Newgrange closed for Winter Solstice

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Newgrange closed for Winter Solstice

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    david poole
    Participant

Like many other places I imagine, Newgrange in County Meath will be closed for the Winter Solstice. This news was announced by Anthony Murphy in a broadcast for Mythical Ireland. While it is entirely in line with the country’s current restrictions this still came to me as a bit of a shock. It will not be possible for anyone to gather inside the monument, nor will people be allowed to gather outside. As with Stonehenge, there will be a live video stream from the site during the time of the Solstice. Apparently this was extremely popular when Stonehenge was live streamed. This all kind of makes sense, but is also yet another indicator of the way in which our country has been shut down and our lives affected. I don’t know if this treatment of pagan sites is exactly the same as for non-pagan sites? Anthony also made another interesting video exploring certain discoveries about Newgrange which is worth a look. Anthony Murphy is connected with Lora O’Brien as Lora has interviewed Anthony for her YouTube channel. As opposed to Lora, Anthony takes what appears to be a very atheistic attitude towards spirituality. He explicitly discusses atheism during the interview, yet his videos must be watched by many people with spiritual principles.

tony1kenobi
    Participant

It is a shame indeed that so many freedoms have temporarily been taken away. I have been to Newgrange and it is a fantastic place to visit.

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

This Whole Pandemic might cause the Social Contract of Humanity to become Massively Verminophobic.

3X3

tony1kenobi
    Participant

Hopefully not, many germs are not an issue, like our microbiome

david poole
    Participant

The Wild Hunt has reported on this issue, confirming that Newgrange will indeed be closed this year, see https://wildhunt.org/2020/12/pagan-community-notes-buckland-museum-newgrange-and-stonehenge-to-livestream-solstice-sunrise-more-monoliths-and-other-news.html

“NEWGRANGE, County Meath, Ireland – In a statement released to the media last week, the Office of Public Works in Ireland confirmed the restrictions at the site for Solstice:

“The Office of Public Works’ annual Winter Solstice gathering at the Neolithic Passage Tomb of Newgrange on 21 December has been cancelled this year, due to ongoing COVID-19 restrictions.

“The hugely significant Solstice Sunrise event is to be live-streamed from within the Chamber.”

Each year the rising of the sun on Winter Solstice draws hundreds of people to the site, though only a few who are selected by lottery, are allowed inside the chamber to witness it being illuminated with sunlight. This will be the first year in some time that chamber has been closed for viewing on the Winter Solstice.

Details on where to watch the live stream have not yet been released.

The visitor center for Brú na Bóinne which serves both Newgrange and Knowth re-opened last week after being closed to comply with restrictions due to the pandemic. The outside of Newgrange will remain open for visitors, but the chamber within will continue to be closed to the public.

According to reporting by the Irish Times, those who were entered in the lottery to be present in the chamber for 2020 will be added to the drawing for 2021 since a lottery drawing was not done.

Another UNESCO World heritage site to live stream the Winter Solstice sunset and sunrise is Stonehenge. Most years Stonehenge attracts a large number of people to watch the sunrise and sunset, but this year officials are urging the public to stay away due to concerns over the spread of COVID-19.

One advantage to the live streaming at both sites is that many people from all over the world, rather than just a few able to attend and fit within the space requirements, will be able to watch the sunrise over these historic sites.”

Pilgrims will be allowed to gather outside our sacred sites on the festival days, with the inside of the Bru Na Boine being restricted, probably because of social distancing issues. Makes perfect sense as that space would be very confined.

Linda Lunan
    Participant

Sad about Newgrange – being Irish – I tend to go back as much as money will allow. Love Newgrange.

About the “bug” – I think just sticking to one way of dealing with it is silly – restrictions do not seem to work. I think a dedicated team should be set up to just study it and do trials on different ideas on how to deal with it.

Cheers

Linda

The Seashore Druid

david poole
    Participant

The Winter Solstice was livestreamed and they did capture some remarkable footage, including an apparent figure or angel standing just inside the entrance in a ray of light. This is really quite remarkable and one wonders whether a spirit was actually captured on camera.

Linda Lunan
    Participant

Would have loved to see it – will search ewb for it later today.

Just noticed your link – very interesting website – did not know this existed – many thanks 🙂

Cheers

Linda

The Seashore Druid

Dannorix
    Participant

Hi David, could you send a link to the footage of the spirit? And what do you think of this, look to the right of the entrance at 6:20.

david poole
    Participant

Nice video Dannorix, however I could see nothing at 6.20

Linda, your video can be found here https://heritageireland.ie/winter-solstice/

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Read moreAccept