Imbolc Celebrations

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Imbolc Celebrations

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

Awens to All:

The Celtic Sabbath of Imbolc is coming up. It is Celebrated on February 1st. It is the Celtic Sabbath Celebrated for being the Time of Year between Winter Solstice and Spring Equinox and is exactly 3 Months from Halloween/Samhain.

I am probably doing to do a little Ceremonial Fire at my Community Garden Allotment.

It is also the time of year that the Tradition of having Hot Crossed Buns.

What sort of things do you guys usually do?

Dave TheDruid-3X3

david poole
    Participant

Something involving Bride dolls and Brigid’s crosses, that is the kind of thing which I have done in the past although this year I don’t know, I doubt that that will be possible or that anyone will be allowed to meet except online. Something with candles might be nice and it would be very easy to make happen.

Linda Lunan
    Participant

I will be going down to the seashore and if weather permitting watching the Sun rise, do a wee ritual, take photographs and if the Kiosk is open by then have an icecream. 🙂

Cheers

Linda
    The Seashore Druid
    http://www.theseashoredruid.com

david poole
    Participant

That sounds like a lovely idea Linda. A true meeting place of the three realms.

Balaam Camp
    Participant

Awen to you,

I’m going to a local sarsen stone that’s been visited since ancient times, will leave an offering and light some candles. Hopefully see the sun rise with the stone.
    The sarsen was moved a few hundred yards just over a hundred years ago. Will take some grasses and earth from the original site along with my offering, I thought that would be a nice gesture. If the grass is long enough at the previous site I may build something out of it.
    Very pleased to have survived this winter so it will be an occasion of gratitude.

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

Hey Balaam! Where is your Local Sarsen Stone? Is it near the Quarry where they got the other Sarsens that made up The Stonehenge?

3X3

Linda Lunan
    Participant

Yes Dave TheDruid-3X3.

The Elements: (Water) – the Sea, (Air) – the wind, (Fire) – the Sun, (Earth) – the sand 🙂

Cheers

Linda

The Seashore Druid
    http://www.theseashoredruid.com

Balaam Camp
    Participant

I’m in Sussex and my local sarsen is made of sandstone and flint so not the same as the stones from Stonehenge. A lot of the sarsens here were built into church walls to help the pagan to Christian conversion but this one survived that fate.
    It has a fairly interesting history but is largely ignored these days. It’s called the Goldstone.

david poole
    Participant

I have read somewhere that some of the stones which were used to make Stonehenge actually came from a place known as West Woods just outside of Marlborough. I am aware that there is a very large long barrow within these woods but I do not know the date of it, probably Neolithic they often made such constructions. This would tie in with the same time period as Stonehenge.

Balaam Camp
    Participant

So, I went to my local sarsen and lit some candles. Baked some bread and brought some remaining apple juice I had made from the tree I’m tending to. I also grabbed some grass, berries and small bush flowers from the previous site the stone was at before it was moved just over 100yrs ago. Went at about midnight as I would have missed sunrise. Although I’ve been around old traditions since childhood this is the first time I’d given an offering and libation solo to this stone.
    Definitely felt an internal sense of euphoria almost to the point of being overwhelmed, very very unusual for me as I’m normally just chill. On the walk back I heard birdsong as if it were a bright mid-morning, unheard of for 1am. Feeling very blessed and thankful.
    Hope everyone else enjoyed their imbolc celebrations, blessing to you all.

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

Awens to All:

Time to start thinking of what to do to Celebrate Imbolc.

I just realized something.

Imbolc is supposed to be the Celebration of the Time of Year that falls between Winter Solstice and Spring Equinox.

So I got out a Calculator and divided 365 by 8 and got 45. So if you count the days from Winter Solstice 45 Days, they the date that falls between Winter Solstice and Spring Equinox is Feb 5th.

Therefore, shouldn’t Imbolc be Celebrated on Feb 5th instead of Feb 1st?

3X3

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

The one Significance of this Imbolc is that it was around last year’s Imbolc that I became associated with the BDO.

This is the 1st Anniversary of my being part of this British Druid Order.

3X3

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

Time has Flown while being a Member of BDO.

It is actually coming up to my 2nd Year being part of BDO and that was in around Beltane or so.

3X3

david poole
    Participant

Congratulations on your anniversary 3 x 3. Regarding 5th February is this the difference between the astrological date and the astronomical date, I know that this has a way of creating two sets of celebrations for every festival

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

Actually, based my Calculations, Beltane should be May 4th or 5th, Lughnasadh should be August 4th or 5th and Samhain be November 4th or 5th.

And November 5th is already Celebrated as ‘Bonfire Night’.

3X3

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Read moreAccept