Memory issues

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Soraya Porter
    Participant

Hi,
    I’m new to the course and whilst I don’t have issues such as Dyslexia, I do get ‘Fibro fog’ quite badly. This means that my memory is very hit and miss – I remember something one day, forget it for three days, its back again on the 4th and gone again on the 5th – for example. It also disappears under any kind of stress – even if its only stress I’m putting on myself to remember.

I’m not quite sure how I find a work around for this – it doesn’t matter what the format is – text, sung etc, its just like someone has hit the erase button. So far, the only way I get around this issue in work situations is to write lists so that I can actually physically read the list – even then that doesn’t always work.

This would seem to go against the whole idea of memorising a story though – any suggestions?

Dowrgi
    Participant

Hi Soraya,

Welcome to the course. I’m not qualified to give any advice on the cognitive difficulties connected fibromyalgia. However, you do mention that in your own case, writing lists can help – would keeping the journal, as per the Bardic Course, be similar to keeping a list? One thing I would say is that you shouldn’t feel under any kind of pressure or stress about this. One of the beautiful things about the BDO courses is that everyone can work through them at an individual pace. From what little I know about ‘fibro fog’, being stressed and under pressure can actually worsen things, so it would be better to avoid a ‘vicious circle’ so to speak. The BDO courses include a lot of work on meditation techniques, which obviously include relaxation techniques, too – perhaps they might help?

In my own case, I tend to remember things better if I can visualise them, dispensing with ‘words’, as it were. There are also a couple of other threads in this forum in which people have been discussing memory and memorisation, so those may be of some use to you as well.

Sorry if I can’t be of greater assistance.

Bennathow
    /|\

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.