Health and fitness

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Health and fitness

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Angela Lawton
    Participant

I am trying to lose weight and improve fitness and have opted for intermittent fasting and walking. Our Ancestors would have had to hunt over days to eat so I am thinking that it is a natural pattern of eating, ie not eating everyday as food would not have been available everyday and they would have had to invest a lot of physical energy to gain the food that they needed to survive.
    I wondered if anybody had experience of intermittent fasting and if they have had a noticeable improvement in health and well-being.?

Dowrgi
    Participant

Hello Angela,

Naturally, any nutrition plan depends on the person in question, their health, lifestyle and, maybe, particular dietary needs. I’m of the opinion that diets should always be worked out with a qualified professional beforehand. Speaking personally, I tend to eat when I’m hungry, avoid eating too much, and walk everywhere as much as possible.

Bennathow
    /|\

Dowrgi
    Participant

You mention our ancestors: it depends how far back you want to go, if we go right back, then our ancestors would have been following a hunter-gatherer lifestyle and diet. This diet did not mean going for long periods of time without food, although that was always a risk, but through circumstance rather than choice. However, this kind of diet, as evidenced by contemporary hunter-gatherer societies’ lifestyles and diets, did mean a lot of variation, little to no excess, and small amounts frequently – obviously coupled with much more physical exercise than many modern, sedentary lifestyles entail.

Dowrgi
    Participant

In terms of our ancient British ancestors, before agriculture arrived about 6,000 years ago, the diet would have most likely included a lot of shellfish, other seafood, wild fruits and berries, honey, nuts, root vegetables and legumes, and, of course, wild game, but not grain nor obviously anything ‘exotic’ or processed, no dairy and no ‘domestic’ meat. Moreover, this would have been subject to seasonality and been varied. Archaeological research suggests that prior to farming, shellfish foraged from coastal areas was very often the dish of the day in pre-Neolithic Britain.

Dowrgi
    Participant

(For some reason, the forum would only allow me to post in small ‘blocks’.)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.