Reading The Omens

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Reading The Omens

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

Awens to All:

What sort of Divinatory Art is the Reading of Omens?

What are Omens?

One Incident of Reading the Omens that I know of involves the Titanic. There is Story that when the Titanic engaged its Engines and was pulling away from the Dock that the suction of the Propellers caused the nearby SS New York to be Sucked Away from it’s Moorings. In the Documentary, a Story is related that Frank Goldsmith observed the Mishap and turned to his Wife and said, “That is a Bad Omen”.

From Wikipedia:
    ” An oionos (omen) was defined in antiquity as the carnivorous vulture, especially a prophetic bird. By careful observation of the bird’s cries and the way or direction it flew, the augurs attempted to predict the future. They also saw lightning or thunder as omens, sent from Zeus, and observed the direction in which they saw or heard them. Omens represented the divine will and the decisions of the gods, their positioning opposite human endeavors, and were aimed at being understood by sensitive receivers of the time”

Of course, events of Halley Comets have been considered Heralds of Bad Omens. Halley’s Comet came over about the time of the Mythical Birth of Jesus Crist, one came in 1066 Heralding the coming of William the Conqueror and also came around when the Spanish Conquistadors came to the Americas and overthrew the Astecs.

And there is the Feline Omen of a Black Cat crossing your Path.

Dave TheDruid-3X3

Dowrgi
    Participant

The trouble with omens is that it could depend, in many cases, on point of view. In 1066, the “omens” were indeed rather good if you were a Norman! As for the Star of Bethlehem, I’m not so sure, it’s twelve years out, which is stretching things a bit, moreover, comets were anciently seen as being unlucky or bad omens, so is it likely that this was included in the New Testament narrative? There were a number of other astronomical phenomena at that time that may also have been behind the idea of the star, including one interesting theory involving Jupiter, Venus and Regulus.

One interesting thing about the Titanic, is that the White Star Line – in accordance with its policies anyway – had no traditional naming ceremony, “christening”, nor the traditional bottle of champagne broken across the bows when the ship was launched …

Black cats are an interesting one, it seems that in many parts of the world – including most of Europe – they have been considered unlucky, yet in Britain they’re generally considered as being the opposite, and it’s very good luck if one crosses your path.

Finally, Boudicca’s reading of the omens, with a hare and imploration to Andraste, to guide her to victory, well, err … obviously didn’t work out quite how the Britons had probably hoped.

Bennathow
    /|\

david poole
    Participant

Are omens always bad it seems from the examples that you give that something bad often happens following an omen. Boudicca seems to fit within this idea too as things did not go well for the Britons in spite of Boudicca’s supplications

Dowrgi
    Participant

Are omens always bad it seems from the examples that you give that something bad often happens following an omen. Boudicca seems to fit within this idea too as things did not go well for the Britons in spite of Boudicca’s supplications

I don’t think omens have to be bad, however, the word has come to have a usually negative meaning, hence too the word ominous. Boudicca, according to Cassius Dio, used the hare to determine whether or not the gods were in favour of a British victory – according to the hare’s course, it was supposed to be auspicious. Unfortunately for the Britons, it didn’t quite work out that way despite their having believed that the gods were in favour.

Bennathow
    /|\

Angela Lawton
    Participant

I believe in omens from the spirit world. A sighting of a robin is a good omen for me where as I find the death of a much loved pet dog is a bad omen. My childhood basset hound died three months before my father and the dog, a pet of 6 years had taken to howling at 3am every night just before my dad’s death, the dog had never done this before. Somebody said to my mother at the time that a hound howling in the night is a portent of death and it was. My other loyal dog a Jack Russell became ill with cancer and died and shortly after I divorced and moved house so I see it as a sign of major change when a pet dog dies.

Angela Lawton
    Participant

I understood that the dog, the Basset Hound had died but I don’t know for sure what happened to him because my father couldn’t stand the howling at night anymore and when we got back from work one day the dog had gone with no explanation. Me and my sister were heart broken for weeks over the dog and then my dad died suddenly.

