I stand corrected

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum I stand corrected

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Angela Lawton
    Participant

I have a Catholic news agency delivered to my email and in the last two days they have sent articles on Marian shrines and apparitions and the liquefying of the dried blood of a Saint at certain times. So I suppose they have claim to the spirit world through the Saints and Marian apparitions. I tried to look up the existence of demons and came across Kabbalah where they have texts regarding the existence of demons and angels but they seem to be the common representation of a demon with horns and forked tail. The ones I saw had screwed up pig faces, no horns and were small and black with long tails. I have looked into Kabbalah and have a few books on it but it is a lot of study, one book I have goes into magical talismans and amulets etc it’s quite interesting.

Dowrgi
    Participant

Hi there Angela,

It puzzles me why a believing Christian would doubt the existence of the spirit world, ghosts and so on, when this is explicitly mentioned throughout the Bible – Matthew, Mark and Luke are full of unequivocal references to Christ’s casting out of demons – notably Matthew 8:28-34 and Mark 5:1-20. The Old Testament also describes how Saul and the witch of Endor summon up the prophet Samuel. In addition to which, the numerous warnings and prohibitions against certain activities throughout the books of the Bible indicate that the people who wrote these texts, or were inspired to write these texts, obviously believed such spiritual or ghostly phenomena were real.

Bennathow
    /|\

Angela Lawton
    Participant

Hi Dowgri thanks for your reply personally I believe in it and am familiar with The New Testament. Most Catholics are indoctrinated from childhood via faith schools and it has only been recently that personal Bible study has been encouraged. Even during my mother’s lifetime the Mass was said in latin and the faithful responded by rote.

Angela Lawton
    Participant

Don’t worry Dowrgri I am not about to tell you that Jesus loves you and repent. Overworked religious sayings have the opposite effect in my opinion. I had a priest come round my house to bless it when I first moved in and he left some holy water behind so I baptised all of my daughters, they were all at an age to consent to baptism in the name of the father, the son and the holy spirit. But now none of them profess any belief in spirit let alone Christ so I don’t force it on anyone. People believe in what they believe or they don’t believe in anything at all but the present day life.

Angela Lawton
    Participant

The laity of the Catholic faith can perform a baptism in emergencies and is valid.

Angela Lawton
    Participant

I’m overdoing the posting so I’ll leave you in peace. Thank you.

Dowrgi
    Participant

Hello again Angela,

That’s all right, there’s no harm in having a discussion about things and trying to be objective in terms of the topic. If someone does not believe in any of this, well, I suppose it’s a waste of time in effect actually trying to discuss it. For the argument’s sake, acknowledging that there is indeed something beyond our ken, then I’d say that a lot of what I see online and on television is not good. People wandering around supposedly haunted sites with recorders and electronic devices “provoking” the spirits, so to speak, or, worse still, attempting some form of séance or spirit contact, yet not actually following any of the established protocols for doing it, which those who do believe in this also believe to be just a tad risky.

From a druidic point of view, I’d say leave the spirits alone and they’ll leave you alone. When you go to a place, you can usually pick up on the atmosphere anyway, make peace with the spirits of the place and if you feel unwelcome, move on. In any case, what right do we the living have to disturb those beyond the veil merely to satiate are own hunger for knowledge, perhaps a little rooted in our own existential doubts and fears?

Bennathow
    /|\

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Read moreAccept