Faeries

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Trooping Faeries in England belong to the Seelie Courts of Scotland, and are called the Daoine Sidhe, (pronounced Theena Shee) in Ireland. They like living in Hollow hills. Faeries can impart all kinds of gifts to druids, like prophecy or healing or music. Sometimes when they travel you will feel a great gust of wind arise from nowhere, like me and my friend did this summer. So, welcome to the faery realm where we can explore the faeries. Have you had any encounters with Faeries? Stay Calm Spellcaster

Anonymous

names for faeries, The Good people, The shining ones, the little people, the Wee Folk , The Good neighbors, The hidden people, the Mother’s blessing, The Gentry,

Faerie, comes from the French word Fee, and from the latin word Fatare, that means to enchant.

Anonymous

Some of the faeries favorite foods are foxgloves, primrose, thyme elder, and blueberry.

Anonymous

There was more belief in faeries about 200 years ago, but now many people no longer believe in the good folk because people can be stupid. Oh yes, they won’t believe in anything that they do no have historic documentation on, or footnotes, or pictures of. but faeries are real, and can be quite dangerous if you piss them off. And can be quite helpful if you get along with them.

Anonymous

my question is should you thank faeries if they do kind things for you, or is it an insult to the faeries to thank them. Then there is a greater question. Now if you start to feed feral cats in the neighborhood and then stop the cats get quite mad and will snarl at you as a tactic to get you to feed them. First they will be kind but if you do not feed them they will get rather nasty. So, if you start putting out food for the faeries, and stop, I would think the faeries might get quite agitated and you do not want to agitate the faeries. So, I am not sure I would feed the faeries. And as I understand it they like cream but not skim milk or milk. and cream is expensive.. Do you feed the faeries? Maybe I should make some faery mix, you know, like dog chow, and market it nationally in America. So Americans can feed the faeries. I don’t know why purina does not have a faery chow, chow, chow chow, purina faerie chow. I can also sell it in Britain, because everyone knows that British people love feeding the faeries. And then there should be a faery spca
    type of society for help for lost or sick faeries. And we should also make it a law that it is illegal to hurt or harm a faerie in any way. And there are people in America, that make faerie houses for a living. Spellcaster

david poole
    Participant

You always know when the fairies have been around because they like to leave behind signs of their activities like faery rings. I have often seen these cropping up and often in all kinds of different places. They always feel most magical, some are large enough to step inside indicating that the faeries have been very busy. Places where the faeries have been always feel like happy places, they are benevolent and cause no harm.

Anonymous

Dear David, I was once at the University of Richmond, and I was out on the playing field and found a ring of mushrooms of about at least 25 different kinds of mushrooms in a ring, and I think it was a ring that the faeries grew for a party. It was in the early summer, so the field was not being used. It really was amazing, and I wish I had taken a picture of it now. But it was not a very large ring, maybe a foot and a half across, another time I saw a ship made of spider web come down out of the trees and glide just above the ground for 50 feet before landing perfectly on a leaf, the spider web ship looked just like a clipper ship. I think the faeries were having some fun and sailing down out of the trees. Also, it is said that each garden has a faery protecting it, and I think this is true. Thank you for sharing your faery story, and if you think of any more of them please share them with us. I feel that many people have had an experience with the faeries but are ashamed or afraid to speak about it because people have been told that speaking about the faeries is socially taboo. Certainly the Christian Church has tried to wipe out all knowledge about them, and even destroyed Biddy Early’s blue healing bottle that was give to her by the faeries to heal people. The church also used the excuse of people being friends with the faeries to prosecute people as witches.
    Also another strange thing about the faeries is that they don’t like dirty houses and want people to keep their houses and rooms straight. I think that faeries are as fascinated by humans as we are of them. I do wonder why they like mushroom so much, and I try to leave mushrooms alone in the yard when I find them, because I always think that the faeries planted them there. Maybe the faeries like eating mushrooms, I did see a squirrel at the park eating a mushroom. I wonder what cats and squirrels and birds think about faeries, Some people say that faeries can turn themselves into birds. And of course the Corgi is known as the faery dog because they get alongs so well with the faeries, but then corgis are just pure bundles of love, but they do tend to bark a wee lot. I really want a corgi. best Spellcaster

