes perfect sense in those terms. The second statement does make sense because once you have become public and open you must be prepared to accept the consequences, even if those consequences are negative you cannot go backwards and become private again once everyone knows who you are. This is important because everyone connected to your grove will be affected, for good or for bad. Some of your grove members may not be able to handle negative exposure, so everyone must be protected.

Dowrgi
    Participant

Hi David.

That’s an excellent point too.

Bennathow
    /|\

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

W.T.St.C wrote:

you are not over at the obod where the druid police are always in full force.

I was a Member of the OBOD in the early 2000s and am still affiliated with them as I am Mates with Philip Carr-Gomme. I was actually studying their Bardic Grade Gwersi when left. I became Buddies with Philip in 2010 when I corrected spotted a Triad of Wisdom in their Gwersi that was listed as being Welsh Triad and I correctly pointed out it was actually an Irish Triad. I guess that was the Pea under the Mattress Test that I correctly sorted out getting a cordual “Right You Are!” from Philip and he has always spoken to me with Respect ever since.

I have found recently that the TDN also has their own set of ‘Druid Police’. That is why I am tending to Post here now instead of TDN. After finding your Newly Designed Website, I am giving your BDO a go.

3X3

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

Then David Poole wrote:

The second statement does make sense because once you have become public and open you must be prepared to accept the consequences,

I think that is covered by this Safe Space Policy Statement:

We ask those responsible for groves to be prepared to challenge hateful, discriminatory, or oppressive language.

3X3

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.