How do we deal with death

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum How do we deal with death

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dave the Druid
    Participant

I have held my grandfather’s hand when he died. I have seen the deaths of friends on the battlefield. My dog has just died and while I know he may be waiting for me. I find the prayers I have said don’t really make me feel better. I think that when I am asked to say something at a funeral I mean it and even feel it but it doesn’t effect me the same way.
    Your thoughts are encouraged.

Peace and Harmony
    Dave the Druid

Angela Lawton
    Participant

I believe we are all spirits in physical bodies and we continue in spiritual form after the death of the body.
    1 Corinthians 15:44 It is sown a physical body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a physical body, there is also a spiritual body.
    You can know this and it is still hard to say goodbye to someone and grief at a loss can stay with us for a lifetime, there’s no easy answers. Everyone deals with grief in their own way.
    That’s my thoughts.

Dowrgi
    Participant

Hi Dave,

I’ve been reflecting on your post for a few days now. As Angela rightly points out out, everyone deals with grief in their own way. I’d add that it also depends on your belief system, too. There are no easy answers indeed.

Our ancient Celtic forebears believed in a continual cycle of birth, death, and rebirth – perhaps somewhat akin to beliefs in Dharmic paths. According to some, births were actually mourned as this meant that the spirt had passed away in the Otherworld – The Vale of Apples or the Land of the Young – to be (re)incarnated in this world!

When it comes to our reactions today, then I suppose the only thing I may say is that it’s all right to grieve and feel sad. Perhaps we “moderns” are too quick to try to make everything better again, euphemisms and platitudes that we think may somehow stop the hurting. I think that grief, however, does have its time and place and if one recognises it for what it is, as something that is valid and perhaps even useful, then that may help in the long run.

Naturally, some things cannot always be dealt with “alone”, nor should they be, in that case it’s always fine to talk to people, or even a professional. I think we need to understand that there’s nothing wrong with that and that bottling things up can be counterproductive.

I hope some of my view have been helpful.

Bennathow
    /|\

Dave the Druid
    Participant

Thanks Angela and Dowrgi,

This is a hard time.
    Angela, your thoughts on being spiritual beings in a corporate shell are interesting. I am not there yet. My spiritual path hasn’t reached that line of experience yet.
    Dowrgi, thanks for trotting out the textbooks. Those are the two systems I know that call for rebirth. The Celtic and the other one. I don’t bring out the Vedas in polite company. As I have said, I know where I am going when I leave this world. (These 2 systems don’t seem to apply to me) I have counseled people experienced the loss of a loved one. We know what to say but not how to ease the pain of loss. The universe has a lot to answer for in my opinion.
    Dowrgi, I appreciate your taking time to consider the question. I am a strong emotional person. I have good control over my feelings and expressions. This time I was blindsided. Knowing where I am going doesn’t let me know where others are going. It would be nice to be sure I will see him on the next trail but I just don’t know.
    I have found that my burden has been eased by talking and making other people feel better. The spreading of the Awen if you will.
    There is some cool stuff that has happened along my spiritual path with this one that I will share at some other time.

Peace and Harmony
    Dave the Druid

Greywolf
    Keymaster

Hello Dave,
    My own attitude to death altered radically when I had my first out-of-body experience. My physical body was sitting on the edge of a bed while my consciousness inhabited another, non-physical body that was standing on the other side of the room. Thinking about this afterwards, it seemed logical to assume that if my consciousness could exist outside of my body while I was alive, there was no reason why it shouldn’t continue to exist after my physical body died. Subsequent encounters with dead people have convinced me I was right. When my wife was dying, I journeyed across the borders of the Otherworld to see if there was anything I could do to help her. In doing so, I caught a glimpse of what awaited her. Through a leafy archway, I saw a sunlit garden with tables laid for a feast, attended by, among others, her mother and father.
    As with much else in my philosophy, my view of death and what lies beyond it has been built on such personal encounters more than on anything I’ve read or heard. I still miss Ellie and am sad that she passed as she did, but the certainty that death is not an end but a transition and that she did, indeed, go to a better place, has provided much comfort.
    That said, my certainty is based on my own experience. I wouldn’t necessarily expect anyone who hadn’t had similar experiences to reach similar conclusions. Death has many faces. I think our cultural mistake is to see all those faces as entirely negative. In Ellie’s case, her physical body had completely failed her, her vital organs shutting down one by one after a long, slow decline. With death, her spirit was released, free to fly, which it literally did. I was privileged to be with her at the moment of her death. As she took her final breath, motes of golden light gathered above her chest where they formed themselves into a golden butterfly that carried her departing spirit out through the closed window, fading into the air outside. It was beautiful, peaceful, serene. Death as blessed release, freedom and joy.
    Many blessings,
    Greywolf /|\

Dave the Druid
    Participant

Trying to reply but having technical issues. Please stand by.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.