Battle of the Trees

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    tony1kenobi
    Participant

I have a few musings on the meanings of the first two lines of the poem and thought I might trigger some discussion.

I was in many forms
    Before I was freed from restraint.

It seems paradoxical as ‘many forms’ implies freedom. The notes refer to all of existence – Does it literally mean all forms, or some particular forms…
    And ‘many forms’ before being freed from restraint, does that mean that even more forms can be taken on and what might the restraint refer to…

The feeling I get is that the first line refers to The formless basis of the universe that can takes on any form – all of existence – the ground of all things, the quantum probabilistic creation of all things/forms…

In the second line what is the restraint referred to. Is it that the restraint was lifted and then something similar to the Big Bang occurred or was it simply that his thoughts were freed from restraint and he became aware of all of existence and the interconnectedness of all things…

tony1kenobi
    Participant

Anyone got any comments on this, it is a very intriguing poem 🙂

tony1kenobi
    Participant

Not to worry, I must away,
    Thanks all for the interactions,
    I wish you all every success in your continuing journey

Dowrgi
    Participant

Hi Tony,

I’d be careful with translations. I’ve read other translations, which can create a different view of things. Having said that, I think you could read it as being formless and chaotic could mean having no control or order, something that would no doubt have been very important to a Medieval listener, and thus coming into a form, he is freed from the restraints of chaos.

That’s just my take on it, I must say I’ll need to give it much more thought and have a look at the original Welsh, too.

Bennathow
    /|\

tony1kenobi
    Participant

Thanks Dowrgi,

I will indeed be careful with translations.
    So you know I have stopped the course and am taking a different angle on Druidry so I won’t in this forum form here on, but I will still engage where appropriate in the public forum.
    Thanks to you and David for the inspiration and helpful dialogue

cheers
    Tony

Dowrgi
    Participant

(Just in case you can still read this message.) Sorry to see you go Tony, but good luck with the path and angle that you have chosen. I look forward to seeing you on the main board.

Bennathow
    /|\

Greywolf
    Keymaster

We’re not making best use of these student forums. We’re now thinking of moving all interactions with tutors onto here instead of via email. The first thing to do is to get all our tutors logging in on a more regular basis. I say this as one of the worst offenders. Having been devoting more-or-less all my time for the last year to upgrading the bardic course, I’ve only been dropping in here very infrequently. That said, our tutors are all volunteers and most have other jobs they must do to earn a crust, so don’t be too harsh on them.
    On the Battle of Trees. Yes, there are a number of translations around, all of which read more or less differently from each other. Medieval Welsh is not the easiest to translate. The translation we have now is, we believe, the best currently available and certainly a lot more accurate than the Victorian one we were using before.
    “I was in many forms
    Before I was freed from restraint.”
    Could refer to a group of previous existences/lives gone through before the final enlightenment is gained by drinking from the cauldron of Ceridwen.
    Many blessings,
    Greywolf /|\

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.