Druidistic Leftists & Rightists

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Druidistic Leftists & Rightists

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

Awens to All:

I try to follow Emma Restall-Orr’s Example and try to stay Neutral in my Politicals. I picked that up from her Book ‘A Pagan Ethics’ when I found that she never referred to Nature as neither Feminine or Masculine but of a Neutral Gender. She never went much into Leftist or Rightist Politics but that was when I decided that the same Attitude could be applied to such Politics.

So since then, I have always tried to be Neutral with my Politics. But I definitely do not like it when I see the Muslims enforcing Political Correctness onto others and seldom Practicing it themselves.

3X3

Angela Lawton
    Participant

Peace be with you Dave. I don’t think Muslim bashing is very helpful and I think Islam is vastly misunderstood. I have read the whole of the Qur’an from start to finish and it contains some beautiful and profound Suras. I don’t think you can lump a whole religious group under one umbrella of behaving badly towards others.

david poole
    Participant

I have to say that I am slightly uneasy with what you have said here Dave, although I certainly do not trust dogmatism and consider it to be very restraining, I am also very much in favour of protection from attack by religious groups, which is all too common; that does not mean that I accept negative comments regarding religious groups as this may develop into a general attitude of negativity towards a particular group. I am not quite sure what to say here except that we appear to be walking a thin line with this discussion. I do not see what a discussion of Islam has to do with the thread’s apparent title, Druidistic Leftists and Rightists. The title implies a more general political based discussion, not an attack upon one particular faith which is where it appears to be going.

Dowrgi
    Participant

I have only just noticed this post, which I thought was going to be about left or rightwing politics. However, I think some ideas are being conflated here. Which particular “gender” one assigns to an abstract concept such as nature has little, I believe, to do with one’s political persuasion on the left or the right. I have always heard the term “Mother Nature” from people across the political spectrum, and many nature-oriented spiritual traditions tend to view “nature” or the Earth and so on in the feminine. We could be here all day and for ever discussing this. Indeed, depending on which language you speak, you may not even have a choice either because many languages assign grammatical gender to abstract concepts or “inanimate” things anyway – most European languages do this, including Celtic languages.

In terms of politics themselves, I fail to see how anyone can really stay neutral in politics short of going to live as a hermit on a remote island or mountain somewhere – it’s just not possible if one is a member of a polity. I always think that the “I’m apolitical” argument is a bit of a cop out or case of washing one’s hands. Apathy can be just as potentially dangerous as any other political opinion – those who remain silent give consent.

Finally, I am rather uncomfortable with your last comment, a bit of a non sequitur anyway. Sweeping generalisations do not make for strong arguments and what you have written effectively lumps nearly 2 billion individual human beings into one monolithic block who, according to you, enforce “Political Correctness” (whatever that actually means) on to others. I am sure you appreciate that many people might consider that to be a bit of a bigoted comment.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Read moreAccept