Dowrgi
    Participant

Hi Angela,

Those are interesting, albeit quite sad, stories. I know of quite a lot of bird superstitions. It was always said that if birds flew into the house, or sat on the window ledge, that this was not a good omen at all. There are a number of old stories in my family connected to these beliefs, too.

It’s interesting that you talk about 3 o’clock in the morning; I’ve often heard and read that this particular hour is when the “veil is thinnest”.

I do believe animals, especially dogs, horses and cats, have a sixth sense of some sort. I’ve seen our family’s old dogs, in the past, behaving very oddly, too.

Bennathow
    /|\

david poole
    Participant

Have you ever seen a play called Robin Redbreast? In this play a robin flies into a person’s house, this is taken as a sign by the local villagers who of course plan to use the new owner as part of their ritual sacrifice, but this is just a play and quite an old one at that. It actually preceded The Wicker Man as a story

Dowrgi
    Participant

Morning David,

I have heard of the play, it was a 19970s production, wasn’t it? Going back a bit there … I’ve also read that it was inspired a little by real life events, a murder case, that had occurred in 1945, and that some had connected to “witchcraft”.

Bennathow
    /|\

Angela Lawton
    Participant

@David Poole blimey David I haven’t heard of that play. I’ll have to be careful because I saw a robin today when out walking the dog. I hope the locals are not planning on using me as a ritual sacrifice. LOL. But I think Dowrgi is right omens can be a personal thing and you can attach significance to any anything. A lot of people say feathers and butterflies are omens and messages from the otherworld. I think you can cultivate a dialogue in your mind with the otherworld regarding omens.

david poole
    Participant

@Angela the play was made in black and white in 1970 it was part of the Play For Today series, quite unusual then that superstition and folk customs played such a large part in the story

Angela Lawton
    Participant

Thanks David I’ll have to look out for that play although I don’t know where you would start. To deviate slightly from the topic I find that my dreams are the most powerful omens and sources of information. For instance two nights ago I dreamt that a German Sheperd I used to look after, he wasn’t mine but he was a beautiful dog and I trusted him. In the dream the German Sheperd suddenly turned on me and had ripped half way through my neck but I was still alive and covered in blood. People I know and who wanted to help me were looking on but were too afraid to help me because they were afraid of the dog and what he could do, the dog then said I have got jam on my face, which is quite strange.
    I woke up feeling perturbed but took it as a warning that a course of action I was about to take would end badly so I withdrew from the situation. I think the dog represents a person who feels wronged in my past and he is presenting two faces to the world. This dream overrode my sighting of the robin and this week I have seen gold lights in my living room when awake so I see that as Angels protection. This may all seem a bit mad to some people but I trust in spirit’s guidance.

david poole
    Participant

That sounds very alarming Angela, I am not sure that I would like to remember a dream like that, I might prefer to forget it as soon as possible. Looking underneath the surface I think there is some kind of anxiety or worry going on there, some hidden message that perhaps your subconscious mind is trying to bring to your attention

Robin Redbreast can be found on Youtube which is where I got it. I believe that it is also available from the BBFC institute website, or as a DVD from Amazon. I think there might be one short documentary about this drama and not much else so don’t expect much in the way of extras. I think that there is an online documentary on this drama on Youtube but that’s it as far as I know

Dowrgi
    Participant

The interpretation of dreams is so specific, so subjective, that I think only you yourself can truly understand the meanings. Nonetheless, if I were to have that same dream, I think I would interpret it, in my case, as someone or something in which I’d had a lot of trust or faith letting me down and my taking it very badly, however, the situation actually not being as serious as it may have first seemed.

Bennathow
    /|\

david poole
    Participant

Dowrgi raises a very important point here, never let dreams or any other sign or event scare you or make you reluctant to act you can read too much into some signs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.