Introduction

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    True Owl
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie here, and have just started the Bardic Course.
    So I thought I would introduce myself – I am Jules (True Owl), and I live with my wife in Somerset.
    I have been on the Druid path for many years.
    I have completed the three grades of Bard, Ovate & Druid with the New Order of Druids (NOD) about ten years ago.
    I have also mentored all three courses for other students, and am a member of the NOD Council.
    I wish for a new challenge & a refresh of the courses. The NOD courses tend to be more on the Irish angle of myths, so it would be nice to study from the Welsh sources (I have Welsh ancestry as well as Irish, so its good to have a take on this side as well).

Hope you all are taking care out there.

Blessings

Jules (True Owl).

True Owl
    Participant

Hi everyone,

A bit more about myself – I am 62 years young, married to a wonderful wife, and have two grown up children, which have flown the nest. One of which (our eldest daughter) has made us very proud Grandparents, to a lovely little chap, who just turned one a couple of months ago.

I like playing the guitar and listening to a variety of music. I also enjoy reading and learning all things new, which help me on my path.  
    I love all things nature – the land, the trees, the rivers & streams, the sky, animals & birds (Owls being my favourite).

In reference to the BDO Bardic course, it is interesting that it asks you to create a ‘Worry bag’ with three items on it – very apt, so here are mine :

1. Strange ! But I do feel apprehensive about starting a course with a different Druid Order.

2. I have a high expectation of myself, as I have previously completed the Bard, Ovate & Druid grades with the New Order of Druids (No pressure then. LOL !).

3. I know a lot more about Irish myths, and actually not very much about the Welsh sources – but I guess, that’s why I’m here !

Thanks,

Blessings,
    Jules (True Owl).

Dowrgi
    Participant

Hello there and welcome.

I hope you find your time here rewarding.

Bennathow
    /|\

Mark Scales
    Participant

Hi Jules

Really good to welcome you. Likewise, I have started my Bardic Journey and I am on the laptop this evening downloading Package 3 and I am excited about what learning awaits me next. The course so far has been truly rewarding for me and has inspired my passion again for writing poetry and stories. It has also certainly inspired my art projects, which my wife and 10-year-old daughter all dearly enjoy anyway. Hopefully, soon all of us on our bardic journey will meet in person. Until then I hope you find it as enlightening as I have thus far. Having studied the occult in isolation for some time I think I have finally found my path with the BDO. All the very best to you, Mark.

True Owl
    Participant

Hi Bennathow & Mark,

Thank you for your welcomes – its great to hear from you.

Mark, its good to hear that you are progressing well in your course & learning new skills along the way.

Yesterday, I ordered the book ‘The Mabinogion’, translated by Sioned Davies.
    I have read many moons ago the Charlotte Guest version, so it would be good to read this updated version, which I have heard is very good. I’m looking forward to receiving the book.

This other book also takes me back – I was reading the recommended book list, & the title ‘Celtic Heritage: Ancient Tradition in Ireland and Wales’ by Alwyn & Brinley Rees is a brilliant book, that I read in my teenage years (when I was about 18) – I remember I found it all absolutely fascinating – This book helped me & spurred me onto the Celtic path.

I’ve been filling out my Journal as suggested for the course – luckily I have been keeping journals in the past, so its not new. But, it is certainly good to look back on them & see how one has progressed over a period of time.

I’ve uploaded my ‘True Owl’ avatar (as you can see) – I love owls, and that is me, with glasses, reading in the moonlight.

I’ve now started reading the Story of Taliesin in the Bardic course work – I had read this book many years ago (when I was in my early twenties), so its good to read it afresh. It is amazing that after all these years since I read it, it seems to be coming back to me & in a new light.

Many blessings on your path,

Thanks,

Jules.

Dowrgi
    Participant

Hello again True Owl,

Nice to see someone else from the West Country here. 😀

I think you’ve made the right choice with The Mabinogi, I too have Sioned Davies’s version and I’d highly recommend it. Another book I’d highly recommend as a source book or reference resource is Trioedd Ynys Prydein – The Welsh Triads by Rachel Bromwich along with The Celtic Heroic Age by John T. Koch and John Carey. I’m just about read (again) The Táin Bó Cúailnge, Ciaran Carson translation, I love this version and I never tire of rereading it!

By the way, “bennathow” is Cornish/Kereowek for “blessings” 😉

Blessings (Bennathow)
    /|\

True Owl
    Participant

Hi Dowrgi,

Oh ! I do apologize – I didn’t realise – I took it that Bennathow was another name that you use (when you sign off). I’m not too well up on the Cornish/Kereowek language. So, that is great, you have taught me my first word in that dialect.

Thank you very much for your book recommendations – ‘The Welsh Triads’ by Rachel Bromwich sounds very interesting and well worth having. Please tell me, is that the same book as ‘Trioedd Ynys Prydein: The Triads of the Island of Britain’ by Rachel Bromwich ? (a slightly different title).

I have received & started reading Sioned Davies’s version of the Mabinogi, and with the Bardic booklets, I am certainly gaining much new knowledge & insight – I’m enjoying it all very much.

Thanks again.

Bennathow,

Jules.
    (True Owl).

Dowrgi
    Participant

Hello again …

The modern revision/edition is Trioedd Ynys Prydein: The Triads of the Island of Britain, I think I had a short circuit, Trioedd Ynys Prydein – The Welsh Triads was the title of the first/early editions by Rachel Bromwich. Anyway, I’d usually recommend getting the latest edition, however, if you know the “old title”, look out for it in a second-hand bookshop or in an library’s old book sale. 😉

Bennathow
    /|\

True Owl
    Participant

Hi Dowrgi,

Thanks for the confirmation.

I’ve been reading the reviews for the newer edition, (‘Trioedd Ynys Prydein: The Triads of the Island of Britain’ by Rachel Bromwich), and it looks to be very good. Although not cheap, it is said to be required reading, and an indispensable work for anyone interested in Welsh myths & medieval literature.

So, I’ve ordered it to add to my library.

Thanks again for your advice.

Jules.

Dowrgi
    Participant

You’re welcome. I wouldn’t call it light reading, I’d use it more for reference, but it is a goldmine of information and reliable references. Unfortunately, when walking the path of Celtic mythology and mysticism, you have to sift through a lot of dross to find the gold.

Bennathow
    /|\

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Read moreAccept