I have been a string on a harp

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I think that the key to understanding the Taliesin poems that say things like I have been a string on a harp, or I have been a salmon in the river dee, is to understand that the I that the poet talks about is not himself. The I represents the god and goddess energy that is in nature, the conscious energy of life, it flows and moves, and may be the source of awen. Many poets use this form, and the poet Walt Whitman also used this poetic device. This is hard to describe, but I do not think it means that Taliesin was himself shapeshifting. I think he is talking about that he is aware of the god and goddess energy in nature, behind nature, throughout nature. Taliesin is the enlightened poet, who is aware of the magical and wondrous energy in nature. I feel that many druids are chasing magic power, I mean. who would not want to be able to fly on a magic broom. What a great way to solve the energy crisis. And it would be fun to step through a portal and come out near Watkins bookstore in London without having to travel there by car or plane or train. However, I think being a druid is more about having a relationship with nature than it is about being able to have lots of magical powers. Further, getting magical powers often involves making a deal with some otherworldly citizen, and deals like that can get you into a lot of trouble, plus, the otherworldly citizen will expect you to keep your end of the bargain. So, use real caution when making any promise to beings from the other side. In fact, I would tell you to never do it, for any reason. However, everyone is responsible for their own choices in life. I am not saying that shapeshifting does not happen. I myself once shapeshifted into the Rampart Lion, and had lovely red fur. I don’t know why this happened to me, but I am fine now. So, it is possible to shapeshift, although I can’t imagine why anyone would want to. What do you think?

david poole
    Participant

I have not yet had the experience of shapeshifting. I am thinking that what is being referred to here is something like a figure of speech, or a metaphor. Language is being used to convey a particular message. The writer may be referring to an emotional rather than a physical state; maybe an abstract state like happiness or ecstasy which could be described in very abstract terms. In some cases like animals it is a little harder to be sure what is going on. Animals may appear to us as spirits or messengers, either in real life or during meditation or pathworking. These may be messages from within or messages from outside oneself. The animal forms might represent something like this; in terms of other forms, something like a string on a harp can make sounds, sounds are energy vibrations which can cause change and can be used purposefully within a ritual context to create changes of consciousness. One might experience sound as a message or signal within meditation or a sacred context; say with the sound of a harp string. or almost any other instrument. the writer then is trying to describe this experience. this is just an opinion of course. within other planes of being shapeshifting may be easier and more literal.

Anonymous

David, yes, I agree, that shapeshifting is more easy in other planes of being, such as the realm of the faery. However, Taliesin is a riddler and a trickster from the realm of the faery. He was found in a leather bag floating in the ocean, and that would be impossible for a human baby to survive in. So he is a faery being, or has faery blood in him. His mother was Ceridwen, the great grain goddess of the Celts. I don’t think Taliesin is a god though, and I don’t think we have any of his poetry. What we have is poetry written by monks and attributed to him. And in fact the stuff that is said to be by him is not very good. If the poetry had been by him it would have sung and chimed. Therefore, Taliesin could represent that druids should be friends with the faeries or were friends with the faery kingdom and that the faery kingdom has a great deal to do with nature, and mist. Also, time and space is probably different in the faery world, on the other side of the hedge. Not too long ago, I was driving in my car, and I went down a hill, and next, I found myself five miles away, and that is impossible, but it happened, and I was freaked out. So, even reality can be hot wired, and things are not always as they appear. Further, the druid Merlyn was of faery blood. And the whole idea of reincarnating into different animals is kind of stupid to me, because fish like being fish, and cats like being cats, and there is no reason that a cat would want to reincarnate as a dog, or a human. Humans are not any more special than cats or dogs. And that is why we need to respect all animal life and treat all animals as our cousins, which they are, and so are trees, or those who stand above here and there. Now that does not mean that I am a vegetarian, though it is a healthier lifestyle. I just think that we should be real about it and not mistreat cattle or chickens, and try to let them be free range chickens. In fact the goddess Ceridwen turned herself into a chicken, so there is nothing that is not spiritual about being a chicken, but still I am a human and would not want to reincarnate as a chicken. We need to live in harmony with nature. As druids, we can be healthier and happier when we are in harmony and respectful of nature. We can find Awen that will cheer our hearts in nature, and we need clean air to breath and clean water to drink. We are like the modern day naturalist, and find sanity from the screwed up industrial world in nature by being close to nature. Druids are people who love nature and who do not believe in something just because some priest told us it is true. Druids seek wisdom, and love wisdom. I think we are the kind of people who trust our own experiences, and that is how we each have a relationship with the divine. The early druids were more into living in the moment, and trusting their own experiences with life, and this may be why they did not want to write things down, and try to put experiences into codified form, because life needs to be lived through our own experience and not through someone else’s movie. woof Star-tree

Anonymous

In the modern druid world there will always be bullies who want to make themselves feel important by putting other people’s belief in the otherworld down. Bullies like this have low self-esteem and usually are very hurt people. So, they find a druid group and then go to work trying to harass and put down all the real druids who do believe in the otherworld, and faeries, and celtic gods and goddesses. Bullies feel powerful when they are using history or language To try to destroy real druids and witches beliefs in the otherworld. They make assaults on our very spiritual lives. The bullies strive to get magical merit badges in order to make themselves feel powerful. Even more, there is no way stop to them, because they are the kind of people who feed off negative energy, like vampires. The more powerful they feel, the more nastier they get, they never stop. Bullies remind me of Gollum in the lord of the rings. They go around making little evil veiled comments on everyone who is spiritual, attacking while they long for their precious, their power. Still, maybe there is hope for bullies in the druid world, maybe we should not become too scared of their negativity, because they may have some part like Gollum to play in the larger world picture. We can learn from the bully, and not be like them.
    Plus, what the bully does not understand is that they are creating bad Karma, and are not really getting away with anything when they make their endless veiled attacks on spiritual people, bullies shooting speeding arrows at our very souls and spiritual way of life. Do not let these people take your spirituality. Remember, what goes around comes around, and the bullies will never win. And no matter how they try to destroy your spiritualty, remember that the otherworld is all around you, and that the faeries, and Celtic gods and goddesses are real, and that the Celtic gods and goddesses know what the bullies are up to, and so does the faery world. We as druids are strings on the harp, and we have the right to live our spiritual and magical lifestyle.
    Best Star Tree

david poole
    Participant

Don’t let them get you down, you are worth more than them Startree. I always find that you are worth listening to.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.