Further work on understanding the process of death

The British Druid Order Forums Student Support Forums Ovate Student Support Forum Further work on understanding the process of death

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Amanda Gisby
    Participant

Morning all.

Apologies for what looks like a morbid topic but I am looking for some additional guidance and some suggestions from you lovely people.
      I’ve been working on the ovate grade now for nearly two years as I been off down many a rewarding rabbit hole honing and finding many a new skill set.
      The one area that I feel needs more addressing for myself before I can think of progressing onto the druid grade is that on death and dying.

I have worked through the course booklets a number of times but something is still not sitting right with me and I can’t put my finger on it. Does anyone have any suggestions on any additional books that may help?

Blessings to you all

Amanda x

Pete

My personal opinion is one of the better people to look for more information around the subject of death and dying from a Druidry perspective is Kristoffer Hughes.

I’ve heard him speak on the subject a couple of times because of his professional background. Have a look into his book “As the Last Leaf Falls: A Pagan’s Perspective on Death, Dying & Bereavement” and see if that explores the perspective of death you’re seeking.

Another angle to take might be too look up “death doula” training.

But… personally I see this work as relating more to the Druid. Of course each thread of Druidry is connected to the other, but I see the Ovate as more to do with bringing insight and healing, facilitating the living. The Druid bridges the awen between realms in a way that both the Bard and Ovate do not, and for me that is where working within the realities of death and dying resides.

So I put the thought forward that maybe this is something you need to take with you when you’re ready to undergo the “final excersize” of the Ovate work.

/|\

Dowrgi
        Participant

Good morning Amanda,

This is one of those more profound questions, isn’t it? As Pete has said, too, it also relates perhaps just a little more to the Druid course. Nonetheless, it is an important question to consider for all of us. What is it exactly that isn’t sitting well with you?

I think so much depends on one’s own world-view and ‘cosmology’ as well, thus my own outlook might not be of much use to you anyway.

Bennathow
          /|\

Amanda Gisby
          Participant

Dear all,

Many thanks for your responses. I will definitely have a look into the work of Kristoffer Hughes and sit with this for a while before I take the final exercise on towards the druid grade, I can’t thank you enough for that.

I wish I could put my finger on exactly what is not sitting right with me, maybe I am trying to complete a puzzle without all the pieces and mixing myself up. But what a wonderful exploratory path.

Best wishes as ever

Amanda x
            /|\

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.