The Awen

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

Awens to All:

Here is something that defines the Awen:

This is the sign known as Awen, which is said to be the name by which the universe calls God inwardly. The Awen is said to represent the letters OIU, from which all the others are obtained. The O relates to the perfect circle of Gwynvyd, the I to the mortal world, Abred, and the U to the cauldron of Annwn. they relate to earth, sea and air; body, mind and spirit; and love, wisdom and truth. The word Awen also means not only this combination of letters but inspiration and soul as well.

The three foundations of Awen are:

To understand truth
    To love truth
    To maintain truth.

It is said: ‘No one without Awen from God can pronounce these three letters correctly’.

And this passage pretty much defines the meaning of Awen the best I think:

“What then have we learned about Awen? We know that it is a flowing spirit, a kind of life essence, a source of spiritual strength, prophetic insight and poetic inspiration associated with deities called Ceridwen and Taliesin in Britain, and Brighid and the Dagda in Ireland, all of whom are associated with magic cauldrons and intoxicating liquors. It is quite likely that individual tribal groups had their own deities associated with the `flowing spirit.’ Meadhbh and Dana have already been mentioned, and it seems not unreasonable to suggest that our Druid ancestors regarded all deities as sources of, or conduits for, Awen. We have seen that Awen can manifest in a variety of forms such as liquid, a hawk, a woman, or the taste of honey on the lips. We also know that it can be contacted by drinking from the cauldron of the Goddess, by singing or chanting, by controlled trance induction, by vision quest, or by sensory deprivation. Modern Druid groups also use various forms of meditation, visualisation and ritual.”

Dave TheDruid-3X3

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

Here is the Wikipedia Listing for the Awens:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awen

david poole
    Participant

Thank you Dave. I have heard different variations of this sound, including i-a-o, this is very common, and a-e-o-um. I think there is an existing concept of three sacred vowels being used to make sacred sounds. There are similarities here with the Buddhist omm sound. Where did your quotation come from, by the way?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Read moreAccept