Dogmas, Catmas, and Wolfmas

The British Druid Order Forums BDO Public Forum Dogmas, Catmas, and Wolfmas

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Dogmas, Catmas, and Wolfmas

According to Phllip Shallcrass, Chief Greywolf, in his book Druidry,

“There are no dogams inDruidry, just catmas. Dogmas are rigid beliefs, often received from others, that tend to stifle freedom of thought and expression. Catamas are fluid beliefs, held only as long as they have value, perhaps until they are superseded by our growth in experience and understanding. Catmas offer us the freedom to behave as if our beliefs are true, allowing us to thoroughly test their worth.” (Druidry p.3)

I like the Catmas, but I also have Wolfmas. A Wolfma is a personal belief that is worth defending, it is like a moma wolf, bark, (Woof), A wolf bark that lets you know, hey, I am alright with you as long as you don’t mess with me or my wolf cubs, we all have a right to live in harmony and peace along with each other, and we all have a right to believe what we want to believe. No one should ever try to force or use peer pressure to force their beliefs on another person. And I find that that Wolfmas help me to stick to my guns. One of my Wolfmas is to not smoke, no matter what, I don’t even smoke weed. Another of my Wolfmas in a belief in reincarnation. Other Wolfmas I have are a belief in the otherworld, and the faery world. I also believe in baby dragons. Wolfmas are core beliefs that do not change. These Wolfmas do not come from other people. Wolfmas are a personal decision and are part of the core personality of a druid. They come from love, just like a moma wolf loves her cubs. They are what make a Celtic druid as strong and powerful and magical as an oak tree. Wolfmas only come about after long reflection, and are not the flavor of the week belief. I do think it is wonderful to be flexible, like a swinging bridge. To not be to ridged in A belief system, or to easily accept a druid doctrine. But I think it is alright for a druid to have some core values that he or she lives by. Again, it is important to respect all peoples beliefs because the gods and goddesses talk to different people in different ways. And it is also important to welcome all types of people to druidry. But I don’t want to use the word tolerate because that sounds so sinister. Like we have to tolerate a bully, or tolerate a teacher who can’t teach. I like the word respect better. Because that implies that all people have a spark of the divine in them, and if you get past one negative thing about a person, you can always find 5 positive things about any person. We are going to have to all work together to save the world from global warming and that means we are all going to have to work together and respect each other. On that note, I can tell you the faeries realm is very, very, very, upset about global warming and the world pollution. So be kind to the faeries and I know they will work with us to solvethis problem. We can change things around, and I think having some strong convictions, like Wolfmas, can help us to stand strong against those who do not understand how important our relationships with nature are. Wolfmas are made of love, love for ourselves, love for our family, love for our fellow druids and witches, love for our tribe, and love for nature and mother earth.
    Woof, Star Tree

david poole
    Participant

I think that I am still very much at the catma stage, I like to think that I am open minded and flexible without being willing to compromise on those things that matter. I am still in the process of a great deal of self discovery so I think that that approach is very necessary and important. Do you think that there are certain qualities which other animals possess which we can learn from?

Anonymous

David, we should all always stay at a catma stage, like zen buddhist, a beginners mind. Fresh and open to new ideas and new ways of seeing the old everyday world. And as far as animal qualities, Yes, Look at the falcons, they are predators, and an important part of the ecosystem because without them things would not stay in balance. What beautiful animals, and if you ever get a chance, stare into their eyes. Fortunately, for you, there are many falconry clubs in merry old England, and you should take advantage of that and go to a falconry event and see the falcons in action. I know that in the Middle Ages that falconry was only for the rich , and the penalty for stealing a falcon, was that you were held down, and a falcon used its beak to rip 6 ounces of flesh from your chest. But now there are many people who are into falconry and to see the birds dive at over 100 miles per hour is just wonderful. I am learning all about falconry right now, so as I learn about their great qualities I will post them on this post. Working and living close to the animals in nature, like falcons and pigs and horses, is something that really we have lost in modern city life. At one time hunting was a tribal event and we used falcons and dogs to hunt with, now people just use guns. Falconry for beginners by Lee Harris is a great book on falconry, and you should be able to check it out of the lending Library for Lee lives in England. Great questions, and may you always keep a zen beginners mind. Best Star Tree

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.