Meditation Practice

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Amanda Gisby
    Participant

Morning everyone,

I am trying to improve my meditation practice, now I think I am over thinking it.
    Currently I prefer to meditate on an inspirational object from nature as my mind is so busy. My question is how do you know where imagination stops and the mediation process starts?
    For example if I am holding a feather I may start to think about where it came from and think about the bird and their role in life etc, then I start to think about what the bird is currently doing and imagine flying etc, then I feel sorry for the bird and start worrying, so I bring myself back on track and think about the feather again and how it feels and try to go inwards to the intensely small and start to over chemically analyse the atomic make up of the object. Is this the scientist in me or does everyone go through this process? I’ve re-read through the bardic course materials for section 1 on meditation a few times now and have tried to implement everything, so any extra tips would be greatly received.

Thank you so much,
    Blessings
    Amanda x

Eadha
    Participant

Morning.
    I tend to do more counting the breath at the moment, because I struggle to get my mind to be quiet at the moment. It gets very annoying. I used to meditate on an image of the Buddha years ago, and I used to kind of feel it rather than think it, that helped. But at the moment my mind is just really wild, so I’m trying to just gently keep on, and give myself compassion. I reckon it’s a case of keeping on with the practise and when it clicks, you’ll just know.

Dowrgi
    Participant

My question is how do you know where imagination stops and the mediation process starts?

Hello there, and a late good morning.

I think what you’re asking may be more of a case of the difference between meditation and (active) visualisation. You may also have answered your own question when you ask whether or not you are overthinking things. To take your feather example, you use the words “I bring myself back on track…” Why? Obviously, if you’re upset or finding it distressing, it’s important to be able to snap out, on the other hand, if your meditation on a feather is taking you unexpected places, why not go with it?

With the technique from the Bardic course, what I try to do is not think about the object, but wait until the images or sensations appear in my mind – allowing the object to be a kind of mantra in itself if you like. At the end of the day, you’re the one seeing, listening to and feeling those sensations, so why not go with them and then “think” about them afterwards?

I’ve had some experiences with different techniques of meditation of the years, and one thing that always stuck with me was the idea that when you are “talking” to “yourself” in “your” mind, who’s listening? Focus on the listener. Another thing I’ve learned over the years is that trying too hard is maybe as futile as not trying hard enough.

Anyway, that’s my take on your question and I hope it helps.

Bennathow.
    /|\

Amanda Gisby
    Participant

Thank you both so much, your support and advice will really help me. 🙂

I love the idea of focus on the listener.

Once again a massive thank you.

Blessings

Amanda x

Dowrgi
    Participant

You’re welcome. 🙂

Bennathow.
    /|\

Anonymous

Amanda,
    When you meditate on breath, all kinds of thoughts and images arise and disappear. This is normal. What you do is just watch them, note them, and then go back to focusing on your breath, returning gently over an over again to your breath. Also in breath meditation don’t close down your throat when you let the air out or bring the air in. Keep you airway relaxed and don’t shut it off at any time. This is called getting in touch with the watcher. You are learning how to watch the thoughts arise and disappear in your mind. Same with all meditation, when your mind wanders, just bring in gently back to the focus of attention. Thoughts are arising and disappearing in you mind all of the time, and that is one of the things that meditation shows you. Your mind should feel free and more relaxed after meditation, and it should be easier to get in touch with the Celtic Gods and Goddesses and the faery people, and the consciousness of the trees. You will also develop more control over your thoughts and emotions. Meditation is also a key to developing magic powers and inner peace, and we can all use a sense of inner peace in this fast paced world. Just slowing down, and taking the time to meditate can bring a sense of wonder to your life, allowing the Awen to flow. Best Star Tree

Amanda Gisby
    Participant

Many thanks Star Tree that sounds fantastic advice I shall use this for sure. I can’t thank you enough.
    Blessings

Amanda x

Darryl Jones
    Participant

Brightest Beltane blessings to you Amanda hope you are keeping well and safe in these unusual times, I have been spending more time meditating at the moment, I tend to use the breathing techniques mostly as this was how I first learnt when studying Buddhism, I also prefer to meditate outside somewhere quiet and peaceful with just the sounds of nature then at least if I am distracted it’s by something beautiful that can be used to refocus on where I am and what I am doing.
    This probably doesn’t help much but I thought that I would share it with you.
    Keep well I hope the rest of your journey is going well
    Keep in touch.
    Darryl x

david poole
    Participant

Welcome Amanda. In my meditation it can be very difficult to do unless you have a specific object or thought to work with, your mind can wander all over the place. As the course suggests you can try meditating with a specific object, this helps to provide a specific focus, the same technique can be applied to an idea or something more abstract, like a lesson which you wish to learn. This can help you to improve your inner understanding and helps with memorisation. The Loving Kindness meditation is very helpful in a specific kind of way, so is the Three Cauldrons if you have got to that. Make sure you try to eliminate any external distractions if possible. Sometimes the right mood or opportunity will simply snap into place and you will find yourself there.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.