Bird Baths

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dave TheDruid-3X3
    Participant

Awens to All:

Things have gotten so Hot since Summer Solstice that all Moisture that was available for the Birds & Animals has all Dried Up already. We are now Breaking Annual Heat Records! We had already had a couple of days that went over 40*.

So I put out a Tray full of Water for the Birds & Animals to have someplace to get something to Drink.

I do not have a proper Bird Bath so I got out an ordinary Baking Tray to put out with Water in it.

I might either Buy or Build a Proper Bird Bath.

3X3

Angela Lawton
    Participant

Hi Dave that’s a coincidence, I’ve recently dug out an old bird bath and filled it with water and the sparrows have been drinking from it already. I’ve also hung bird feeders in the garden and coconut shells filled with suet and the birds empty all of these in a day! I’ve read that once you start feeding birds you have to continue as they become reliant on the source. I’m hoping to attract some blue tits as well as sparrows into the garden. It can be an expensive game !

Dowrgi
    Participant

Hello,

It’s nice to feed birds and provide them with water and my family have always done this, however, there are some pros and cons with it all – sometimes even well-intentioned actions can be harmful. Once you start feeding the birds, you have to commit to it and this can run the risk of the birds becoming too reliant on you as a food source, so, as Angela has pointed out, once you create the food and water source, you take on the responsibility of maintaining it. It’s a good idea to look up what kinds of bird feeder and what kinds of feed are best suited to your area and local species. Another important thing is to make sure that bird baths and feeders are hygienic and cleaned or replaced regularly as by encouraging a lot of species to one spot, you could inadvertently be creating a hotspot for disease; this is important for yours and the birds’ health. Clear old feed off bird tables, keep tables, baths and feeders clean and remember to wash your hands/wear gloves and take appropriate hygiene measures yourself. The RSPB website has a lot of useful information about the best practices to adopt when feeding birds. With all the concreting over gardens, chopping down trees, cats, garden pesticides and general habitat destruction that has been so disastrous for bird populations, they do need all the help they can get. It’s also a druidic/Celtic/folklore belief that people may be reincarnated as birds, so there’s some feed for thought.

Bennathow
    /|\

david poole
    Participant

That is a very compassionate action 3 x 3. If you want the bath to be just for the birds then make sure that it is raised off of the ground, otherwise other animals will also take the food, unless that is your intention and you put out enough for all of them. Some types of food are supposed to be particularly good for birds, some not bread for example apparently does not really help them that much. Also, be aware that some birds can be bullies in the garden, such as pigeons, which can take over and take food for themselves leaving smaller birds with nothing. In order to prevent this you may need to consider alternative means, such as bird seed in sealed containers or feeders which only the smaller birds can feed from

Dannorix
    Participant

I have a small feeder stuck to my window which in the spring attracted tits who came twice a day. Unfortunately I haven’t seen them for a while, but since last week I have a jay come over a couple of times a day. I live in a quiet neighbourhood in Amsterdam, and its teeming with birds, like geese, robins, blackbirds, tits, jackdaws, magpies and recently we also have crows. There’s is a particular magic about birds. I remember the robins in Chalice Well Gardens felt like incarnations of very old spirits of place.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.