Issues with remembering…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Rebecca Hall
    Participant

Hi, I have some brain wiring issues that mess up my memory for complex stories and so on. Especially translating from text to spoken word (dyslexia and adhd).

Where can I find audio tellings of stories and also songs. I sing and its quite a spiritual experience of Awen. However my main repertoire is Christian material and I’m seeking traditional folk, and pagan related material to learn and worship. Happy if it’s not actually English, so long as there is a translation! But singing is where I remember the most.

I am nearing the end of the Introducing Druidry booklet and am feeling woefully daunted and anxious because of my memory issues with retaining written words, and getting past that. I can recoubd films in high detail when I enjoy them, so I know audio and visual inputs are certainly effective for my learning type.

Thanks!

Dowrgi
    Participant

Why not use your talent for singing to turn the stories into songs? I don’t think you have to memorise stories word for word in an academic way. Most of the traditional materials are in Irish or Welsh, which could be difficult for non first-language speakers to memorise anyway, to sing could be harder. Nevertheless, there are lots of folk singers out there who have produced material that uses traditional themes. For example, Lisa Gerrard’s Invocation of Amergin is fantastic and although the song is sung in its original Irish, translations are easily found. There’s also Sianed Jones’s Taliesin and a Welsh band called Ffynon whom you may like to research. Finally, you could also try visualising the stories, as if you were there watching – like a film.

Bennathow
    /|\

Greywolf
    Keymaster

Hi Rebecca,
    Dowgri’s right: don’t worry. Our courses are designed to be used differently by each student. The reason we put so much into them is because we know that everyone is different, which means that some of what’s in the courses will be right for you but not everything will. Go with where your own awen takes you. Follow those threads first and don’t warry about the rest. You have the courses forever and can always come back to parts later when they might have gained new relevance for you.
    That said, I also find it easier to remember songs than just about anything else. Likewise, I understand your preference for hearing tales spoken. There’s nothing that quite compares with ‘live’ storytelling. We have plans to record the whole courses eventually, including the stories and poems. Till then, there are versions of some of the stories around. If you go to YouTube and type ‘mabinogion audiobook’ into their search engine you’ll find several versions and some very good introductions to the stories too. Most of the audiobook versions are, however, taken from the Lady Charlotte Guest version because it’s out of copyright. It is, however, not amazingly accurate and a bit clunky.
    For a dramatic retelling of the story with actors and music by the great Robin Williamson, type in ‘The Mabinogi (1984).’
    For a reading of the Sioned Davies translation that we use in the course, go to https://youtu.be/W5V3aAy2ZIg
    For spiritual songs, Robin Williamson and the Incredible String Band have been favourites of mine since the 1960s and still are. They’re not to everyone’s taste, but then what is?
    Also do an online search for videos featuring the band, Telling the Bees. Wonderful stuff.
    And as Dowgri says, you can always turn the stories into songs and remember them that way. That would be an amazing bardic exercise!
    Hope some of that helps.
    Many blessings,
    Greywolf /|\

Adam
    Keymaster

I’m late to this party, so I hope that you pick this up, Rebecca. One of the best storytellers I know, with a repertoire of many 1000s of traditional stories, is also possibly the most dyslexic person I know. She is the inheritor of a Jewish tradition, a Drut’syla, passed down orally from grandmother to granddaughter. The drut’syla repertoire comprises twelve interlinked cycles, each of several hundred tales.

To give you an idea, she prefers phone to text and facebook message, because she struggles to read and respond, although she can joke about the hilarity of her responses. If I write to her, I make sure to include her husband.

Home

In order to get audio versions of text stories, I often use text to speech converters. They are not always the best intonation but they can make life easier.

LibreVox also publish copyright free audio books similar to Project Gutenberg… you can find a fair few collections of folk tales there

https://librivox.org/search?primary_key=0&search_category=author&search_page=1&search_form=get_results

Sarah-Jayne
    Participant

Hello! Thank you for this thread. I am new to the course and also have similar issues as well as difficulties actually sitting and holding written material

I’m very grateful for this enquiry and for the responses 🙏🏻

Ann Ingham
    Participant

And please do not let us forget Damh the Bards 1st 2nd and 3rd Mabinogi recordings!!!

Ann Ingham
    Participant

I have these issues too and need spoken and sung versions

I have been using a text reader, speechify. Problem is: The pronunciation is terrible!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.