Druid Prophecy – free will—nothing set in stone

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Druid Prophecy – free will—nothing set in stone

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Just because something is seen in the cards or scrying bowl does not mean it will come true, but that it may happen if people don’t change their ways. Prophecy thought of as predestination only gives people the excuse to continue on polluting the earth or destroying their own health. It’s like and older person who won’t stop smoking tobacco because they think they are going to die in three years anyway. It is a negative take on life. Most pagans hate dogma because it take away free will, and does not allow for self investigation of the way the world really works. Being a druid makes me feel like I am part of a tribe and feel the roots of celtic life, fields merge, and telepathy makes us aware of a larger spiritual community, a larger inclusive bubble. Further, conversation is really important to healing the planet, so we have to be inclusive. Get planetary. A better signal to noise ratio, =we live in a uninvest of infinite dimension. Peace for I cop to the existence of the source, rings like a bell, chanting awen, we are here, we hear you, a continuum is not a duality, because thought can manifest on the material plane. Could it all be one thing including everyone all the time, that Mahayana cruise ship.

david poole
    Participant

I have to disagree with you here Startree, just because we use divination does not make us wrong to do so I am detecting an implied criticism here. Divination can be very useful in helping to make the right decisions or to avoid making the wrong ones, it can provide useful ideas or suggestions for changing our lives. Divination does not change our principles, we can use divination and still care for the planet. Perhaps you are referring to another religion here, one that believes in comforting itself while continuing along its same old ways. That would allow a lot of harm to be done without recognising the need for change.

Anonymous

Hi David, I am all for druids using divination, I don’t know where you are getting the concept that I don’t. However, I am against predestination, and the future can always change if we will change our behavior. I use tarot cards all the time. Just because you see something in divination does not mean it will come true. We have free will. Just look at what the christians have done to the planet because they think the Bible end time stories and the return of Jesus prophecy is true and that it will happen no matter what. It gives the Christian an excuse not to try to change and make a better future. Divination tells you what is the most probable outcome if things don’t change. And divination also helps you to see what you need to change,

Divination can be very useful in helping to make the right decisions or to avoid making the wrong ones, it can provide useful ideas or suggestions for changing our lives.

Yes this is exactly what divination does, David. but remember, divination is not alway correct, and it does not always work. It is very easy to get the wrong reading in divination. Just saying, you can’t rely on it 100% of the time. I think you have some good insights into the power of divination, and it seems like you have been experimenting with it. What is your favorite form of divination? Cards? runes? scrying? watching animals? I think all could work. I have had dreams where I see the future and the events, and the dreams have come true. So, something is going on and druids must be able to see into the future. Still, we do not have to accept fate, and can be heroes. Also, many people underestimate the power of intuition. Plus, I have found prayer to the Celtic Gods and Goddesses to work, and the Celtic Otherworld is listening. But the idea of pagan principles is a tricky one, and you know that pagans hate dogma, we like to think things out for ourselves, so I am not sure you can even say that druids have principles, it is more like we have attitudes and don’t believe something just because some preacher said it is true. we are not robots, and think for ourselves. And we don’ have 10 commandments. So, I doubt that pagan principles exist, and I know that this is a difficult concept to grasp. I have a difficult time with it. Still trying to find a way to express it. It may be that being a druid is more about being in a relationship of respect with nature, than following a set of rules or principles. In fact, when I first came to druidry, I was looking for a set of rules to make me feel safe, and it was a shock to me that druids don’t have rules like the 10 commandments.

david poole
    Participant

Your answer is very helpful Startree. I can now see where you are coming from more clearly. I think that you are right that we do not have dogma. I do not think that principles and dogma are the same thing, we respect principles rather than being bound by them. Do Druids have principles? We have had a long discussion over one attempt to define that, Bobcat’s Living With Honour. Of course, this is one particular person’s perspective and we do not have to agree with them, or we may agree with part of another person’s statement but not all of it. I think that it might be argued that Druids tend to have particular principles, such as respecting life and respecting nature, or respecting tradition, or the ancestors or the gods, again this is not meant to be prescriptive and is not meant to be dogma. With regards to divination methods, maybe they are not completely accurate either but then neither is anything that we think or feel, how can we rely upon ourselves all of the time? I am always learning to try to improve my accuracy but there will always be some room for doubt. I understand cards fairly well but am still learning their meanings; the accuracy can be quite uncanny in predicting future events, when I have no advance awareness of what is about to happen so yes, I would say that that has been consistently useful.

