Sword

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Natalie
    Participant

Hi,

I have begin the Bardic course and am slowly going through it, there is a lot to take in, and also, I feel no rush. I was reading in booklet 4 about the sword being a part of ceremony in the centre of the circle that is cast. It may go on to explain, but in the meantime, I wondered if anyone here could shed more light on the story of why it is used? I have a particular interest as I am learning tai chi sword, and the sword came to me strongly in a very particular dream. I understand also that the sword is the sacred object of the South, whilst I can see that it is linked with the fire of justice, I have also equated it through the Chinese system with clarity and cutting through delusion/illusion and air in the tarot…these qualities are associated with the East in the circle. So, it is interesting how the sword is turning up. Any thoughts on this would be most welcome.

Dowrgi
      Participant

Hi Natalie,

There are a number of reasons for the sword, some traditional and some more esoteric. The sword of peace, i.e. a sword never fully drawn, has been part of gorseth/gorsedd traditions for a long time, you’ll see a sword at the eisteddfod in Wales, too. The Sword of Light – Claidheamh Soluis – is also one of the treasures of the Tuatha Dé in Irish mythology. Furthermore, a sword symbolically defends, but also ‘cuts’. And, as you said, is also the symbol of the south, as well as being a symbol of the air in a number of traditions, including Wicca. Finally, you could also see a bard’s words as cutting to the truth, just like a sword of light, which can reveal truth from darkness in the way a poem can, too.

Hope that helps.

Bennathow
        /|\

Natalie
        Participant

Hi, that’s great, thank you for your reply I appreciate it. I read it just after you posted it, bit it’s taken me time to look up more about the sword of light.

When I had my dream, it was a night of a huge lightning and thunderstorm that rattled the windows, and I felt seriously charged even though it was night and I was in bed. In my dream, I was hovering up in thunderous clouds, and lightning was pulsing into my back, through me from a ‘god’ and down my sword in wrath at humankind below and what they are doing to hurt the Earth. I was a conduit for the wrath to come down. It was serious and humankind had little chance left to change their ways or they would be wiped out by the powers of nature.

I am trying to write a poem from inside of this experience. I’m wondering which god chose me to be a part of this message…

Natalie
          Participant

…the god may not be a god in any obvious form, it may have been nature herself, as thunder and lightning. I was reminded of Thor also.

Dowrgi
            Participant

…the god may not be a god in any obvious form, it may have been nature herself, as thunder and lightning. I was reminded of Thor also.

That’s an interesting point you’ve made. From a more animist point of view, I would say that Nature herself, and/or the thunder and lightning was the divinity, or manifestation of divinity. To give another example, Sabrina is not the goddess of the Severn, she is the Severn, and thus divine in that she is infused with spirit. This is, of course, just my way of looking at it, but it is something that I feel is very much more in attune with a Celtic way of looking at things, as opposed to the more modern conceptions of god of this and goddess of that, influenced, no doubt, by Greek and Roman ideas that have come down to us.

Bennathow
              /|\

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.