Just saying hello …

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dowrgi
    Participant

I’ve just started the Ovate Course, so I’m saying hello … Anyone else around in this forum?

Bennathow
    /|\

Greywolf
    Keymaster

Not too many by the look of it. We’re hoping to do something about that soon. Meanwhile, good to see you, and how are you getting on with the ovate material? Quite a shift in gear from the bardic. There are things in it that blew my mind even as I was writing them! I will be gently revising little bits of it over the next year so looking forward to having my mind blown again….
    Greywolf /|\

Dowrgi
    Participant

Hi Greywolf,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, indeed, the Ovate course is very different – let’s say it has a whole different flavour to it. I’m working my way through it, slowly – and taking your advice about tea breaks and going for a bit of fresh air between instalments! πŸ˜€ I really like the interface between modern, scientific theories and the ancient materials.

Bennathow
    /|\

Greywolf
    Keymaster

Thank you, Dowgri,
    I’ve been admiring and enjoying your forum posts. You’re definitely our kind of person πŸ™‚
    Myself, Philip Carr-Gomm, and other Druid writers were gently nudged towards more academic rigour by Ronald Hutton from the 1990s. I remain good friends with Ronald and have since met other Pagan academics who’ve provided encouragement, source material and suggestions for avenues of research. This is great because ever since I was a small child I’ve been fascinated with finding out as much as possible about the things that interest me. Mind you, the direction the courses have taken led one wag to refer to them as the Encyclopaedia Shallcrassia!
    All good blessings,
    Greywolf /|\

Dowrgi
    Participant

Hello Greywolf,

Thank you for your kind words. I haven’t been posting much lately because, what with one thing or the other, I’ve been a bit snowed under with the more mundane aspects life, i.e. working for a living! πŸ˜€

I agree with yours, Philip Carr-Gomm’s and others’ direction, and I fully understand Professor Hutton’s point of view. The way I look at it as that the Druids, Bards and Ovates of old, if we are to believe what was written about them, were seekers and keepers of truth, so going out birdwatching and trying to learn to recognise the songs of different birds, reading a book on botany or studying astronomy and “modern” sciences are fully in tune with what druidry is about as much so as is working the ancient myths and legends. Since I was a small child I’ve been trying to work out how dinosaurs all fit into everything! πŸ˜€ My own point of view is that everything, and by that I mean every little thing, is all part and parcel of one great whole and if only the human race could recognise that, the world would most likely be a better place and we’d all be a lot happier – dispensing with the superficial, illusory and materialistic and focusing on the core essence of that which is “real”. I think I need a cup of tea now …

Bennathow,
    /|\

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Read moreAccept