Geoffrey of Monmouth

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Geoffrey of Monmouth

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dowrgi
    Participant

Hello everyone.

Recently, I’ve stumbled upon some information that has forced me to re-evaluate a few notions and conceptions I’d previously held. Up until then, I’d been “schooled” to look at Geoffrey of Monmouth’s work as great fiction, but not much more than that. However, I’ve come across some work at Bournemouth University: Lost Voices of Celtic Britain and Miles Russell (Miles from Time Team) that suggest there’s a lot more to Geoffrey’s work than Norman propaganda and the “fiction” that we were thoroughly taught it was.

I think that this might be very useful for all of us here, so I’ll put the link below.

Bennathow
    /|\

https://www.historyextra.com/period/prehistoric/the-lost-voice-of-ancient-britain/

Spellcaster
    Participant

Thanks for the link Dowrgi, and the info, great work, very helpful. I think that most people think of druids as the guys from the 5th century in King Arthur’s Court, or somewhere around there. Which works out well for me, because I like the druid robes and torcs and crowns of oak leaves. So I think the idea that druids were around in the 5th is wonderful. But what about the giants? What do you think of those giants? Were they around at that time? Here is my take on dragons and giants. I think they actually represent the energy that is in the earth. Like a dragon is really made up of Ley energy and consciousness of the earth. And I think that the Giants are the same kind of thing, and they somehow represent a protection of the earth or something like that. Now, I am saying they are real, and I am saying that is my thinking on Giants and Dragons. So, I don’t think there is a way to get around this whole idea that when we are acting like druids that we are somehow re enacting the Arthur’s court. But what is wrong with that. I am still into all the earth energy and magic, all I am doing is adding a wee bit of theatrics in my white robe, and holding my wand. But I still think that my idea of the three branches of druidry hold, if you are talking about how they relate to today’s druidry. But i would say, they are 1. Gaulish, 2. norse 3. Tuatha De dannan. And it is these three influences that make up the modern druid, along with the Neo Pagan party. Anyway, that was some great info and I did go on and buy the book Unroman Britain on Amazon Kindle, just so I could learn a little more about that time, because it is becoming apparent that if I am to be a druid, I need some more history of that time. But, I don’t think we know a whole lot about druids before around 45AD. And I have a new theory, Sir Dowgri, I think Stonehenge was not built by the proto-druids, but by the faeries themselves, the Tutha De Dannan. What do you think about that one. And then I argue that all the archeological stuff is just from people coming along latter and living at the site, just like Newgrange was never originally made as a burial chamber, but was latter used as one by people in the area, and I also think Newgrange was made by the faeries. Best Blue Falcon.

Dowrgi
    Participant

Morning BlueFalcon.

You’ve asked a lot of questions and covered various topics, so I’ll stick to the main ones.

Giants
    Giants abound in the folklore of the British Isles and Ireland, and Cornwall has a lot of legends about giants. Some are good, some are bad and some are ambiguous. What is noteworthy is that they are very often associated with large, imposing geological features. There’s also a founding myth in Cornwall that involves the slaying of a giant. It’s difficult to know how much of this is ancient lore and how much is medieval fantasy, because giant stories are found the world over. What I think they may represent, and it’s just my personal view, is that we are dealing with ideas of overcoming the primordial forces of the land. They are human-centred myths with human beings usually triumphing, through astuteness, over forces that are much more powerful than them.

Dragons
    Now, this might not be to everyone’s liking, but dragons don’t get a good press in Celtic myth and folklore. Dragons aren’t good at all, and they usually symbolise strife, lack of fecundity and so on. They also don’t seem to feature much at all in Iron Age Celtic iconography, serpents – especially ram-headed ones do, but dragons don’t show up at all if I’m not mistaken. Later, in the medieval materials we find dragons, but they’re not the modern friendly, wise dragons of popular fantasy at all. So, I think the jury’s out on dragons. Again, I think that what they symbolise is the chthonic, chaotic and primordial forces of nature that would have been very frightening to earlier peoples and not without good reason given some of the harsh realities they had to live with on a daily basis. When it comes to dragons, however, I’ll not exclude the remote possibility that some prehistoric creature may have survived somewhere or other and this vague memory got passed down in legend.

Swords
    It’s interesting, because swords were considered magic and special in many traditional beliefs from around the world, almost imbued with their own souls, so to speak. What I do think is interesting is if you think about ancient Bronze Age smithing, you have a crucible or cauldron over a fire, you use air to increase the heat, you use this crucible to smelt the ores/bronze, a rod or ingot of bronze as a raw material, a stone mould in which to cast the bronze and water in which to temper it (?), so you’re making something with earth, air, fire and water and when the sword is ready in the mould, you literally draw the sword from the stone. There’s food for thought in that.

Bennathow
    /|\

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by Dowrgi.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Read moreAccept