Spring Equinox Celebrations

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Spring Equinox Celebrations

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

It is now 33 Days after Imbolc and 18 Days to Spring Equinox.

So it is Time to start thinking of things to do to Celebrate Spring Equinox.

3X3

david poole
    Participant

I have signed up for an online ritual having tried a few in the past and found them to be fairly effective; it is the intention which matters the most. I doubt that we will be allowed to travel by March 21st this is far too soon. We have some local woods and I could easily go outside and leave an offering. This is the time of Eostre so something to do with hares or eggs would be appropriate.

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

Awens to All:

One of the Spring Time Traditions is getting in some Hot Cross Buns and I did a quick Google and found a rather good History Link on the Traditions of Hot Cross Buns and Spring Equinox Celebrations.

https://gathervictoria.com/2018/03/28/hot-cross-buns-cakes-for-the-moon-goddess/

“The pagan Anglo-Saxons were also reputed to have baked small crossed cakes in honour of their goddesses of spring. Variously known as Ostare, Ostara, Ostern, Eostra, Eostre, these names are considered derivatives of the ancient word for spring: Eastre.”

3X3

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

Hot Crossed Buns

3X3

Dowrgi
    Participant

I doubt hot cross buns are a vestige of Anglo-Saxon/Germanic paganism. The hot cross bun in England is recorded in the 14th century, Alban Buns – more or less like modern ones I believe – were distributed by the monks in St Albans to the poor on Good Friday. Where this tradition came from or whether it was invented there and then is open to debate, however, the Byzantine Greeks had been making buns or cakes marked with crosses as early as the 6th century CE. I’d be interested to see a historical source to support the idea that hot cross buns were used by the pre-Christian Anglo-Saxons.

Ēostre is highly problematical in terms of defining ancient belief(s). We only have one certain reference to her, and that is thanks to the Venerable Bede writing in the 8th century CE. There’s nothing elsewhere, other than a tenuous link to a dwarf (male) in Norse writings. It’s not until the 18th century that Grimm attempted to find some vestiges of Ēostre in Germanic folklore, and he did not really come up with anything that could really confirm much. It is to Grimm that we owe the association of hares/rabbits with Ēostre, however, there is no historical evidence to back up this claim. In fact, it’s just as likely that the hare emerged as part of Medieval Christian belief – for some reason, hares were believed to reproduce asexually and thus were associated with the Virgin Mary and the birth of Christ. As odd as it may seem to us today, people had some pretty strange ideas about natural history and biology in the past. As for the eggs, it has been suggested that they originated in Christian communities in Persia/Iran and spread through the Greek/Russian Orthodox communities until reaching the Catholic and, later, Protestant communities in Western Europe (see: Kenneth Thompson, 2013). Others have theorised that the eggs may be connected to Lenten practices when giving up meat, fasting on other personal sacrifices were mandatory.

Linguistics would trace the origin of Easter>Ēostre to an Indo-European word meaning “dawn”, so what Bede may have recorded could have been: (1) the exact historical existence of an Anglo-Saxon goddess Ēostre; (2) a celebration connected somehow with dawn or a deity of dawn; (3) something else half-remembered; (4) something he made up. Of course, this raises another question, i.e. how much we can rely on Bede. I’d take anything written by ancient historians with a healthy pinch of salt, that is not to say they weren’t on to something either.

Interestingly enough, however, we have Tacitus’s account of Boudicca divining with a hare and honouring Andraste – if we can rely on Tacitus, too, and we have a Gaulish river goddess by the name of Abnoba from the Rhineland area who is depicted on a statue with a hare. The amount of folklore associations with magical hares are too many to number, but as ever, it’s difficult to separate what may have been ancient pre-Christian belief from Medieval Christian superstition and folklore.

Bennathow
    /|\

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

Awens to All:

I had a Great Day Hiking in my local Fishing Bearing Creek this morning. Recovered a couple of Scuba Tanks that had been carelessly thrown into the Creek.

Then I went and got a Pizza & Moussaka Dinner and am having a Nice Quiet Afteroon in for the rest of the Spring Equinox.

3X3

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

Awens to All:

I got up this Morning Early to get my Truck a New Muffler and while it was being Installed, I did a Google for whether Today or Tomorrow was Spring Equinox.

It is Today!

So I sent round some ‘Happy Spring Equinox’ Texts and then went off to a New Westminster Dollar Store that I know has Stick Incense. I have found that it actually difficult to find Shops that Sell Stick Incense.

After Buying several Packs of Stick Incense, I went down to Byrne Creek to do some Fish Creek Hiking around the Salmon Habitat.

When I was Hiking into the Habitat, I spotted some Dumpage in the Creek. Two Scuba Tanks!

Scuba Tanks

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

I then went on and found a Mound of Dirt and Burnt some Incense on the Spot:

Equinox Incense

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

I then did a Walkabout and discovered a Tree that had fallen over across a chunk of the Creek:

Fallen Tree

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

After doing my Ritualistic Burning and Walkabout of one of my Sacred Groves, I went and grabbed hold of the Two Dumped Scuba Tanks:

Scuba Tanks

david poole
    Participant

Fly tipping is something which I see all of the time; people simply dump their rubbish by the side of the road and drive away, it is very unsightly. There is one place which I know of nearby which is now full of waste. People are so careless. I ended up being faced with three different rituals at the same time on the same day and had to choose between them, I had double booked without realising it so wasted some of my money. The evening otherwise went really well with my chosen group.

Dowrgi
    Participant

Fly tipping is something which I see all of the time;

Or leaving bags of dog excrement lying on the ground, which is effectively worse than non picking it up in the first place – bad as that is. What can you say? I think you’re being overly generous in ascribing this to carelessness, I’d say it’s more “couldn’t care less-ness”.

I’m glad that your celebrations worked out well.

Bennathow
    /|\

david poole
    Participant

Thank you Dowrgi. I have just had my first Covid jab, they gave me Astra Zenneca but there have been no side effects so far, the next one has to be Astra Zeneca as well. I was told that I should try to stay hydrated so I am going to do just that. It is weird how ordinary Zoom has become; I can’t imagine what life will be like once we return to normal.

Dowrgi
    Participant

Thank you Dowrgi. I have just had my first Covid jab, they gave me Astra Zenneca but there have been no side effects so far, the next one has to be Astra Zeneca as well. I was told that I should try to stay hydrated so I am going to do just that. It is weird how ordinary Zoom has become; I can’t imagine what life will be like once we return to normal.

Hello again David. Glad that you’re feeling okay. As for life “offline”, very much so. It will seem strange when we get back to “normal”, although I do hope we may have learned something on the way.

Bennathow
    /|\

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Read moreAccept