Just saying hello …

• This topic has 17 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 1 month, 1 week ago by Melanie Willows.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Dowrgi
    Participant

I’ve just started the Ovate Course, so I’m saying hello … Anyone else around in this forum?

Bennathow
      /|\

Greywolf
      Keymaster

Not too many by the look of it. We’re hoping to do something about that soon. Meanwhile, good to see you, and how are you getting on with the ovate material? Quite a shift in gear from the bardic. There are things in it that blew my mind even as I was writing them! I will be gently revising little bits of it over the next year so looking forward to having my mind blown again….
        Greywolf /|\

Dowrgi
        Participant

Hi Greywolf,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, indeed, the Ovate course is very different – let’s say it has a whole different flavour to it. I’m working my way through it, slowly – and taking your advice about tea breaks and going for a bit of fresh air between instalments! :-D I really like the interface between modern, scientific theories and the ancient materials.

Bennathow
          /|\

Greywolf
          Keymaster

Thank you, Dowgri,
            I’ve been admiring and enjoying your forum posts. You’re definitely our kind of person :-)
            Myself, Philip Carr-Gomm, and other Druid writers were gently nudged towards more academic rigour by Ronald Hutton from the 1990s. I remain good friends with Ronald and have since met other Pagan academics who’ve provided encouragement, source material and suggestions for avenues of research. This is great because ever since I was a small child I’ve been fascinated with finding out as much as possible about the things that interest me. Mind you, the direction the courses have taken led one wag to refer to them as the Encyclopaedia Shallcrassia!
            All good blessings,
            Greywolf /|\

Dowrgi
            Participant

Hello Greywolf,

Thank you for your kind words. I haven’t been posting much lately because, what with one thing or the other, I’ve been a bit snowed under with the more mundane aspects life, i.e. working for a living! :-D

I agree with yours, Philip Carr-Gomm’s and others’ direction, and I fully understand Professor Hutton’s point of view. The way I look at it as that the Druids, Bards and Ovates of old, if we are to believe what was written about them, were seekers and keepers of truth, so going out birdwatching and trying to learn to recognise the songs of different birds, reading a book on botany or studying astronomy and “modern” sciences are fully in tune with what druidry is about as much so as is working the ancient myths and legends. Since I was a small child I’ve been trying to work out how dinosaurs all fit into everything! :-D My own point of view is that everything, and by that I mean every little thing, is all part and parcel of one great whole and if only the human race could recognise that, the world would most likely be a better place and we’d all be a lot happier – dispensing with the superficial, illusory and materialistic and focusing on the core essence of that which is “real”. I think I need a cup of tea now …

Bennathow,
              /|\

Amanda Gisby
              Participant

Hey there. I’m working through the Ovate course too :)

Amanda

Dowrgi
                Participant

Hi Amanda!

How’s the course going? I hope well – very different from the Bardic Course, isn’t it?

Bennathow
                  /|\

True Owl
                  Participant

Hi everybody,

It appears quite quiet in here – maybe as I progress through the course, I can fill it up a bit.

I’ve just downloaded all the materials for the first block of the Ovate Course.
                    I have not had chance to look at any of it yet – just thought I would introduce myself & say ‘Hello’.

Hope all those doing the course are progressing well.

I’m very much looking forward to it.

Many blessings on your path,

Jules (True Owl).

Dowrgi
                    Participant

Hi True Owl,

It is a bit quite around here at times. :-D

How are you finding the Ovate materials?

Bennathow
                      /|\

True Owl
                      Participant

Hi Dowrgi,

Thanks for your message and consideration.

I’ve just finished Ovate Booklet 1, as it was quite technical & scientific in parts (ie. with the Dark matter, energy & flow sections), so I’ve had to read it over slowly, to get a grip on the subject matter.
                        But, I do love this cosmology stuff and find it very interesting.

Pythagoras was certainly a character with the use of his mathematical music – All I knew about him was his theorem from Maths lessons at school. LOL. So, I gained a lot more about him as a person & practitioner.

I liked the various sections on creation as well, as there is very little around on this subject in the Celtic mythologies.

The ceremony rituals that are written out (ie. for Midwinter) would be quite useful for Grove groups, with different people getting involved. As I tend to be a solitary druid, I do my own rituals more off the cuff, that offers a connection & a friendship of respect to the gods/goddesses & ancestors through the act of making offerings to them, followed by prayer & petition (ie healing & protection), listening to music, (or performing music using my guitar to them myself), or sometimes reading a poem, followed by a time of meditation, and finally giving thanks. I tend to not make rituals complex or highly structured, and keep them simple and from the heart. I particularly want to show my love for the ancestors and to be thankful to them for all they have done for me.
                        I think the written ceremony formats are still useful though, and can give me ideas for my own rituals.

I think I will enjoy this course very much, as it opens up more possibilities to me.

I trust that you are making good progress yourself on the Druid Grade course.

Thanks,

Jules.
                        (True Owl).

