Bardic Course 11 – Exercise 1 Your Hero Journey

The British Druid Order Forums Student Support Forums Bardic Student Support Forum Bardic Course 11 – Exercise 1 Your Hero Journey

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mark Scales
    Participant

Good afternoon to all

I am just pondering over Exercise 1 Your Hero Journey (probably pondering too much) and I have over a few days really thought about the six questions and answered them honestly and truthfully about myself. I then felt the symbols naturally come to me and have drawn them as I would envisage them to appear from my thoughts on myself in these questions.

Regarding writing your own personal myth in six stages, I was hoping I could get a little advice on how I should approach this next stage and maybe some examples of how previous students have approached this piece of learning please. I feel a little bewildered with myself as I am writing a lot of poetry and a short story book at the moment, working on them daily and enjoying it a lot, so it feels odd that I would be struggling with this task at the moment.

I really look forward to hearing back from you and steering me back onto the right track.

Warmest wishes
    Mark

True Owl
    Participant

Hi Mark,

Sorry if I am speaking out of turn here – Hope you don’t mind me giving some thoughts on your question on writing a personal myth.

I’ve put this list together that might assist you in some small way :

– Contemplate your own life story, including family matters since child-hood.

– Write down your life story, using sub-headings for the categories below (or if possible, into the six stages as mentioned in Bardic 11) :

– Fill out your background history : Place of birth, birth date, history of the place, family beliefs – social attitudes of the time & upbringing, with brothers & sisters.

– Identify your family rituals through the years (birthdays, marriage, children, school, college, University, work, holidays, retirement, funerals).

– Identify responsibilities that changed in your life as you grew up.

– Write down any dreams or ambitions, and the impact they’ve had on your life – include successes & failures.
    Could also include interests & hobbies, etc.

– Religious beliefs through time and how they have personally changed for you and affected your life, & the impact on your family, (ie. I grew up in a Christian family, but to my parents horror, in my teens, I changed to the ways of a nature based religion / druidry).

– Look at how your work has progressed / changed over the years (the positions held in the past, as to those of the present – Career goals met, or not met).

– Major events that have influenced your life, and any big changes made in your life because of them.

– Memories – Looking back as you grow older & how things / society have changed (some things for the worse, some for the better!).

Hope that is of help to you.

Jules.

Mark Scales
    Participant

Hi Jules

Your message has helped me enormously thank you.

I really appreciate you taking the time to support me as it is the first section of my bardic journey where I felt I had really hit a bit of a roadblock.

Kindest regards to you
    Mark

True Owl
    Participant

Hi Mark,

No worries – Glad to have been of help.

Jules.

James Fox
    Participant

Yes I’ve just reached this exercise and the text seems to suggest that there will be further guidance to come, such as working examples. At first I thought that the next lesson might continue the exercise, but no. So I’m just wondering if there’s something missing at the end of the exercise.

True Owl
    Participant

Hi James,

A supplementary page has now been added for this : ‘Hero Journey Exercise’ for Booklet 11, which can be downloaded from the Package 3 section within Course Downloads.

Blessings,
    Jules.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.