how to pronounce Samhain?

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum how to pronounce Samhain?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Startree
    Participant

is Samhain pronounced sow-ain, and is the sow like cow or sew? the Irish say sow-in. this is the time to kill pigs for meat. it is slaughter month. like the Irish chain saw massacre. how do they pronounce Samhain in cherrie Cornwall, Dowgri? I think I like it pronounced as sow-ain? why is the piggy sacred to druids? how is this pronounced in Wales
    David? also it is Celtic new year if you go my the green goddess.

Dowrgi
    Participant

In Irish Gaelic it’s more or less “sa’win” or “sown”, depending on the dialect. Scots and Manx Gaelic have slight different pronunciations/variations respectively – Samhainnor and Sauin. I believe the word refers to the Month of November – Mí na Samhna, more or less pronounced “mee na souna”. The night of the 31st is Oíche Shamhna, pronounced “ee howna”.

There is no Cornish pronunciation in the sense that this is a Gaelic word. The Cornish term is Nos Kalan Gwav. The Irish word is believed to derive from a Celtic root *sam connected to summer. The Cornish word gwav, connected to the Welsh and Breton forms, means winter. It has been said that Samhain was the Celtic New Year, however, I don’t think there’s a lot of evidence to support that. The Welsh word for November is Tachwedd, which means the month of slaughter. October in Welsh is Hydref, the month of the stag call.

Bennathow
    /|\

david poole
    Participant

In Irish Samhain is pronounced sow-in (as in cow), in English it is pronounced sah-win with a silent m. It is never pronounced sam-hane, please note. In Welsh it is pronounced Sow-een, in Scottish Gaelic it is sav-en.

Dowrgi
    Participant

Hi David,

The way it’s pronounced in Irish is more like “saa’win” but in Connacht dialect is more like “sown”, I think the Anglicised pronunciation is more like “sow’in” and this sounds more similar to the Scots Gaelic. There’s a good resource online that helps with Irish pronunciation in three major dialects.

https://www.teanglann.ie/en/fuaim/

Bennathow
    /|\

david poole
    Participant

Thanks Dowrgi, I will check that out.

Adam_Darkforest
    Participant

I pronounce it Sow-inn

Sow (As in a female pig) and inn (a roadside hotel). I say it regularly in my work and never been corrected so I guess it’s correct.

david poole
    Participant

If you search for this online you can actually hear samhain being pronounced as an audio file, I tend to think of samhain as sow-ain but that is just me.

Dowrgi
    Participant

Hi David.

Gaelic spellings and pronunciations can be difficult to learn and there’s also a fair bit of variation depending on the dialect being used.

I hear “SAA’win” with the stress on the first syllable and the “aa” more or less as in “father”, whereas in the Connacht dialect “soun” is almost like English “sound” without the final consonant. A lot of English speakers say “sow-win”, with sow as in female pig and draw out the vowels, so to speak. I’ve never, up to now, heard of anyone saying “sam-hane”, but I believe that’s how some do (erroneously) pronounce it.

Bennathow
    /|\

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Read moreAccept