Anonymous

so I think what you are saying is that there are some guidelines, but we don’t have to follow them if we don’t want to, in contrast to dogma, where you are required to follow the guideline. And I was thinking how having to follow dogma can lean to guilt when you step off walking the required line in many religions, and guilt is a very destructive force because it makes us feel like we are not good people. further, I don’t think all witches and druids are good people, because some people do use the power of magic for negative and revengeful purposes. there are traditional witches in the pagan community that have no problem hurting people with spells, but overall the majority of pagans are very kind and loving and compassionate people. I am glad I am not a christian because christians have to deal with a lot of guilt if they go against what is written in the Bible. I also feel that we should not dwell on feeling guilty about what went on in the past, because the past is the past and it should not be able to hurt us now, and we can learn from our mistakes without having to feel the weight of guilt forever and ever. even though I am not a christian, I do like many of the positive messages in the Bible, if they are looked on as suggestions and friendly advice from the wellspring, and so much of our culture does come from the christian influence. but in contrast, the pagan view of a living goddess earth is a magical way to experience life. one of the big challenges in becoming a druid is to not let a christian upbringing cause a pagan to feel guilt, it is like the lesbian who tells me she is going to hell because she is a lesbian, and I have to assure her she is not going to hell, as she crys a dead sea of christian guilt. the christians tell us that there is only one god, and that this god is the god of Abraham, and if we worship Any other god or goddess, we are going to burn in hell, and that is just a guilt trip, big time. druidry is an escape from dogma, druidry is a way to be happy and see all the beauty in the world, without being nailed to the cross of guilt. and it is not alright for the christian to pick on us and tell us we are all going to hell. And the christians need to be told that collectively we are tired of their guilt trip. truth against the world. Y gwir yn erbyn y byd,

david poole
    Participant

Yes Startree that’s it, it’s kind of like ideals, except the idea is that when we follow our principles or ideals things tend to turn out better in the long run either for ourselves or for others. Freedom of choice is very important as our decisions can affect our fate or someone else’s fate in positive or negative ways. If we are aware of the possible consequences of our actions then we should always be trying to make better choices rather than worse choices.

Anonymous

In general, in the Bible, the prophets really did not forecast the future, but more just pissed off the established government by telling them that they need to return to the old ways or all hell would break out, just think of John the Baptist telling the king that his sexual relations were a sin, but they were no more than a cultural sin in reality. So is the word prophet really the way to think about this. I feel that in druidry, prophecy is really more like psyche vision, and is definitely occult in nature. I mean we are trying to remote view with our third eye into the future. This kind of thing has happened to me several times, and I think scrying can work. like lots of magic, I think it may work because all thing are interconnected at some level. But, I do not feel all things are one, unless you are talking of a much larger world metaphor. And just for fact, there are a lot of people who I feel are so evil that I have no intention of being one with them. The only real prophecy I can think of in the bible is revelations, and I feel that book is talking more about a change is how we look at the world, than what is really going to happen. My best bet for the future is that the Space aliens will reveal that they have been her all the time, and that these multi dimensional beings have been manipulating the dna of humankind since life on earth. further, a lot of what we see as magic is just advance alien technology, such as teleportation. But the biggest weird thing to deal with is do the aliens have a religion. I feel they must, and I am sure they have created their gods in their own image, just like we humans do. I also feel that druidry helps us explore the human potential of telepathy. but most important, the beings that we meet on the path can raise our level of spiritual awareness, or maybe that is not the right word, but what is it about addictions that are so compelling, and if we go to a higher frequency does that end the feeling of being compelled. Star tree

david poole
    Participant

I have not really studied the Bible, in terms of prophetic powers this seems to me to be somewhat like a number of psychic powers like divination or the ability to read the future. Who knows, maybe the biblical prophets or some of them did have genuine powers, these are gifts that can arise within ordinary people at any time. Their interpretation of their readings would have been heavily influenced by their time and couched in terms which people could understand, so their prophecies could have a real basis without necessarily coming from the source which many people think they do.

Dowrgi
    Participant

Well, we could consider that the word prophet comes from Greek, prophetes, and meant something more on the lines of a spokesperson or wise one, it didn’t necessarily mean one who foretold the future as it seems to have come to mean today. In the Bible, the Greek word was used to translate the Hebrew word for a soothsayer, that is to say one who speaks the truth, again, it doesn’t necessarily imply foretelling the future. It’s more like saying it how it is. Interestingly, the Latin word, vates, seems to be derived from/related to a Celtic source, Irish faith for a poet and the Welsh gwawd, which in turn takes us back to an intriguing web of etymologies and derivations that are of interest to anyone studying Celtic cultures. The name of the Vatican apparently derives from an Etruscan word that passed into Latin and, subsequently, Italian and meant to prophesy, so the Vatican Hill – Mons Vaticanus – is the “hill of prophesy”.

Bennathow
    /|\

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. Read moreAccept