King of the druids

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum King of the druids

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Simon Robson
    Participant

Is the guy that named King Arthur: he changed his name: really a druid king? I always assumed that there would be many druid orders and just because a guy changed his name does not mean that he would still be king. Some people still think I was Moses, Anand and lord Ling and so an ascended master it doesn’t mean I should get royalties from the sections in the bible written by Moses. I was always sort of anti royalty so another guy throwing his hat into the ring is something this country does not need as far as I am concerned.

Dowrgi
    Participant

Evening,

To be honest, I’ve never heard of a “king of the druids”. Someone may well be a chief or chieftain of their own order or the order in which they’ve trained, but, at the risk of repeating myself, “king of the druids”, well, I’m not sure about that one. There is of course the concept of an arch druid, but again, I don’t think it’s some all encompassing title.

Anciently speaking, the Celtic kings bowed to the druids, not the druids to the kings – probably one of the reasons the Romans had it in for the druids.

Bennathow
    /|\

Dannorix
    Participant

If druids should have a king, then it’s the king of the birds, the wren, sacred to Taranis. But that is only on a spiritual level.

david poole
    Participant

Historically I understand that the Druids were a unique priestly caste and I don’t think that any of them were kings as the role was too demanding in itself without further obligations

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

Awens to All:

There is a King of the Druids. He calls himself Arthur Uther Pendragon and feels that he is the Reincarnation of the Legendary Arthur. He is an Activist for Neo-Paganism and has actually run for Parliament.

3X3

Dowrgi
    Participant

“There is a King of the Druids.”

Are there any sources that can support the claim that either he himself calls himself “king of the druids” or is recognised as such by anyone else, especially by other druid groups?

Bennathow
    /|\

Dowrgi
    Participant

double post – delete

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

I have seen him claiming to be the Reincarnation of King Arthur and I have seen Pictures of Him wearing a Crown and everything.

3X3

Dowrgi
    Participant

“I have seen him claiming to be the Reincarnation of King Arthur and I have seen Pictures of Him wearing a Crown and everything.”

I’m familiar with that, but at the same time, it doesn’t make someone “King of the druids”, either. In addition to which, Arthur was never described as a druid anywhere in the ancient writings. Just being the reincarnation of King Arthur doesn’t make someone king of the druids – a “title” which has no precedent in history either. There was, according to Caesar, an archdruid in Gaul, who was elected or, in some cases, the title may have been won in combat (something which I doubt, personally).

Bennathow
    /|\

david poole
    Participant

I think that Ronald Hutton covers Arthur Pendragon in his Witches, Druids and King Arthur. Andy Worthington in Stonehenge: Celebration and Subversion and C J Stone and Arthur Pendragon in The Trials of Arthur, this will tell you everything that there is to know about Arthur Pendragon

Dave the Druid
    Participant

Chief, is what I always associated the head of an order. King is a bit presumptuous. I have always thought of Grey Wolf as the Chief of the BDO.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Read moreAccept