Summer Solstice Celebrations

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Summer Solstice Celebrations

Tagged: 

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

Awens to All:

What does anyone have planned for Summer Solstice? Has the Gathering at The Stonehenge been Cancelled by English Heritage?

I might pop off for another Camping Trip to my Favorite Spot since the Pandemic Issue will prevent any Gatherings.

3X3

david poole
    Participant

What I have heard Dave is that English Heritage have cancelled the solstice celebrations this year. I have heard that there will be online streaming of the solstice sunrise from around 4.54am if you are up that early. This should be on Facebook I think. But I am not completely sure, it could be on their website.

Dowrgi
    Participant

Hi Dave.

Basic plan is to get up early, go outside, face the direction of the rising sun and do some drumming – aided no doubt by a very strong cup of morning tea. Then at sunset, do more or less the same facing the setting sun. Just hope my neighbours won’t mind.:-D

The solstice is Saturday June 20th this year, you can check sunrise and sunset times locally online.

The celebrations at Stonehenge have indeed been cancelled.

Bennathow
    /|\

david poole
    Participant

That is a real shame, but it is more or less what I suspected would happen this year. I believe that celebratiosn everywhere have been cancelled so it stay at home for all of us, I’m afraid. Let us know how your drumming day goes.

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

I might go off for another spot of Camping.

3X3

Dowrgi
    Participant

Well, Dave, I hope you have a good camping trip, wherever you may decide to go.

Greywolf
    Participant

The summer solstice gathering at Stonehenge has indeed been cancelled due to Covid restrictions, though the sunrise will be live-streamed online by English Heritage. Go to: https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/stonehenge/things-to-do/solstice/
    The Gorsedd of Bards of Cor Gawr, the group we founded back in the 1990s to allow peaceful access to Stonehenge for seasonal celebrations, normally gathers there on Midsummer’s Day, June 24th. Due to Covid, their gathering has also been cancelled this year. See: https://bards.org.uk/events/
    The reason the Gorsedd gathers on Midsummer’s Day and not at the solstice is explained on my ‘Greywolf’s Lair’ blog. Briefly, all the evidence from across Europe and the British Isles and throughout recorded history tells us that Midsummer was celebrated a few days after the solstice, on the first day when the Sun’s rising position on the horizon begins to move again. For more on Midsummer traditions and how come so many Pagans now celebrate the solstice instead of Midsummer, check out my blog: https://greywolf.druidry.co.uk/2015/06/merry-midsummer/
    Many blessings,
    Greywolf /|\

Dowrgi
    Participant

Thank you Greywolf. That (link) was very interesting.

The Cornish festival of Golowan and the Mazey Day celebrations mark the midsummer period with fireworks and fire-related events and there are also the serpent dancing traditions. Sadly, a lot of these old traditions died out in the late 19th to early 20th centuries, but many are being/have now been revived again and they’re always a lot of fun.

Bennathow

/|\

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

I am definitely off Camping to my Favorite Site.

When I come back, I will have some Pictures for you all to check out and I have a Special Summer Solstice Present for the BDO that I am going to distribute on Sunday Afternoon when I get back from my Camping.

You guys will Love my Present!

3X3

Claer
    Participant

We have built our own small stone circle in a space, surrounded by trees we planted at the bottom of our garden. We will be celebrating with a fire in our fire pit in the centre. Stay up all night and see sunrise, make offerings and have a home grown feast with some mead from our bees.
    This is usual for us….not just due to covid 19 🙂

Dowrgi
    Participant

HI David.

Just to let you know, I decided not to drum in the morning. I thought it might be a little inconsiderate to my neighbours, so I sat and watched the sun rise in the NE and meditated with the sounds of the dawn chorus, just me, birds, clouds and sky. The dawn chorus was absolutely amazing and the pale red light giving away to the bright yellow sun as it rose was something to behold.

In the evening, I made a fire and did some drumming with the sunset. All in all, it was a quiet solstice but a very thought-provoking one. I couldn’t help but wonder how many people the sun had “looked down on” throughout time and if the sun could speak, what tales she would tell. I lit a candle just before dawn and it kept going all day, surprisingly, and from that candle I also lit my incense and the evening fire. I also had my smooth piece of Preseli blue stone that I placed to catch the first rays of the sun. So, a little improvised I do admit, but the best I could manage this year.

Bennathow
    /|\

david poole
    Participant

Thank you for letting me know Dowrgi. I stayed at home this year but did the best I could. It was not really the same but I suppose that there was no way to change that. I was a little underwhelmed by the online live stream from Stonehenge, we did not get to see the actual sunrise or sunset. I noticed that some people held a ceremony just outside of the stones, I wonder whether that was allowed. I might do something for Midsummer to make up for it.

Dowrgi
    Participant

Hi David. You’re welcome. I did remember that you’d asked me to let you know. My neighbours are nice and never complain, but drumming at the crack of dawn might have provoked their ire somewhat and so I thought it would be better to leave the drumming until later. 😀

I didn’t bother with the live stream to be honest, I mean, the sun was rising outside my house and the way I look at it is that you don’t need to be at Stonehenge, just get out there and look towards the horizon. Admittedly, Stonehenge and other sites do have their magic, but the real magic was watching the spectrum of colours going from pale pink, to red to yellow and gold and an amazing dawn chorus.

I’m thinking of doing something for Midsummer too, it’s a working weekday, though, so that’s also a bit limiting.

Bennathow
    /|\

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Read moreAccept