Elder Tree

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Rebecca Hall
    Participant

I have a lovely elder tree in my garden. She is reasonably old and before I came to animism and began hearing the trees a little, I pruned and chopped her, irreverently. She has always born lots of fruit, after I started tending her, however I feel I need to give thanks and also I need to remove a couple of older boughs, which are going to help divert her energies into newer boughs and rejuvenate her.

The question is how would you suggest I do that, and what can I do with the boughs after? I am learning to carve wood a little, so I could do something creative and special, but I am new on this path, so ignorant.

I also want to say sorry to her for being blind and deaf before.

Dowrgi
    Participant

Good morning Rebecca,

Your post raises some interesting questions about our relationship with the natural world. By pruning the tree you are, in a sense, helping the tree and in nature itself, high winds, storms and fires also “prune” trees. On the other hand, you have written that you want to prune the older boughs to divert energy into the younger ones. Is this your decision to make? Perhaps you should spend some time meditating with your tree in order to decide – together.

As far as respecting your tree, why not wassail your tree with elderflower or elderberry wine? That’s an old country tradition, usually for apples and pears, but I see no reason why any fruit bearing tree couldn’t be honoured in the same way.

In Celtic beliefs, the elder tree is a fairy tree, so work carefully with it and establish a good relationship and you will be establishing a good relationship with the fair folk.

Bennathow
    /|\

david poole
    Participant

These all sound like good ideas. We have not long ago passed the time of Ruis the Elder and are now within the time of Nionn the Ash, which possesses a very specific meaning of its own. I have been through the entire wheel of the year with the trees but tend to focus on each month one at a time. Elder is famed for its medicinal and healing properties, that much I do know. Elderflower is an excellent drink. It is supposed to be mildly healing, in a manner similar to calpol.

Rebecca Hall
    Participant

Thanks Dowgri, the weather is good today, so I will go and ask, and listen to what she wants. She guards my veg patch, and has a lovely little rhubarb which keeps her toes war. I will listen and see what she wants.

I work in permaculture and am very much on the side of facilitating nature through understanding the wisdoms of the plants and their relationships, so I hope I am developing. Then we can harvest the fruits in relationship and thankfulness. So I will keep going along that path mindfully.

Rebecca Hall
    Participant

Regarding wassailing, I have home made rhubarb wine and mead, do you think they would be acceptable alternatives?

Dowrgi
    Participant

Hello again.

Well, traditionally you wassailed the trees with cider or perry, being apple and pear trees respectively, i.e. with their own produce. On the other hand, I think it’s more of a case that it’s the thought that counts, so if you’re happy with rhubarb wine or mead, why not? I think ale was also used in the past.

Bennathow
    /|\

Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

What kind of Fruit Tree is it?

3X3

Dowrgi
    Participant

What kind of Fruit Tree is it?

3X3

An elder(berry) tree – Sambucus nigra, also known as the black elder or European elder.

Bennathow
    /|\

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Read moreAccept