Amanda Gisby
                        Participant

Hello all,

I hope everyone is well I’ve been spending a lot of time at the end of the Ovate course before I progress onto the Druid grade just unpacking a lot of questions and thought processes.
                          I have been really taken by the idea of play and how it opens channels into your subconscious. In addition I have been progressing my knowledge of natural remedies in the garden as well as really finding my feet with Ogham.
                          I have been looking for local groves in South Wales but I think I may well have to look into the process of setting one up, unless anyone knows of a nearby location. :)
                          How is everyone else getting on?

Many blessings

Amanda
                          (Airgead) x /|\ x

True Owl
                          Participant

Hi Amanda,

Good to hear from you.

I have only read the first booklet of the Ovate course so far, and have been digesting that before moving on – there was certainly a lot of information contained in it.

I have just got back from a holiday with my wife near Bude in Cornwall, and so used this time to reflect on the things I’ve learnt so far. We got around many places in both Devon & Cornwall, and it was a time of re-charging the batteries for me. It was our first holiday for four years, as we looked after my mother (who had mobility issues), until she died recently of a stroke at 89 years of age. She was a lovely Mum to me though, always supportive & positive, and so I cherished the time we had left with her.

Your message saying : “I have been progressing my knowledge of natural remedies in the garden”, reminded me that my Mother was very spiritual, and knew a vast amount about plants and herbs for healing, and in her younger days, used to go around to folk who were sick and help them to recovery. According to local neighbours, she apparently was so good, that people preferred to go to her, rather than see the local doctor – we are going back to the 1940’s/ 50’s though.

– So, keep up with your knowledge of natural remedies, you never know when it may come in useful !

We live in Somerset, so I’m afraid I cannot help you in finding a local grove in the South of Wales. I do love visiting Wales and its beautiful scenery.
                            Maybe as you say, create your own grove group – ‘from small acorns, grow mighty oaks !’

Many blessings on your path,

Jules.
                            (True Owl).

Dowrgi
                            Participant

Hi Amanda,

Glad you’re doing well and enjoying the Ovate materials. As I’ve said before, it’s a very different kettle of fish from the Bardic materials in many senses. I love the natural remedies, I’ve always been interested in botany anyway, and I do know some old things too. I think it was my grandmother who first introduced to be to herbalism when she told me to rub a dock leaf on a nettle sting – I must have been about five at the time! Nevertheless, I’ve been interested in it ever since. In our house, camomile, witch hazel, and plenty of herbs and spices always abounded anyway. I think that this is one of the most interesting ways modern druidry can link to the ancient. I’ve read that traces of mugwort/artemisia have been found in archaeological remains that may be linked to ancient druids, so I’ve been investigating that recently, too.

Anyway, once again, glad it’s going well for you.

Bennathow
                              /|\

Dowrgi
                              Participant

@True Owl

Hi there, nice to hear from you, too. It’s been very quiet on the forums of late. I’m glad you had a nice holiday with your wife in Cornwall. Did you visit Tintagel, or perhaps Boscastle, when you were up on the North coast? I’m sorry to read about your mother, but it’s good that you have cherished memories – they really are precious things. Anyway, nice to hear from you again.

Bennathow
                                /|\

True Owl
                                Participant

Hi Dowrgi,

Thank you for your message of sympathy for my Mum.

Re: “Did you visit Tintagel, or perhaps Boscastle, when you were up on the North coast?” _Dowrgi.

We had visited both Tintagel & Boscastle on a previous holiday (staying further south in Cornwall at the time) some years ago, so we didn’t go to those places this time.

Although we were staying near Bude in Cornwall, we were more northerly this time, and so we tended to go to places in Devon. We went to Clovelly, where no cars are allowed in that village. You walk down a very steep cobbled stone street for half a mile, where at the bottom we had a local folk band performing whilst we had a picnic. Then after a while, it was the half mile walk back up the cobbled stone streets, with stops along the way with museums, pubs, and local trade & gift shops along the way.

We also went to a lovely Garden Centre (Merry Harriers Garden Centre) near Bideford, which also had a miniature village close by of 100’s of gnomes that you walked through on a trail, (called The Gnome Reserve).

We celebrated our 41st Wedding Anniversary with an evening dinner at a restaurant called the Farmers Arms at Woolsery (highly recommend it), of which has a Michelin chef – the food (from their own farm only) was absolutely delicious. I have never had such luscious & tender lamb in my life – it was cooked to perfection & beautiful !

Spent a shopping day in Bude – there are so many roads & shops there in the town centre, we could not get around them all.
                                  We also visited the famous glass making company Dartington Glass, and watched the team traditionally working to make the various glass shapes of bottles, vases & glasses for selling – really interesting. We bought some glass items from their shop there, which make for wonderful ornaments.

We enjoyed seeing all the little quaint gift shops in the local area, selling craft made jewellery, gnomes & pixies, and books of stories about local legends. From one of the little shops, I purchased a Celtic style copper wrist bangle, (popular in folklore for thousands of years for helping with arthritis) – the bangle looks good, and is different to the others I already have.

It was a very nice break indeed, which we thoroughly enjoyed.

Thanks.

Blessings,

Jules.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.