Anonymous

I think what people need to understand about the faeries is that The church and English culture conditioned people to believe that the faeries were not real, more than that, the english tried to destroy Irish, Scottish, and welsh language, and told people that the other languages than English were worthless. It has been a insidious genocidal propaganda campaign against the faeries and Scottish and Irish and Welsh people. And many of the Scottish, Welsh and Irish people became to believe that their own culture and language was not worth the time to learn. This is what advertising and propaganda can do to people. Once people lost touch with the faeries, the way was clear to cut down the forest and industrialize the country. Even now there are Scottish people who refuse to learn Gaelic. So, do not underestimate the power of the media to destroy very ancient cultures and devalue the faeries. You as druids should value the Welsh, Irish, and Scottish cultures and their languages. That we still have so much Welsh language and poetry left is a blessing and a miracle. And the druids are bringing much of the old ways back. We as druids are here and proud of it. We are confident in our magic and relationships with the faeries. Spellcaster

Dowrgi
    Participant

I think you need to bear in mind that folklore about faeries, elves, boggarts, brownies, knockers, hobs and Pucks and a whole array of other such beings exists all over the British Isles and Ireland, including the historically English-speaking parts. One area where there is a rich treasury of folklore is Lancashire, with the marsh boggarts, and Wessex is also rich in stories about piskies and fairies and Kent has its stories about fairy sparks. I don’t think you can say it was “English culture” at all since “English culture” is rich in folklore concerning these beings. The Christian church(es) throughout the British Isles and Ireland was/were obviously not too keen on the ways of the country folk, but they certainly didn’t try to tell people that these beings didn’t exist at all and throughout the medieval period, obviously a Christian period, varying explanations for these beings was given – but their existence was not denied. It’s interesting to note that Robert Kirk, who wrote The Secret Commonwealth (1692), was a minister of the church.

It is only with the so-called Age of Enlightenment, science, rationalism and industrialisation that this folklore began to wane. Increasing urbanisation and detachment from nature and the wild, alongside puritanical/17th – 18th century Protestant attitudes towards anything considered medieval and superstitious, also contributed to this no doubt.

Another thing that ought to be borne in mind is that in “genuine” or traditional folklore, there were numerous different kinds of entities, some good, some bad and some ambivalent and they usually have little in common with the faeries of popular imagination today, which are more of a Victorian invention.

The dynastic politics and warfare of various royal houses in the British Isles is complex. The great irony is that the Tudor dynasty – a Welsh family, actually dealt a severe blow to the Welsh language and brought Cornish culture to its knees. There was never a time when all of Scotland spoke Scots Gaelic, the south-eastern parts were historically Northumbrian-English speaking and the current Scots language/dialect is far more similar to Middle and Old English than probably any other form of English currently spoken elsewhere. In the Shetlands and Orkney Islands, a dialect of Norse, Norn, was spoken right up to the 19th century and the dialects still spoken in those islands are rich in terminology from Old Norse. Scots, as opposed to Gaelic, was already becoming the prestige language in Scotland during the 14th century and by the time of James I/VI, was the language of the influential court and its power base in Edinburgh. During this period, English came to be known as Scots and Gaelic as Irish or Erse in Scotland – marking the changes in society. You also need to bear in mind that for about three hundred and fifty years, the kings of England didn’t speak English as a first language, they spoke French and it was only in the late 14th and early 15th centuries that English began to be used at court. To this day, experts in Norman-French need to be consulted when looking at ancient laws and the statute that allowed English to be used in court (1362) was actually written in … French!

