fall September 22 equinox

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum fall September 22 equinox

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

some druids see this date more of a time of change of season, and a light to dark time of year. a summer to winter change. It must be a liminal time. And also a lot of druids see awen as more than inspiration. They see it as a natural energy. a pre-christian concept. further, the whole concept of the Celtic Gods as archetypes makes more sense now. the archetype of the witch Cerridwen, an archetype of an English witch. I feel the whole idea of natural energy works better as a description. but awen can be seen as a force that runs through the universe. is there a connection between awen and the equinox? and why is sowen so important if the equinox is a celestial event. it seems the equinox is the real end to summer and the beginning of fall. it is very difficult to explain druidry without using the word spirit. but the word spirit is just overused and words like natural energy or anything else sounds better that shouting spirituality all the time. druids sounding like priests is not a good look. Is winter more male of female, more yin or yang? it does feel like a time of year to count your blessings and watch your cash, and prepare for the dark days. I wonder if this was a scary part of time of the year for the druids. winter is coming.

Dowrgi
    Participant

Morning Startree,

There’s not really any hard evidence to suggest that the ancient Celtic cultures attached that much importance to the solstices, hence the lack of any unequivocal references in the literatures of the Celtic peoples and perhaps the reason you’ll find more material on Samhain. In addition, Samhain seems to have been more important in Gaelic culture, yet not so important in Brythonic areas.

Bennathow
    /|\

Anonymous

but is there evidence of what awen is? as far as the sowin, it seems that was the time of the apple harvest, and food was a big thing back then, just like it is now. I try to act like karma is real, even if it is not. I think that acting like karma is real makes us better people. some druids think that it would be difficult to be a druid if you did not life in England because druidry gets a lot of its meaning from the land. I do think it would be easier to be a druid if you lived in the UK. still, most Celtic people agree that the Celtic way of life calls to their heart. I really like the song John barley corn must die by Steve windwood, he is like an angel. and this is a difficult time for us all with the virus lurking around. feel like we just have to keep our balance, this will pass.

Dowrgi
    Participant

but is there evidence of what awen is?

Well, awen is an abstract concept and ideal, but in terms of inspiration – I suppose you have the entire corpus of bardic poetry to attest to some kind of inspiration. Let’s not forget the shadowy figure of Talhaearn Tad Awen (Talhaern Tat Aguen) referred to in the early 9th century CE and placed in the the 6th-7th centuries CE. Therefore, it seems that the concept of “awen” has been around in Brythonic Celtic culture for a long time.

As for Samhain, it seems indeed to have been an end-of-harvest festival, with an emphasis on livestock and the slaughtering of animals that could not be overwintered easily. Similar customs and traditions abound throughout European traditions, the Anglo-Saxon name for November being the “Blood Month” (Blōtmōnaþ) in reference to this. Some form of these traditions, albeit Christianised to an extent and less bloody, have continued to the present day in rural areas. The overwintering of livestock only became feasible for most people in the British Isles and Ireland in the late-17th to early-18th centuries with the introduction of farming practices such as four-crop rotation and the cultivation of turnips that could provide winter fodder, this in turn allowed for the selective breeding of farm animals too, so the necessity of slaughtering animals before winter set in remained a practical one until well after the Medieval period.

In terms of Samhain, and also Hallowe’en, there’s a lot of nonsense that has been written, so it’s best to exercise caution when drawing any conclusions. Nevertheless, the connection with apples is interesting because both the Welsh and Cornish festivals of Nos Galan Gaeaf and Nos Kalan Gwav (the Calends of Winter) include(d) traditions with apples and, of course, apple bobbing is a typical Hallowe’en game too. Interestingly, it seems that the Romans introduced the apple to the British Isles and there was a Roman goddess, Pomona, associated with fruit trees and orchards, however, there is no evidence to suggest that a Roman festival influenced the Celtic festivals of Britain or indeed Ireland and I don’t think we have any recorded date for a Roman festival of Pomona either. All the same, it does provide food for thought, pardon the pun, and it is interesting considering the importance of apples in mythology.

Bennathow
    /|\

Anonymous

The Annwfn, the darkness and light, a world of fantasy and the wonder, as described by Taliesin in Preiddeu Annwfn, from the book of Taliesin, feels like the equinox. Pronounced anoon, an welsh un, and twfn deep, the undeep,parallel world, a bard of abred, and ovate of gwynfyd, a druid of Ceugant. A bard who sings the songs of the earth.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.