Struggling with keeping focus

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Alexander Valdes
    Participant

I am a newer member of the Bard school and am having some trouble staying interested with the booklets taking so long to release. I graduated in 2018 and still have that college kid drive, and I read and did all exercises within three weeks. Understanding that some of the bigger concepts need time to be considered, I’m still feeling frustrated that I cannot simply move on to package two when I’m ready.

I’m wondering if anyone else feels that same, or maybe someone further along that can vouch for the amount of time? I understand traditionally it may make more sense, but I’m locked in my house all day, every day. I would love to have more to read and self-teach, but find myself becoming dissuaded at realizing I still have almost an entire month before package 2 is released for me.

Dowrgi
    Participant

Hi Alexander.

I think the time to absorb the material is important and it’s not just about doing the exercises in an academic way. How about doing the exercises again after a certain period of time to see if anything’s different? You can always supplement your studies with a lot of other material too, given that we’re doing the bardic course, how about reading as much Celtic-language poetry as you can find? Another idea could be to start learning a Celtic language or researching the culture and folklore of a Celtic area. If you look on the Bookshelf thread in this forum, there are some books that members have listed and reviewed that may be helpful too. Anyway, that’s just my advice, but I hope it helps and I hope you can find some inspiration there.

Bennathow
    /|\

This site has a wealth of sources and information to look at:

http://www.maryjones.us/ctexts/

david poole
    Participant

I have not gotten around to studying a Bardic language but have often wondered if it would be useful. I would suggest reading around the subject areas which interest you and develop your background, that way you will know your path better and be more informed when certain subjects crop up, as they will. Asking more questions on the forum and answering to topics will also help you to develop deeper insight.

Greywolf
    Keymaster

Hi Alexander,
    It’s hard to pitch a delivery system that works perfectly for everyone since everyone studies at their own pace. We do, however, try to throw in links to external resources whenever we can for those who want more depth and breadth.
    I hope to start putting the revised and updated bardic course online soon. It expands greatly on what’s in the course already. By the time we’ve finished the update, the whole course looks like being about 50% longer than it is currently. We are setting up our system so that all students, past and present, will be given access to the new course booklets. Working on them has reminded me how much has happened in the last nine years.
    Until then, as Dowgri and david suggest, working with the material repeatedly and/or differently as well as supplementing with side studies remain viable options. Learning is one of the great joys in life, and its a joy that, for me, has only increased over the 14 years I’ve been working on our course booklets!
    Many blessings,
    Greywolf /|\

Alexander Valdes
    Participant

Thank you all for responding and taking time out of your day to share a little wisdom from further down the path. I sometimes catch myself reading replies and never responding, so I apologize if I made anyone feel ignored.

Since posting this I have taken some more time to consider my struggles and come to some deep personal conclusions. Needless to say, I was lost in a dark wood but have again found my way.

Thank you again for your responses, they helped immensely with preparing additional resources to aid in my journey.

Also thank you so much for responding Greywolf. I’ll admit, it caused a bit of excitement seeing that you yourself commented. I’m so happy to be a part of this community.

Kindest regards,
    Birdsong

PS: Found out my druid name. Came to me in a dream, and the very next day we found a nest on our balcony. Blessings!

jamiehume
    Participant

Hello Alexander. I began about a year and a half ago and have been challenged by life events, energy and ability to focus.
    Right now, I am loving the expansion of the course. Not all things lie in the notes. We could probably all whip through the material and be done with it. This is life cement. It’s different. Right now, I am rereading. I’ve done this before, but each time, I grab onto something different to chew on for a while. Right now it is reinvigorating and expanding my idea of journaling, Also and stress rekindling working with my dreams. Nightmares had put me off. I had been intimidated by the thought of memorizing and performing story. So, I had and still have a few things to work through. The course is very rich, but you must calm the impulse to absorb and run to a finish line. If you doing, you will miss the most important parts. I had some great advice during that time. One, if you are stuck, move on to something else and two, relax and stop worrying. Remember the worry bag at the beginning. Maybe do a new one and see what’s in there? I’ve done or redone my five inspirations several times and it keeps changing. I also shot of in all directions getting my barings in the culture. It was helpful. There are lots of things you can do, that are not waiting, but exploring. I hope this is encouraging?

jamiehume
    Participant

How is everyone doing?

david poole
    Participant

I am doing really well Jamie, apart from some minor issues. I am finding that every new lesson which I learn causes me to reevaluate what I have already learned within the course, so that I want to go back and look at the lessons again in a new perspective. The three cauldrons and their meditations was one such moment, that changed a lot for me. The current lesson is very interesting in that it has no exercises attached to it. I regard that as something of a blank slate, you are being encouraged to create your own responses rather than being told what to do.

tony1kenobi
    Participant

I have gone through all 4 of the first set of Bardic documents and am now going through them again in a more thorough manner. I use the Pomodoro technique when studying anything new. One of my sons who is a student also uses it and now rathar than discussing time spent on an activity he tells me how many pomodoros he has done – not that I am checking, he is old enough to manage things himself 🙂

The technique is very simple but in many years of wasting time looking for the ultimate time management technique this is the only one that has stuck with me. It gets its’s name from a kitchen timer in the shape of a tomato (pomodoro)! It goes like this:

– Decide what task you would like to do.
    – Set your timer to 25 minutes (25 minutes is called a pomodoro)
    – Work on the task until the timer stops (if any distracting thoughts arise, just jot them down on a piece of paper that you can look at later – I find this is the most important part of the technique)
    – Take a short break (5 minutes is recommended, but I find that making a cup of tea takes about 10:-) )
    – Every 4 Pomodoros take a long break

There are books and phone apps etc and lots of info on the internet, i use a simple pomodoro timer on my phone.
    Hope this helps a little…

Dowrgi
    Participant

Thank you for that Tony. I haven’t heard of that technique before, however, timing things by cups of tea is a speciality of mine! 😀

tony1kenobi
    Participant

Thank you for that Tony. I haven’t heard of that technique before, however, timing things by cups of tea is a speciality of mine! 😀

cup of tea timing could catch on 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.