Learning to play the harp

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Learning to play the harp

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Angela Lawton
    Participant

I have recently rented a harp and signed up for online lessons. I am thoroughly enjoying it, I love the harp and would recommend the small school it’s Handsonharps in Gloucester.

Dowrgi
    Participant

That sounds fun, Angela. I am glad you’re enjoying the experience. Harps are rather expensive instruments, so being able to rent one makes it much more accessible for a beginner. Have you ever played any other instruments?

Bennathow
    /|\

Angela Lawton
    Participant

Hi Dowrgi, I think renting a musical instrument to try it is a very good idea. With Handsonharps there is the option to buy the harp at a later date which is what I will probably do. As for playing other musical instruments, not really. I played the recorder in junior school which I used to enjoy and in my mature years I had a clarinet but struggled to get a note out of it and gave up.

Greywolf
    Keymaster

My latest eccentricity is trying to make a 12th century style Welsh bardic harp out of a block of oak from an old tree that fell a few years ago. This despite my dubious woodworking skills. In woodwork at school the only thing I remember making successfully was a garden dibber!
    Meanwhile, I have my trusty Stoney End harp that I bought from the makers in the USA and had shipped over because it worked out about £150 cheaper than buying it here in the UK. It plays beautifully and holds its tuning very well. Not being a brilliant musician, one of the things I love about harps is that it’s really hard to make them sound anything other than lovely, even when you’re striking notes more or less randomly!
    Have you heard the thing about holding a harp up to the wind and listening for its secret name in the sound of the wind through the strings?
    Many blessings,
    Greywolf /|\

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.