Bard Groups / Forums

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mark Scales
    Participant

Having truly found a pursuit I love in Druidry and in the process of undertaking the bardic course, I have always enjoyed storytelling and I am looking at doing bardic type tales at the 2022 Out There Festival to the public. The event is usually held annually in Great Yarmouth and it hosts an array of artistic talent from around the world in a free weekend event for the public.
    I am looking to try and reach out to any local bards or bardic groups in the Norfolk area, such as Gorleston, Great Yarmouth, Norwich etc. and I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of bards or bardic groups that I could make contact with to practice and improve my storytelling capabilities in order to build my confidence to participate in the Out There Festival next year, as well as making some new friends and acquaintances along the way.
    With thanks, Mark

Dowrgi
    Participant

I’m afraid I can’t help with this one. Have you tried just doing a web search for druid/bardic groups in the area?

Bennathow
    /|\

Mark Scales
    Participant

Yes unfortunately I only found one local group (grove) who practise under the OBOD and they did not seem particularly keen on welcoming someone who was studying elsewhere.

Kind regards
    Mark

Dowrgi
    Participant

Hi Mark,

Hmmm … doesn’t sound very welcoming, does it? Oh well, here are some tips I’d offer:

1) Read and listen to epic ancient poetry, the Iliad and Beowulf in poetic translations; read them aloud so as to get the feel for the rhythm. I feel that bards were also a bit like modern rappers, in a sense.
    2) Learn your own material and practise it – you could record yourself and be your own director, so to speak.
    3) Listen to Under Milk Wood by Dylan Thomas – the BBC versions with Richard Burton’s narration are fantastic.
    4) Why not enrol in your local amateur dramatics society, or find one online? If you can do a convincing Hamlet, you should be all right! 😀

and …

5) Don’t allow yourself to be put off by others.

Bennathow
    /|\

Mark Scales
    Participant

Do you think there would be any merit in proposing a regular catch up online between those who are undertaking the bardic course to chat, get to know each other, share ideas/insights and have the opportunity to seek guidance on any questions we might have? I think it would be an excellent way of building a community feel to the learning.

Mark Scales
    Participant

Thought I would share that I have been invited to the BBDD (Bardic Banter and Druidic Drivel) discussion group with some lovely people who are members of the OBOD and have their own get together under the Big Sky Grove. The aim is to share some general banter, story telling and poems through an online group. I am really pleased as they are local to my area in Norfolk and this will be great learning for me on my Bardic Journey. I have shared as it is lovely to see that despite people learning through different mediums, we can still come together to help each other on our journey.
    Warmest wishes to all
    Mark

True Owl
    Participant

Hi Mark,

That sounds very good, and is right up your street for helping you with your story-telling skills, & also for the festival you mentioned performing at next year.

A nice find & with folk local to your area in Norfolk, it sounds ideal for what you are looking for.

Amazing how sometimes these things just fall into place, when you need them.

Blessings,

Jules.

Dowrgi
    Participant

Hi Mark,

Glad to hear that you got something sorted out for yourself.

Bennathow
    /|\

PS. Sorry I haven’t replied sooner, but I’ve been having some difficulty posting on the forums, fingers crossed it’s been resolved now.

Mark Scales
    Participant

Hi Dowrgi

Regarding my previous post do you think the BDO would see any merit in suggesting an online fortnightly / monthly catch up for those on the Bardic Course who may want to get to know other fellow students, share stores, ideas, questions on the course etc.?

I am happy to help and support setting this up if this is something of value that students like myself would benefit from, particularly given learning has been so isolating to date what with COVID-19 restricting social interaction.

With thanks
    Mark

Dowrgi
    Participant

Hi Mark,

Well, I can’t speak for the BDO, but I don’t see what the problem would be if people were interested. It might be a bit tricky with time differences and people’s commitments, but why not suggest it to the Admin team?

Bennathow
    /|\

Karin Rainbird
    Participant

Does it necessarily have to be a Bardic or Druidic group? What about a local Pagan Moot? I run the local Moot in my area, and we have had a few Moots where the focus has been story telling.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.