Taliesin

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Startree
    Participant

According to the book “Highlights in Welsh Literature, Talks with a prince, R.M. Jones,:” “Taliesin’s main contribution was the creation of Urien as the pattern and type of the Welsh prince.” And Taliesin and Anerin, were at work in the sixth century. Taliesin was in the kingdom of Rheged around Carlisle. The word Welsh means Roman.” Okay So Wales became roman around 350AD. And Wales was a stronghold of Christianity during the Dark ages. We are looking at 300 to 700Ad as the Heroic period.” Now what does this mean for Taliesin. First Taliesin was not a druid bard. He was a Christian Bard. Ok, so let us get this straight. Next all these bard schools were in progress from around 1000ad to 1200ad. Bards were the entertainers of the courts and would be expected to know lots of stories. Like at least 250 stories, and it could take as much as 12 years to learn all these stories, meaning memorize them. And when you get to around 1000ad, everybody went nuts for kind Authur stories, and even to this day people are crazy for King Arthur stories. We like the idea of ladies of the court, and chivalry. So where are the druids. They are over with the barbarians for the most part, and not down in Wales or Corn Wales, Corn Wall. Remember Wales means roman. Alright my fellowship of druids, this is why I say go to the source of nature for real druidry. Look what we are saying is that nature and the natural world has a conscious energy to it and you druids can communicate with it. That really is the secret of druidry. Not so big a mystery after all. I feel that druids should be able to connect to the Celtic Otherworld, but you don’t have to to be a druid. If you can just get the idea that the natural world has a consciousness to it and can communicate you are well on your way home. There is good vibes and love all around you so don’t worry. As a druid you can also communicate with the faery world. But stay calm, you will learn magic when the time is right for you to. Magic can be dangerous and the universe will probably not allow you to learn it until you are ready.. Remember what goes around comes around, so don’t ever try to use it for evil.. On a lighter note, “Wales was quite early in developing delightful lyrics celebration nature and our emotional relationship with it.” Here is a poem ,,,,Maytime loveliest season, with birds loud, groves green, ploughs in furrow, ox in yoke, green sea, dapple lands. I don’t know who wrote it, but it was some early welsh poet. Plus these Welsh poets in 300-700ad were basing their poetry on latin poems, just like Shakespeare latter did. And remember around 400 ad the barbarians were in England and it was the dark ages. The christians were at war with he barbarians during Taliesin’s time. Now that is just the historical Taliesin. There is another Taliesin of the Celtic Otherworld who is of the faery. And I think that is the one the druids love. Best Spellcaster

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by Startree.
    Dowrgi
    Participant

Welsh does not mean Roman. It’s the Anglo-Saxon term for people unlike themselves, deriving from the wealas or “foreigners”, and in those times it also had derogatory connotations. The Germanic Franks, who spoke a language not too different from Old English, applied a similar term to the Latin-speaking/Romanised Gauls they encountered in more or less what is modern Wallonia and the term Walloon (Flemish/Dutch: Waals), for a French-speaking Belgian, is still used today. The Balkan term Vlach also has a similar etymology, passing from Old German into Slavic languages.

The nomenclature in terms of Cornwall is also complicated, because it was also Dumnonia and yet became known as the land of the Cornubian/Cornovian Welsh and yet again it was also referred to as West Wales. In Britanny, there is an area which is also called Cornwall (Kernev/Cornouaille) to this day and, historically, there was also a Domnonée amoricaine. Brittany itself was Armorica – ar mor – the land by the sea and became Brittany – Little Britain – owing to power shifts and colonisation of the sub-Roman period. There was also a relatively short-lived Brythonic enclave in northern Spain, Britonia or Bretoña, in what is now Galicia.

The Romans conquered what we know as Wales, finally, under Suetonius Paulinus in about 60 CE.

Urien Rheged was not a “Welsh King” as in what we call Wales (in English) today, he was actually a king of the Hen Ogledd, or the Old North, which was an area of Northern England and the Lowlands of Scotland. The language that Taliesin would have spoken would be more accurately described as Cumbric or a northern dialect of Brythonic, albeit much akin to Old Welsh. Remember that the Welsh word for the Welsh is Cymry and comes from *combrogi, the “compatriots” or “companions”, it doesn’t refer to a geographic entity, but rather to a national self-perception. During the early periods of Welsh literature, the word Britons was still being used. We need to take great care using terms like England, Scotland, Wales or Cornwall during that period as we run the risk of anachronisms and an inaccurate representation of the geopolitical and cultural dynamics of the areas in question.

If you’re interested in non/pre-Christian survivals in this period, you should research the rather enigmatic figure Myrddin Wyllt, who may well be the same as the figure that has come down to us as Lailoken and contributed to the later composite character of Merlin.

Bennathow
    /|\

Startree
    Participant

Still, all that said, and historical made clear, the poet Taliesin must have been influenced by the culture of druids, and druid lore. there must have been druids in Ireland and Scotland still at this time, even though the romans were over in England. The old gods could not have just disappeared overnight. A few old druids must have been hanging around the Irish kings and chieftains. And the old stories were still told around the fire at night. Plus, there was a lot of nature and forest that were still standing, and the magic folk love the forest. And real faith in the faeries only recently disappeared from the country side of Ireland and northern Scotland. Not to mention there are many druids and Neo pagans who still have contact with the Celtic Otherworld, but it seems we are losing the fight and not wining it, as more and more people stop believing and are more interested in computer games than contacting nature or listening to the old stories. WE are living in the age of space aliens and not red hats. As a bard, I try to bring interest back to the old stories, and update them so that they don’t read like children’s stories. and even then, I think most mums are not real interest in telling faery tales, and more interested in turning their children into little robots and accountants. it is the sense of wonder, and the wonder stories that calls me to druidry. Druids can’t ever be like the original druids, and we at the same time, we need to be more than hippies with drums. I also think that we should be careful not to become cults. It is just when we start taking pieces from every other religion, that druidry become cult like stupidity. We just can’t mix up every new age rage into the pot. And I AM NOT even sure if people care about the new age anymore. But what I like most about druidry is that there are a lot of spiritual people in it, and some of these people have really figured out some stuff. Still I think I hear the call of the wildwood.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Read moreAccept