Bennathow
    /|\

Anonymous

Yes Exactly Dowrgi, and it is amazing we have so much folklore left. I see it really as in the last two hundred years that the great assault on people not believing in the Celtic Otherworld happened. That is why Ross Nichols started all this druid revival. Ross grew up in a time when there was still a magical world view out in the countryside. And then WWI and WWII came along, and all this technology like tractors, and electricity, and people moving to the cities and out of the countryside. And the magical world of the faeries was just thought to be a stupid uneducated view of life. People thought the educated people did not believe in such nonsense as faeries. It was a tremendous amount of change in society. And by WWII people like hitler had learned to manipulate advertising and propaganda. The world really changed in a short time, and so as it is now with computers and all the military weapons like drones. So Ross wanted people to rethink things. And this is where we are now. Now don’t forget it is the people like the Scottish Lord Sutherland who wiped out a lot of Scottish culture during the time he kicked all the families off of the clan land. So the Scottish are responsible in a large part for losing the the culture and language. But I also want to stress, that the modern press and advertisers really shape our views. And are the media is very powerful, and there are many politicians who manipulate the media. So, what I was trying to get at is that people 200 years ago and even 150 years ago were more likely to believe in the faeries. I know that my parents generation thought faeries and ghosts were all fake, and some of them even became atheist, and screamed god is dead. So, it is difficult to regain a belief in the faeries. And when we don’t see a spirituality in nature, the we seem as mankind, to just disrespect nature’s and mine and frack and f….k the hell out of it. And Dowrgi, modern warfare with all the bombs and land minds, is just hell on earth. There is no way to describe how horrible it is, as we watch these wars from the safety of out living room televisions. I feel part of being a druid, and probably the most important part is to have a relationship with nature and the nature spirits of the trees and plants and animals and woodland. we are not whole when the think we can live without a relationship with nature. And much of this has happened within the last 100 years. Which is not a long time. The truth is people can be really mean and hurtful if they live in a world that has no spirituality in it. Dowrgi, faerie can be kind and some of them are mean. But look at it from their point of view, we humans are ruining their home. What I am saying, is that the faeries are real, and we need to have a kind relationship with them. Many blessings Spellcaster

Dowrgi
    Participant

Well, I suppose it depends on where you come from and how you’ve been brought up. Originating in the West Country, these traditions are still alive. On Hallowe’en or Allantide, I always leave a glass of milk, sweetened with honey and a nice big red apple outside over the night. I was also once sternly rebuked by an older family member while in a forest for not having spoken in the correct way about the good people of the woods – you shouldn’t mention them by name. I kid you not. We also used to wassail our old apple tree with cider and we would leave a glass out for the night at Christmas time and my grandmother had her corn dollies over the kitchen hearth. I think it depends on how modernised and industrialised the area where you find yourself is.

Bennathow
    /|\

Anonymous

Dear Dowrgi, Thank you for sharing those wonderful memories, and stories. Best William

Anonymous

The goddess Aine was a god of the tuatatha de dannan that was the patroness of sovereignty, she was demoted to faerie status. She killed a king of Munster who raped her. She used magic to do it. Lunasa is sacred to her.

She is protected by Dinnshenchas, which are shapeshifting faeries that avenge women who have been raped.
    Her flower is Medowsweet. She was married to the earl of Desmond who died when their son jumped into a bottle and then turned into a wild goose and flew away. Aine is said to live in Count Limerick. So maybe the old gods retire as faeries in the faerie mounds. anyway you better watch out if you are an evil person who rapes people because the Dinnshenchas are coming for you to beat you up and make you pay for what you done, and get some payback for Aine .

Anonymous

the reason that rape is so evil is because it is an attack on a person’s soul and spirit, and causes long term mental illness and low self esteem. The story of Aine shows that the Celtic Otherworld has morals and there is justice delt out to people who rape other people, and rape is a spiritual attack on another person.

Anonymous

it turns out that the faery population on earth is very very large. Much larger than I thought, There could even be as many faeries on earth as there are people. so, wether you know it or not, there are a lot of faeries around, and a world that is more magical than Harry Potter, right next door. Now Druid guys take care, because there are a lot faery chicks out there, and some of them get up to some pretty crazy stuff. the Silvane Chicks are very beautiful but also have goat feet, for real, and they like the color red. And what do you feed faery chicks, well, one thing they like is Silverweed, and I need to look up what that stuff is. And the faery chicks like dressing up in wolf skin. Plus they have booming nails. So, next time you are down at the pub having a pint or two or three, you just might be talking to a faery chick. So, if you see a chick in red, with booming nails, and a wolfskin clothes, and horse hooves, it just might be a faery chick you are talking about, and be careful because she might want to drag you back to her cave. And she may want to eat you. They also hang around mountain pools and have been known to drag druids to the bottom and drown them by wrapping their long hair around a druids feet and dragging him to the bottom. So, it is always a good idea to ask permission from the faeries before you go swimming in any mountain pools, and certain rivers. So, have fun, and stay safe. And one more thing, the faery chicks can shapeshift. And no, I don’t know if there are any faery travesties, or faeries with larrys, but who knows what the faeries get up to after munching down some magic mushrooms. All I am saying is there are lots of faeries out there, and they can appear in human size, so don’t get the stupid idea that all faeries are little small people, for you will be wrong on that one history professors. Who knows, you may be dating a faery or even married to a faery. One thing for sure, is that there is a otherworld right next to ours, and all you have to do is find the door. The Spellcaster

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.