Good historic novels

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Good historic novels

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Bart Van Peteghem
    Participant

I was wondering if anybody can recommend any good historical novels that take place in Celtic times. By “good” I mean both fun to read and historically correct. Thanks for your suggestions.

david poole
    Participant

This is not a question which I can answer properly for you, which raises a very good point in itself: I tend to read spiritual or factual books, not historical fiction. I am actually thinking of something related to Stonehenge here, but without having read the book or books in question I feel that it is unfair to make recommendations.

Dowrgi
    Participant

Hi Bart,

Well, why not try with the actual mythologies and legends of the Celtic peoples? I’d say that’s a good way to get an insight into their worldview and culture. Historically correct, on the other hand, is a ‘big” question, so it depends what you’re looking for.

As a youngster, I used to enjoy Rosemary Sutcliff’s works set in Roman Britain, that might be a start.

Bennathow
    /|\

david poole
    Participant

Peter Beresford Ellis has compiled a collection of Celtic Mythology in a large tome, I haven’t checked it yet and am wondering what it is like; might be my next read soon

Bart Van Peteghem
    Participant

Thanks for your suggestions everyone!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Read moreAccept